News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which ones would you guys run with

Started by MORFF, June 05, 2010, 02:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MORFF

I am getting excited Feb. is getting closer and thats when I am doing suspension and brakes both look good for what I need. Not sure if either one has problems.

Price: $2,959.95 http://www.hotchkis.net
66-69 Mopar B-Body TVS System
The new Hotchkis Total Vehicle System for 1966-1969 Charger, Coronet, Road Runner muscle cars is the easiest and most effective way to give your Mopar incredible sports car handling. Engineered as a tuned performance system, the TVS kit will reduce body roll, dramatically improve handling and create incredible driver control for a more enjoyable driving experience. Balanced handling is achieved using geometry corrected upper control arms, adjustable strut rods, adjustable steering rods, front and rear sport sway bars, geometry corrected rear leaf springs, and sub frame connectors. The Hotchkis TVS works with your stock K-member, preserving the soul of your Mopar. While infusing it with incredible, heart-pounding Viper handling.

OR

XV LEVEL I SUSPENSION Price: $2,250.00 http://www.xvmotorsports.com

The objective of the Level I Suspension is to deliver the best handling possible while utilizing stock type components, fully dialed in and optimized for use with modern high performance tires, in a 100% bolt-on solution.

The XV Level I Suspension is a complete system of matched components dialed in for each platform ( E & B-Body) with uniquely valved shocks, torsion bars, leaf springs and anti-roll bars for each platform. Unlike our Level II system, it maintains the stock geometry and is a direct bolt in package.

The XV Level I Suspension is ideal for restorations or for use on rare cars where permanent changes would affect the value. Bag and tag your original pieces and you have the best of all worlds - the best handling available out of a stock type Mopar suspension and the ability to put the car back to stock at any time. Add some new wheels and tires and you will have an unbelievable improvement over your current setup.

It is important to realize that the shock and spring rates are designed to work together and are designed for use with modern high performance tires. We are not using generic shocks; ours are valved for the specific platform.
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

69bronzeT5

I've personally been in a '70 Challenger T/A with the complete Hotchkis system (it's their test car) and their product sure was proved to me. That Challenger handled like it was on rails and I was VERY impressed! I'm not sure about XV Motorsports stuff, I've also heard great things about their stuff but I haven't experienced their products first hand.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

elacruze

I looked at the options and chose a different way.
I went with the Firm Feel stage II steering box, shocks, F & R swaybars, 1" torsion bars, tubular upper control arms, bilstein shocks and 11/16" tie rods for a total of about $2000 all in. I bought another K-member on ebay, $100 in the door which I can reinforce and weld myself. I can also fab new rear spring hangars and shackles if I care to change the roll steer and dynamic of the rear.

Rather than buy a pre-engineered kit which cost more than these parts, I elected to buy components I knew I wanted one at a time-as it turned out, Firmfeel had everything I wanted in one place. I admit to having a fairly thorough knowledge of suspension dynamics and how to tune my own chassis, and the parts I bought will allow me to do that. Plus, it's all less expensive and if I don't achieve the maximum possible with those other kits, I doubt if anybody will ever see it on the street. I'm not likely to ever have tires on the car that could use the difference, so I've really spent a lot more than necessary anyway.  :Twocents:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

HPP

It kind of depends on how you want to use your car, and if that use involves and rules dependant sanctioning body limitations.

Here is my take on it; XV improves ride and handling by matching components to achieve the best balance of wheel rates. These wheel rates are acheives through complimentary t-bar,leaf spring, and front and rear S bar set ups that are all controlled by specificallly valved shock combinations. By using the stock geomtery they produce a car that will be a big improvement for 95% of the drivers out there who never get any mroe competitive than the on ramp shuffle at high way speeds.

Hotchkis achieves their improvements through changes in the actual geometry that overcomes the few shortcomings of the stock set up which will optimize control through cleaner motion that is more like a late model car's geometry than a classic car's geometry. This produces a car that is smoother and more predictable which will satisfy about 95% of the drivers out there. However, since they don't match rates of bars, springs and shocks, they are leaving some performance on the table. But, like above, the 5% of driver's who can notice that level of change will already have those types of set up on their car already and will only need the improved motion of the Hotchkis kit.

If you plan on using your car in any type of sanctioned racing event, such as SCCA or NASA, the changes in geometry created by the Hotchkis system may put you in  a class where you will get eaten alive by more dedicated race vehciles, whereas the XV system  will still leave you at lower level, stock type classifications.

Can you put together your own set up for less coin, yes. And many have done that. However, if you don't understand the mathmatics that go in to the balance and complimentary set ups to acheive that balance, then you may be better off purchasing a system.

MORFF

TKS for all input I will be using the car mostly for road driving. I wanted a suspension that was better than stock and handle like cars today. If I put it on the track it would be for drag racing for fun if they have the class in ct. like they did when i was stationed in Jacksonville,NC. basically it was a class where you can drag your street cars to have fun and see what your car had in the quarter mile. with that does it clear things up for everyone. I do not have the know how to custom my own suspension but i do have the know how when it comes to drive train. tks again every one
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

WHITE AND RED 69

Some time in the fall I am going with the hotchkis setup. I have ridden in the hotchkis challenger and the setup works really well. I'm sure both setups work very good but it seems like you get alot more with the hotchkis setup than with the xv. you can get the hotchkis setup cheaper from year one ($2375) or buying the individual pieces from summit or jegs is still cheaper than whats on the hotchkis site.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster