News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trans slips in drive

Started by moparjohn, June 13, 2009, 08:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparjohn

OK, Wagon tranny woes.  I went to work 2day, seemed fine.  On the way home 1good, shift to 2 good, shift to 3rd good, then slip, engine reves up, still movin but not enough.  I got to check the tranny fluid, added a 1/2 quart. It's now at the line above where it reads add 1/2 a pint (maybe pint??sorry I forget) then there is a space on the stick and then the full line.  Without sounding stupid, should I add a 1/2 quart or a whole quart?? And do you think this will end the problem?? I have only had the car out maybe 5 times so far.  Thanks MPJ
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

John_Kunkel

If the fluid level (checked when warm, idling in Neutral) is at the add 1 pint line, the fluid level isn't your problem.

Slipping in 3rd gear is a problem in the front clutch, the front clutch is also used in Reverse....is Reverse OK? What's the history of the transmission? If the history is unknown, a clogged filter could be the problem but the clutch is the most likely culprit.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

moparjohn

Reverse is fine, shifts into firmly w/no slip.  Car in question has 84 or 184K miles.  I just got it, yet to do fluid and filter change. Thanks MPJ

flyinlow

Stationwagon? what trans?

Good 2-3 shift then slips?   2-3 shift is the kickdown band releasing and front clutch applying. Not sure how you would get a good shift , then start slipping?

Pull the pan . How much friction material do you find in the bottom? If minimal ,change the filter and try it.  :Twocents:

moparjohn