News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Pinion yoke and u-joint problem . . . still

Started by terrible one, June 04, 2009, 05:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

Jackson,
I can't get to into this one right now cause i'm at work but when I get home I will spend some time on this thread and give all the information you need to answer this question.  Yes I do believe you have the 1330 glad you caught that because I forgot to write it in my post.

Anyways I have multiple rear chunks with every case 741 742 489.

I also have a couple yokes so let me do some digging tonight and I maybe can help you out.  I'll post more info later this afternoon, gotta do some measuring and stuff.

Also, 741 pinion depth and bearing preload is set with shims. Differential bearing setting (ie. backlash ) is set with threaded adjusters.

I just put a 741/3.91 pig in my junk and I had it apart to clean it up.  I even changed yokes and all you have to do is massage it off the end.  It will be tough due to age most likely but it will slide off.  Also you will want to change the pinion seal since you are changing yokes.  I will give you the vendor for that seal cause I just used my last one.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

terrible one

Mike,

Thanks so much for helping me through this. I really appreciate you putting in your time! I'm pretty relieved that it doesn't seem like too big of a deal to change the yokes out. I'll try and get a spline count today too just to put the icing on the cake. You're a lifesaver dude!

mikepmcs

Spline count will be 10.  Only 489's have both the 29 and 10 spline question/dilemma.

One more thing.... when you take the yoke out, there is a solid pinion bearing spacer that is behind the yoke(looks like a big impact socket)and it's in all 741 cases. It has a tapered end and a flat end.  Be careful when you take the yoke out that it doesn't fall out and you don't know which side goes in first. 

Just for kicks, call your local dealer and see if this is in stock.

Seal: National 8515N(pinion seal)
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

terrible one

Thanks again man.

NOBODY here has that seal in stock but Advance Auto said they could have it by Sunday or Monday so I pulled the trigger on that.

Thanks for the tip on the spacer! Lord knows I would have come here asking which way it went!

I guess now all that's left to do is find a 10 spline 7260 yoke USED. I can't believe the $140, etc. for a new yoke!

I'm glad I slept my frustration off from yesterday. It looks like this might end up being alright haha

c00nhunterjoe

i'm glad to see its now figured out. hope you get it mobile soon

mikepmcs

Ok, I'm home and am just getting sorted.  On the seal.  Make sure it looks like this picture.  741 and 489 take the same seal.  742 looks different(does not have the flat edge/rim whatever you call it)
I'll be back gotta see what yokes i have. 

mikepmcs

Jackson,
This is what I was able to find.  It's had a hard road but I believe it will still do the job to get the car on the road. I chased the threads and cleaned it up a little, the bolts run in and out smoothly on the straps and it just needs a good greasing before install.  Confirm that in fact you need a 7260.  Inner diameter is 2-1/8 as shown in the picture.  My other yoke measured out at 2-3/8 which I find strange because I thought the 7290 was 2-5/8 ID?  Anyway, I scabbed the straps off the nice yoke for this one.  I hope the cap diameter difference in the yokes isn't enough to make these straps not work if that makes sense at all. :lol:

I also dove under my charger and measured the yoke on the 741 pig and it ran out at 2-1/8 ID as well.  I know that fits cause it's all together and running. :2thumbs:

Anyways, this should work until you can get a replacement down the road.

PM me your address and I'll get it in the mail tomorrow morning.  My post office is open until 11 on saturday.

c00nhunterjoe

:popcrn: now that is what being a dodge charger fan is all about!

terrible one

Mike! Thanks so much for hooking me up dude! PM sent!

I'll make sure I get the right seal too, so thanks for the picture of that.

And I am sure that I need the 7260. The conversion u-joint fit the driveshaft perfect on the 7290 side so there should be no question!

Really guys . . . Mike and Joe . . . thanks for all the help. This had me fed up and sick and now it's going to be all good just like that! Wish I had people like you guys down here!  :2thumbs:

So until the yoke comes in and I try it out . . .

c00nhunterjoe

mikepmcs

Second that, glad I could actually be of service.  :2thumbs: