News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Found a '66 Ford Fairlane 500 GTA with fiberglass hood today!

Started by Dans 68, June 20, 2009, 11:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dans 68

I went to a customers home today to look at a job, and noticed a very striking car parked in front of their house. Seems it was the wife's, passed on from her father when he passed on. I did a little on-line exploring and discovered that a limited number of GTA's had the factory fiberglass hood installed as part of a racing package. It does look original. Very rare. And a nice survivor. I'm not looking to try to buy it, or have anyone else try, but just that there still are some nice cars out there. When I see her next week (the Missus, that is  :D) I'm going to try to get some hood off shots. And here I thought that an early Saturday appointment would mess up my day.... :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

mauve66

usually a 390 or better motor if i remember correctly
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Neal_J

Hood pin placement doesn't appear to be factory, I'd say.

Cool looking car.  Gonna ask for a ride?!~

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

FJ5WING

Quote from: Neal_J on June 21, 2009, 12:14:44 AM

I love the car but that pin placement is awful. :eek2:

wingless now, but still around.

chargerrt

Quote from: Neal_J on June 21, 2009, 12:14:44 AM

The paint doesn't match-up very well either, but that might be because it's fiberglass.  Anywho, that's my favorite Ford bodystyle out of the 60's.  I just love those Fairlanes!

Sublime/Sixpack

I've always liked the GTA's and the Mercury Comet Cyclone of the same vintage. Good body style! Thanks for sharing the photos.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

69*F5*SE

FJ6N96

My brother, Charlie had one of those in 68, but his was a GT, meaning that it had a four speed.  I hate to say, but he wrecked it.  I'll up load picture if I can find them.   

FJ7N96

BrianShaughnessy

Somebody at work here has one - can't recall the name.   This was from the company car show a few years back.
Nice car  :2thumbs:
He has some serious meats stuffed under the back.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

PocketThunder

Be sure to reference the car when you ask her to take her hood off.. !!   :o          :D
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Charger_Fan

Too bad it's not a convertible, or you could work "topless" into that request somewhere, too. :D

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ghoste

The factory version wasn't a four pin lift off hood though was it?  Wasn't it a hinged fiberglass?

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Ghoste on June 24, 2009, 01:14:31 PM
The factory version wasn't a four pin lift off hood though was it?  Wasn't it a hinged fiberglass?
Yes, I'm fairly certain...at least anything that's not a full out race car. If I recall, those hoods started out on the factory lightweight 427 drag cars...then became an over the counter add-on later on.
And BTW...the "A" in GTA means automatic for Fairlanes & Mustangs. If a car has GT emblems in '66/'67, it should be a stick shift.

K, that's enough Ferd education. :icon_smile_tongue:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

sunroofsuperbird

Yes factory was hinged. I would say its a clone as it has GT emblems but has the wrong Fairline emblems on quarters. all GT and GTAs had each letter seperate and these look made together.
Some of My Mopars
69 Charger R/T 4x4
71 Challenger R/T stationwagon
70 Sunroof superbird clone
70 Superbird conv
69 Daytona 4X4 clone
68 GTX conv
71 Challenger conv pace car
70 Swinger Conv
2 78 Aspen Super Coupes
78 Aspen Super Coupe Sedan Delivery
80 Aspen Load Runner wagon
67 Fury 6 door limo wagon
76 Aspen R/T sunroof
38 dodge street rod
40 Dodge Tk street rod
and many more projects

70daytonaclone

my 69 torino is a gt and it is a automatic body. has a factory steel fresh air hood! I will be installing the mighty mouse engine. a 351 cleveland. friend found engine at upull  for 200$ it even has 4 bbl heads! S

FJ5WING

No GTA's in 69 for any model and no Torino's were GTA desiginated.

I think the GTA was 68 specific? maybe 67 too. I foget stuff from yesterday, nevermind when I was into the Ford stuff. :lol:
wingless now, but still around.

Ghoste

GTA for the Fairlane was 66 and 67.  Mustang used the GTA designation in 67 and 68.