News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How should I prime lifters before installation?

Started by WH23G3G, June 09, 2009, 09:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

What do I need to do to the lifters before I install them in my 400? I've got a new Speed Pro cam and it came with lifters. One mechanic told me to soak them overnight in a bucket of oil. The book I'm following says to squirt oil through the bleed hole, oil the lifter bore, and dab some moly grease on the foot. What's the best way to do prime these lifters before I install them?

maxwellwedge

You can do all of the above. Use a top quality break-in oil in the engine as well.

firefighter3931

I like to coat the lifter faces with moly lube....not the sides, just the face surface. Afterwards i just put them in dry and torque down the rocker assembly and dump oil on top of them. Then i prime the engine with the priming rod and rotate it over until i see oil coming out of the rocker arms....then you're ready for the initial fire-up.

As Jim stated a proper breakin oil and EP additive is essential for cam survival. Once running the engine must be kept at 2000+ rpm for the first 20-25 minutes to properly break in the cam/lifters.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

WH23G3G

What's a quality oil and additive? I've used Valvoline 10W-40 Conventional to lube everything when assembling the engine and Redline Synthetic Lube for the bearings. After everything was together I just dumped in some cheap 10W-30 to flush any contaminants that may have entered while building the block and I drained it out. What oil should use to initially start it up? One mechanic told me to use diesel 15W-40 because it has something in it that newer thin oils don't anymore. What kind of additive do I need? My cam instructions say to break in the cam at 1800-2000RPM for 20 minutes. Does it have to be at 2000RPM as soon as it fires up? What if I have to adjust the engine a little when it fires up?

firefighter3931

Rotella 15/40 diesel oil is fine along with a bottle of ZZDP+ additive. Use a Napa Gold oil filter. I like 2000 rpm for 20 minutes....as soon as the engine fires bump the idle up to 2000 and set the timing to 30* BTDC.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Purple440

firefighter3931

b5blue

Prior to start up you should prime the whole system, use a rod in the oil pump drive and run a drill on it circulate oil.Slowly rotate the motor to cycle oil to the crank and fill all parts of the system, oil will run over the lifters and flow to the rocker shafts filling them to. If you fill the lifters prior to start up you run the risk of them being over-pumped up on start up!

maxwellwedge

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 10, 2009, 12:11:36 PM
I like to coat the lifter faces with moly lube....not the sides, just the face surface. Afterwards i just put them in dry and torque down the rocker assembly and dump oil on top of them. Then i prime the engine with the priming rod and rotate it over until i see oil coming out of the rocker arms....then you're ready for the initial fire-up.

As Jim stated a proper breakin oil and EP additive is essential for cam survival. Once running the engine must be kept at 2000+ rpm for the first 20-25 minutes to properly break in the cam/lifters.

Ron

Hey Ron - Do you remember Racer Brown's break-in procedure that was in the Hustle Stuff catalog? That was some serious stuff!

b5blue

Hey how did I miss Ron's post! Sorry to repeat that!!  :o

firefighter3931

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 11, 2009, 11:19:30 AM

Hey Ron - Do you remember Racer Brown's break-in procedure that was in the Hustle Stuff catalog? That was some serious stuff!

Jim, i have never seen a Hustle Stuff Catalog.  :P I remember when Direct Connection started up in the Late 70's and I purchased a set of the "first run" Stage 4 iron heads from the dealer. I was just a high school kid at the time....but man those heads looked cool....or so i thought.  :lol:

Ron

firefighter3931

Quote from: b5blue on June 11, 2009, 07:50:05 PM
Hey how did I miss Ron's post! Sorry to repeat that!!  :o

No worries Neal....it's all good man  :cheers:

Ron

maxwellwedge

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 11, 2009, 10:48:39 PM

Jim, i have never seen a Hustle Stuff Catalog.  :P I remember when Direct Connection started up in the Late 70's and I purchased a set of the "first run" Stage 4 iron heads from the dealer. I was just a high school kid at the time....but man those heads looked cool....or so i thought.  :lol:

Ron

I will try and find one and post it. It was like 3 or 4 pages. Paint a stripe on the lifter, cut viewing holes in the valve covers to watch the lifter rotate etc  etc.   It was wild, fanatical but cool stuff.

firefighter3931

Quote from: maxwellwedge on June 12, 2009, 09:06:56 AM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 11, 2009, 10:48:39 PM

Ron

I will try and find one and post it. It was like 3 or 4 pages. Paint a stripe on the lifter, cut viewing holes in the valve covers to watch the lifter rotate etc  etc.   It was wild, fanatical but cool stuff.

I'd luv to see it....post the article if you get a chance  :2thumbs:

Holy Crap....punching holes in the VC's to watch for lifter rotation....seems a little bit over the top don't ya think ?  :lol:

FWIW, i just use a sharpie and mark the lifters and rotate the engine over by hand to look for rotation....it's allways worked fine for me. Pretty easy to see rotation (or not) with the intake manifold removed.  ;)

Ron

resq302

How cool would that be to have a see through valve cover?  Just think, fire up your engine at a car show and have a crowd staring literally into your engine seeing all of the moving parts.   :scratchchin:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto