News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

high altitude problems and cars runs fat....

Started by pullrock, June 10, 2009, 11:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullrock

I just moved to Denver area from San Jose, CA and the Charger is running off.  I started by changing the jets in the holley 770 street avenger from 70 (stock) to 67.  I read on Holley's website which said every 2000 feet of altitude go down on jet.  That is why I changed to a 67 jet.  It helped some but the car still seems a little off.  When it is cold it runs very ruff until it warms up.  I did change the air mixture some but it didn't seem to help.  Any ideas?  What are the next steps to make this run in high altitude?

Engine is a 440 with indy heads with dyno 500HP and 520 torque.

Any help would pointing me in the right direction would be a big help!

Eric
68 Charger R/T

RECHRGD

Bump up the timing a little.  That works when I go to Tahoe (6200').  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

pullrock

Thanks RECHRGD! 

I have not changed the timing yet because it is not detonating or missing.  After installing the smaller jets it now has a really bad hesitation when I hit the gas hard???   :brickwall:

Thanks for the help!

femtnmax

I put a new Edel carb on the truck awhile back; followed the books suggestions to set mixture for altitude (4800 feet).  Mixture was WAY to rich still. 
Gave up guessing, bought an Edel air fuel ratio monitor #350-6593.  Worked great.  Was able to tune every circuit in the carb...even tuned the transfer slots (they were lean, increased the width 10% was just about perfect).
Highly recommend.   CAn buy extra weld-on bungs so meter can be used on other vehicles.
Phil

pullrock

I took the car to a shop today who does frame off restorations of Muscle cars.  He adjusted the floats and that allowed him to adjust the air mixture.  Which when I started it would not make much of a difference.  Now it just started detonating on the way home which tells me we are getting closer.  I am going to give it some more timing tomorrow and see what that does.  The guy at the shop just order a new power valve and some other part that is on the throttle linkage.  He said something about it being black or red and waiting it to be brown for this altitude.  Not sure what he was talking about.

I will keep updating till I get it dialed in.

Eric