News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Changing the original color - hurt value that much?

Started by bsakal, June 11, 2009, 06:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsakal

Hey all. I am thinking of changing the original color of my SE from F3 to one of the T colors. I really love the T5 and T7, and I've never been a big fan of the F3. My car is an original vinyl top car (green) with a black interior. Does it hurt the value that much to change colors, if I use a factory shade? I wonder how T7 would look with a black gut.....Opinions welcome!
69 Charger SE - 66 Chrysler Newport 383

Hemidoug

Depends....why ya building the car....for fun or for money?
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

bsakal

Doug,
for me to have fun and enjoy, but part of me is stuck on originality.

Ghoste

If you are talking about some ultra rare 1 of 12 Hemi something or other than deviating from the stock color is a bad idea.  By the same token, if you painted your 318 four door Coronet some pukey shade of flat pastel purple, that could also be a bad idea.  I also worry a little bit about resale if you are talking about trendy things like the recent "flip flop holographic" whatever paints.  Beyond that you should pretty much go with whatever color YOU like.
If it helps, the T colors all seem to be a little morepopular lately than say, ten years ago.

jaak

If you want it for fun and to enjoy it... Build it the way you want...you will be happier with it.

Jason

Hemidoug

When I first did my 71 R/T back in 1980....changed the color from gf7 to r4.....I liked it, it looked great in red.
The second time I did the body I went back to GF7 green.....and I'm glad I did. How many GF7 green 71s are there compared to how many R4 red ones? Unique is good to....
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

Sublime/Sixpack

I like the factory color combo of your Charger bsakal, so if it were mine I'd stick somewhat close to the factory shade, but then its not my call.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

r_biccum

Its your car, unless its a flip or investment car, paint it any color you like  :icon_smile_cool:
1969 Dodge Charger SE 383 727 #'s matching with original 8 track
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

69*F5*SE

My Charger is supposed to be F5 Medium Green Metallic.  It has a green interior so I'm kind of stuck on painting it its original green color.  If my interior was black I could go with almost any color.  I know I can change the color of the interior but, I'm not gonna.  Car's going to be green I guess.  The color has grown on me.  All this will happen eventually.  It's all torn apart now.  Its even supposed to have a green vinyl top.

Ghoste

Everyone should also be aware that if you buy a wing car in one of those real funky custom paint jobs from the 70's and you return it to stock, you need to know that Mopar Collectors Guide will pass harsh public judgement on you for not leaving it the way they think it should be.

rarefish

I have always been a fan of cars that are painted factory original colors. So you ask would it hurt the value? To me if I was buying I would say yes it. I have looked at many possible cars to buy over the last 25 years and if I see that the color has been changed I would most likely pass on it unless it was a bargin price. This is just my opinion. I know there is some who really don't care about color changes as long as they like the car

dodgecharger-fan

I think it depends on the car and to some extent, the potential buyer/future owner.

Rare combo or not, if everything else is original or stock replacements, I'd say stick to the original colour.
Changing the colour and nothing else just seems like a make-work project for the future - whether it be you changing it back or a future owner - if it comes to that..

If a future owner or potential buyer sees everything stock except the colour, they'll see it as a complete tear down to put it back to original colour, and if they're thinking right, they'll be figuring the cost of that work into the overall cost of acquiring the car. It might be a deal breaker for them.

On the other hand, if the car is significantly altered in other ways, the car will likely attract a different crowd of potential buyers that won't really care about a change in colour because they already like it or have a plan in their head for some more modifications.

So, future value could swing one way or the other - I think - depending on what the rest of the car is today.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ghoste on June 11, 2009, 06:40:17 PM
If you are talking about some ultra rare 1 of 12 Hemi something or other than deviating from the stock color is a bad idea.  By the same token, if you painted your 318 four door Coronet some pukey shade of flat pastel purple, that could also be a bad idea.  I also worry a little bit about resale if you are talking about trendy things like the recent "flip flop holographic" whatever paints.  Beyond that you should pretty much go with whatever color YOU like.
If it helps, the T colors all seem to be a little morepopular lately than say, ten years ago.

I agree, but if I owned some 1 of 12 car that was originally painted like that '71 Barracuda I recently sold, I'd change it to what I liked. Damn color was "Tawny Gold" which should have been called "Skid Mark Brown"  :lol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

1969chargerrtse

My thought is it can always be changed back so do as you like.  I love T5.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

TUFCAT

Quote from: Old Moparz on June 12, 2009, 09:25:43 AM

I agree, but if I owned some 1 of 12 car that was originally painted like that '71 Barracuda I recently sold, I'd change it to what I liked. Damn color was "Tawny Gold" which should have been called "Skid Mark Brown"  :lol:\

"Skid Mark Brown"!!! That's  funny!  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

1970Moparmann

I've always kept the original color off all my cars.  I'm building a 68 now, and this is the first car I'm making how I want it..  It's originally green on green, and making it black on black.  Since I'm changing the interior, I decided to buy a black steering wheel (stock) and also new seat belts.  This way I have the original condition pieces if I ever want to put the color back to original.  

I say go for it, if your keeping the car..... It's only money :D.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Khyron

stay original...

LOL not, paint it how you like it :)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

Forza

Unless you plan on painting it hot pink and replacing the wheels with pogo sticks I don't see how it will hurt its value. If you do decide to sell it later on I'm sure there will always be someone out there drooling over your color combo.

Doright

Quote from: Old Moparz on June 12, 2009, 09:25:43 AM

I agree, but if I owned some 1 of 12 car that was originally painted like that '71 Barracuda I recently sold, I'd change it to what I liked. Damn color was "Tawny Gold" which should have been called "Skid Mark Brown"  :lol:
[/quote]

I agree Tawney Gold sucks! GY9? Skidmarkbrown that's a better name for it!
I think who ever was in charge of picking colors for Chrysler back then was living a better life through chemicals  :shruggy:  :eek2: The Stock colors suck for the most part If it wernt for the styling ad HP Chrysler would never sold a car.

Doing a complete color change is a big job think twice
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

Belgium R/T -68

If everything else is 100% original it maybe has a negative influence but how many cars are like that? Mine was originally
JJ1 Gold and I choosed for sublime green. If somebody or myself want's to put it back to original it's all prepared, just a repaint needed.
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

bsakal

Thanks for all your comments. I'm still on the fence about this, the car is completely disassembled so changing the color would not be a big deal at this time (when I get ready to paint it).

PocketThunder

I vote for paint your car what ever color you want.

Quote from: Khyron on June 12, 2009, 01:22:56 PM
stay original...

LOL not, paint it how you like it :)

:hah:   You said "not", i think that went out of style in 1992, maybe 1991.

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."