News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb issues?

Started by wayfast1500, June 15, 2009, 10:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayfast1500

I just took my charger out for the first time today.  It runs real well, but if I step on it at cruising speed it almost has a flat spot/falls on it's face almost stalls.  When it gets past this I can hear either a cylinder misfiring or pinging.  This caused by a dirty fuel system? Wrong octane (87)? Carb out of adjustment (stock 2bbl 318)?

c00nhunterjoe

first time since when? could be old nasty gas, could be timing way off, could be a gummed up carb, or all of the above.

wayfast1500

Last time the car was registered was 05, I've been starting it and letting it warm up atliest every other day for the past few months.  I put 5 gallons of fresh gas in today.  I think I'll add some seafoam to see if it will flush the carb out?  New carbs look cheaper than to rebuild it so I might go that route if that doesn't work.  Should I try to retard the timing a few degrees?

c00nhunterjoe

check the timing with a light first.

wayfast1500

Plug 1 correct? Drivers side front? Disconnect vacuum advance?

y3chargerrt

Runner

might try putting a new set of plugs in it

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six