News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buyers Remorse *Updated with Pics*

Started by RecklessYouth, June 09, 2009, 12:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RecklessYouth

Im new to the site and so Ill give a quick back story. About 10 years ago when I was a young guy just out of high school, I bought a 68 Charger 383. It ran, drove, and was a fun car. I sold it about a year later and have regretted it ever since. Fast forward to about 6 months ago and Im sitting in Afghanistan in the middle of a deployment and after losing some friends, I decide ya know, life is too damn short to put off enjoying the things that make you happy. It was then that I decided once I got back to the states Id finally buy another Charger and build it how I want.

Last week I won a Charger on our favorite auction website and going off the description and photos it looked to have the typical rust youd find on a 41 year old car. This past weekend I load up my truck and trailer and drive an exhausting 950 (each way) miles to pick it up. Once I finally got there my heart broke as it immediately hit me that this was by far the rustiest and worst 68 Ive ever seen. :brickwall: What the owner described as needing frame repair in a couple spots was actually frame rails completly rusted away. :flame: To add insult to injury, the "good title" wasnt even in the guys name. After driving all that way I reluctantly bought the car anyways (still kind of kicking myself in the ass for not driving away). The good news is, it will make an excellent parts car. 95% of the interior is intact, all chrome, immaculate grille, BB K-frame, orig. 383 motor/tranny. So I have buyers remorse, but im trying to keep my head up and make lemonade out of lifes lemons. I guess Ill be looking for a SOLID 68 or 69 shell. Valuable lesson learned NEVER NEVER EVER buy a car without inspecting it in person. Pictures can definitely be deceiving!

Ghoste

Sorry to hear it went down that way.  The good news is that you seem to have a positive attitude and with the market the way it is right now, there are some deals out there.  Hopefully those two things will combine to get you into the car you want.

hemi-hampton

Buying a solid car or body shell to transfer these parts to is better then fixing a Rust Bucket anyways. You'll save alot on money in the long run using a solid car over a rust bucket. Good luck. LEON. :pity:

jb666

First off, thank you for the service you gave to your country  :cheers: :cheers:

Second, I'm sorry to hear this. I'm just as guilty as you. I took a long drive for (what I thought) my "dream car", got blinded by the Orange paint and ended up with a nightmare...

You'll do the right thing what ever you decide.  :cheers: :cheers:

Sublime/Sixpack

Hang in there, and good luck in finding the Charger you're looking for.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

mikepmcs

Echo Jeff, thanks for your service. 

You'll be fine and we're here to help and get you through this and get your car on the road.  I can honestly say I'm also guilty of doing this but it's mine and it's what it is and I'm damn proud to own it.

Keep your head up here and of course down when you're over there. :patriot: :patriot:

Welcome aboard

Mike(USN RET)
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Silver R/T

sorry to hear that. I hope things work out for you with your Charger.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Landonsrt

well reckless, i'm in the same boat as you as far as the condition of the cars is concerned. But i knew what i was getting into, over my head! I didnt get dupped into it. That really sucks for you. Is the rust mostly on the rear frame or all over?

RecklessYouth

Thanks  :cheers: Like I said, Im trying to keep my head up. Im gonna take a few weeks to regroup and start looking for a shell. Any idea what kind of price a shell goes for? Solid frame and a good title are what matters. Im expecting to do the usual trunk, floorpan, quarters repair.

RecklessYouth

Quote from: Landonsrt on June 09, 2009, 08:41:55 PM
well reckless, i'm in the same boat as you as far as the condition of the cars is concerned. But i knew what i was getting into, over my head! I didnt get dupped into it. That really sucks for you. Is the rust mostly on the rear frame or all over?

The rust is pretty much all over. I expected it to need front floorpans, trunk, and quarters, but both rear frame rails are completely gone, one of the front frame rails is gone, and the cross frame rails (the ones under the front floorpans) are gone as well.

69bronzeT5

Sorry to hear that man. Good job keeping your chin up! Post up some pictures of the car when you get a chance :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mikepmcs

How about some pics of the damaged areas.   :popcrn:

edit:  DOH, Cody beat me to it.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

RecklessYouth

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 09, 2009, 08:52:26 PM
How about some pics of the damaged areas.   :popcrn:

edit:  DOH, Cody beat me to it.

Lemme try and get some real quick

RecklessYouth

Even more.  :'(

ACUDANUT

Dang, how much did you pay for it ?

aone415

YIKES... well she'll be a good organ donor. 

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

RecklessYouth

Id rather not say. All I will say is, waaaaaay more then it was worth.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

mikepmcs

Doesn't matter anyway, it's just money and you have a whole lot of time to make more of it.  Let's get to crackin on finding you a shell and not dwell on what's done. 

What year are you specifically looking for?  A 68 I assume?
Are you in Virginia?

69bronzeT5

I thought my car was bad....that's horrible!!!! :eek2:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

RecklessYouth

Quote from: aone415 on June 09, 2009, 09:24:50 PM
YIKES... well she'll be a good organ donor. 

Exactly. I mean there really are good parts that came with it, most notably the grille is in great shape. Ill bounce back and find a nice shell eventually  :icon_smile_cool:

mikepmcs

Does that car have rear defrost???  First pic looks like something to that effect.

aone415

Well depending on what you can salvage, restore and re-use, you could very well come out on top if you find a good shell at a fair price... Keep your head up and get to work stripping her down... that should take some of the pain out of your minor setback
Exactly. I mean there really are good parts that came with it, most notably the grille is in great shape. Ill bounce back and find a nice shell eventually  :icon_smile_cool:

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

RecklessYouth

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 09, 2009, 09:28:17 PM
Doesn't matter anyway, it's just money and you have a whole lot of time to make more of it.  Let's get to crackin on finding you a shell and not dwell on what's done. 

What year are you specifically looking for?  A 68 I assume?

Im looking for either a 68 or 69, dont really care which. A roller would be helpful for maneuverability but I guess not a requirement  :lol: Just need something with solid rails and a good title. Im interested in building this car the way Id like it and will be a nice cruiser, so dont care if its a XP or XS.

69charger2002

damn that frame is super nasty. the bad thing is if you overpaid for that car, wait till you find a rust free shell. you won't believe what those go for... with no motor even. good luck. i know how you feel about driving 950 miles, and you pretty much at that point refuse to go home empty handed, even if you're getting boned on the car. it sucks, i've done it a couple times..
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

69*F5*SE

Well, if you can get some good parts off of it then have at it.   :hack: :smash: