News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bendix 4 piston brakes.

Started by roger440, June 14, 2009, 02:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roger440

My 69 RT/SE came with the 4 piston bendix setup.

Like the rest of the car, they are need of repair.

Who can supply parts for them or alternatively, who restores them?

Also, my discs are not great but will clean up with a skim. What i cant find if the minimum thickness dimension for the discs as i think they may have been done before more than once.

i dont want to change to something else as this is a full restoration, mostly to original spec.

1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
1970 Plymouth Roadrunner - SOLD
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1970 Triumph 2000 Estate, fitted Rover V8
1961 Standard Atlas
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester

mopar_nut_440_6

I would be curious to know as well. On a 68.

Thanks,
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

maxwellwedge

The 69 Discs are not supposed to be cut according to the FSM. That being said they are good for 1 or 2 depending how deep you have to cut to clean them up. There is a great place up here in Ontario. Anything me or others I know have sent to Stainless Steel Brakes usually leaks. The pads are around but not that plentiful. Chryser doesn't make them anymore....I heard someone is but don't know who. NOS is what I had to buy last time (ouch).

boys3rt

Alretta Truck Parts located in Framingham, Massachusetts has the pads and NOS Brake Rotors. Year One sells the repro unicast rotors right hand thread wheel studs only.

Good Luck

mopar_nut_440_6

Thanks for the info!

Maybe time to upgrade and put my stock stuff away!
1968 Charger R/T 440 

Ghoste

Same as what has already pretty much been said.  I had to go NOS for discs and pads with mine.  With the amount I drive it I should be okay for some time now but like maxwellwedge says, "ouch".

resq302

This is why I am getting a complete second set up for my car.  For the just in case....
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

I have some extras now too for "just in case".

johntpr

The rotors you say Alretta truck parts have that are NOS.....  Do you mean NOS in original Mopar boxes etc or are they the repro ones made by durabrake? Durabrake makes just the rotor portion of the original 2 piece design.  I am having an issue now where they are hitting the calipers in the hub area and have to be machined. The original rotors are stepped down in the hub area to clear the calipers for good reason.

roger440

Quote from: Ghoste on June 14, 2009, 08:15:42 PM
Same as what has already pretty much been said.  I had to go NOS for discs and pads with mine.  With the amount I drive it I should be okay for some time now but like maxwellwedge says, "ouch".

Where did you get your rotors from? Ive seen the yearone rotors, but they are are 1 peice so didnt really want to do that. If NOS is that rare i might have to and keep my old ones.

Am i right that you have to do machining to fit the yearone rotors. What do you machine.

1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1961 Standard Atlas
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester

johntpr

1966-1969 B-Body Rotors (Bendix) for Charger, Coronet, GTX, Road
Runner, etc
We have re-manufactured the obsolete Bendix rotors for the Chrysler B-
Bodies which include 1966-1969 Dodge Coronets and Chargers, Plymouth
Belvedere, Satellite, GTX, and Road Runner. This is for the two-piece
setup and is the rotor only. If you have any questions please do not
hesitate to contact us at shaun@durabrake.com... or 650-210-9315x109. If
you would like to find out more about our company feel free to check
out our website at www.durabrake.com. Price per rotor = $169 plus $10
shipping each in stock now.

Above is their ad.  I bought them... these are the rotors only....you must use your old original mopar hub...and the issue I am having is the hub area is not stepped down enough to clear the calipers...machine shop is working on now.  The repro one piece ones have the same problem after talking to those that have them. Original rotors are stepped down in the hub area to clear the calipers. Both kinds of repros..one piece or two piece are not and will hit the calipers just enought to require machining.

http://www.apexautosports.com/store.html      these folks have the wheel studs too.

mopar_nut_440_6

Quote from: johntpr on June 15, 2009, 03:18:43 PM
1966-1969 B-Body Rotors (Bendix) for Charger, Coronet, GTX, Road
Runner, etc
We have re-manufactured the obsolete Bendix rotors for the Chrysler B-
Bodies which include 1966-1969 Dodge Coronets and Chargers, Plymouth
Belvedere, Satellite, GTX, and Road Runner. This is for the two-piece
setup and is the rotor only. If you have any questions please do not
hesitate to contact us at shaun@durabrake.com... or 650-210-9315x109. If
you would like to find out more about our company feel free to check
out our website at www.durabrake.com. Price per rotor = $169 plus $10
shipping each in stock now.

Above is their ad.  I bought them... these are the rotors only....you must use your old original mopar hub...and the issue I am having is the hub area is not stepped down enough to clear the calipers...machine shop is working on now.  The repro one piece ones have the same problem after talking to those that have them. Original rotors are stepped down in the hub area to clear the calipers. Both kinds of repros..one piece or two piece are not and will hit the calipers just enought to require machining.

http://www.apexautosports.com/store.html      these folks have the wheel studs too.

You would think the manufacturer would rectify this problem especially due to the steep cost!
1968 Charger R/T 440 

Ghoste

Roger440, the ones I have I found at swap meets.  There is an NOS set on the car and I have an excellent pair of used ones for backup.  I also kept the originals from the car in case of dire emergency but they are pretty bad.

roger440

Quote from: Ghoste on June 16, 2009, 06:48:34 AM
Roger440, the ones I have I found at swap meets.  There is an NOS set on the car and I have an excellent pair of used ones for backup.  I also kept the originals from the car in case of dire emergency but they are pretty bad.

Sounds like a plan! Might put my originals away (which would be OK with a skim, but maybe too thin) and buy a set of 2 piece repros.
1969 Dodge Charger RT/SE
2017 HSV Maloo
2003 Holden SS Ute
1961 Standard Atlas
1974 Triumph Stag
2003 Subaru Forester