News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buyers Remorse *Updated with Pics*

Started by RecklessYouth, June 09, 2009, 12:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RecklessYouth

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 09, 2009, 09:31:48 PM
Does that car have rear defrost???  First pic looks like something to that effect.

Ya know I think it does. To be honest Ive barely looked at the car since I brought it home. I have a 4 day weekend coming up, so I may start tearing her apart then. Who knows, maybe Ill luckout and find the build sheet.

Charger-Bodie

Im gonna be the first to say "Fix it!"....With all the parts available for them now , you could save it. Once the rust repair is done( if done correctly) its as good as any other. A decent shell isnt going to be cheap,and like you said "it will still need some rust repair"

Where are you at?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

green69rt

Welcome to the world of ebay.  You didn't say it but I will.  Lot's of crap out there, some good stuff also.  I also bought off of Ebay and got less than I hoped but like you am moving on.

Welcome back home.  Glad you made it.  Sorry about your buds, I know how that is.

Ok, now think about the old car and the new.  First thing is never throw anything away!.  You'll be surprised what you can use and what kind of info you can get out of having two cars to compare things. Hang onto as much as you can as long as you can.  I know space can be a problem.

Second, look around at the parts that are available and see if you even want to try to restore it.  You can almost built a whole car from repro parts now.  Spend a little time figuring things out, I spent a year looking for my car so it wasn't a complete disaster but still worse than I thought.

Craigs list seems to have its advantages.  Look locally then move out.

Probably more advice than you wanted but good luck and let us know how the search goes.  Lots of people out there willing to help.

RecklessYouth

Im in Clarksville TN.

Im gonna dig into it this weekend, but Im 99% sure she is too far gone to be saved (with my bank account anyways  :smilielol: )

PocketThunder

Try and find a 4 door coronet and swap the whole floor and frame rails at once.   :shruggy: 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Khyron

Back half and ladder bar that bad boy!!!!!!!!!!!

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

r_biccum

I woulda done a U turn outta that place, with the empty trailer  :eek2:

if its a numbers matching car it might be worth saving.....
1969 Dodge Charger SE 383 727 #'s matching with original 8 track
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

green69rt

Quote from: RecklessYouth on June 09, 2009, 09:59:50 PM
Im in Clarksville TN.

Im gonna dig into it this weekend, but Im 99% sure she is too far gone to be saved (with my bank account anyways  :smilielol: )

Wouldn't blame you a bit!

mjwebb

it's bad enough deceiving anyone, but a VET, man, I hope that guy sleeps with a one eye open

hemi-hampton

I just read Yesterday in my new Mopar Mag that Goodmark makes new complete rear frame rails. Complete meaning all the way to under the back seat area like factory. Sure, It can easily be restored, If you got enough money & time & want to spend the money & time. If not, Buy a solid car. I hate rust buckets & Detroit is full of them. LEON.

Dans 68

Quote from: RecklessYouth on June 09, 2009, 12:47:01 PM
...Valuable lesson learned NEVER NEVER EVER buy a car without inspecting it in person. Pictures can definitely be deceiving!

Words of Wisdom. Have a personal look at the car or have someone you trust do that before money changes hands.

And for a moment there I thought I was reading my old thread http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35861.msg392695.html#msg392695:rofl:  Keep your head up. It will work out.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

BB1

First off, your a honest guy. Not to many of those left out there.
Second, most of us have been there at one point.
Third, you found the right place, where here to help.

Good body shells are getting harder to find, though not impossible. At some point in the future cars like your are going to be the only thing left.

If we had Dynacorn reproducing the whole shell, what a new world we would be in.

There are threads here of Charger as dead as your is, but like a phoenix there back better than ever.

Be patient, and think about the next move.  :patriot:

Delete my profile

hemi68charger

Reckless..
From a fellow servicemember (Air Force), thanks for servicing.... I'll probably be over there in 2010 myself..

OK, too bad about the rusty '68. That sucks........... Your plan of attack is an excellent one, get a barebones '68 Charger with a good body and swap everything over. Try to find a 383 car to do this to if at all possible. As eluded to before, the cost of fixing what you have will probably be way more than finding a bare body with good sheetmetal and good title. Having the title in the current owner's name isn't a biggie as long as the owner on the title who previously "owned" it signed the appropriate locations.

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

r_biccum

I think I would have done a U turn outta there with the empty trailer and driven home, found something more solid... :eek2:
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

r_biccum

Shoulda done a U turn with the trailer and went home empty  :eek2:
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

r_biccum

Not sure why that posted three times...  :-\
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

Charger_Fan

Quote from: r_biccum on June 10, 2009, 01:57:25 PM
Not sure why that posted three times...  :-\
'Cause ya went on full auto!

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

MoparManJim

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 10, 2009, 12:21:18 AM
I just read Yesterday in my new Mopar Mag that Goodmark makes new complete rear frame rails. Complete meaning all the way to under the back seat area like factory. Sure, It can easily be restored, If you got enough money & time & want to spend the money & time. If not, Buy a solid car. I hate rust buckets & Detroit is full of them. LEON.

Okay, next time folks want to complain about the Dukes killing chargers, just think of that line right there. General or none General, a charger is a charger and if it's let die because a person feels it's to rusty, then they have no right to complain about the Dukes killing chargers then because they are no better them self's. If is not pointed towards you but for anyone that loves to complain about the Dukes killing chargers back in the day. 

Like others have said here, I have seen worst bought back to life over time. Just pace yourself out and take your time at it.  :cheers:

moparstuart

what state did you buy the charger in  ?

???  i meant state as in location not condition !

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

r_biccum

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

PocketThunder

Here is a 69 Charger body ready to paint..  $8500.  no pictures though, (as usual)  ::)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/1205066437.html

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemi-hampton

Read the Are you Scared or Not Scared post by RIDELIKEHELL to see what your in store for if you want to restore this one. If you like what you see go for it. :scratchchin: LEON.

P.S. I've never complained about duke cars getting smashed ::)

MoparManJim

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 10, 2009, 05:34:27 PM
Read the Are you Scared or Not Scared post by RIDELIKEHELL to see what your in store for if you want to restore this one. If you like what you see go for it. :scratchchin: LEON.

Yea, that is a good thread, I been watching that car.

QuoteP.S. I've never complained about duke cars getting smashed ::)

Now, you see, I don't think you red what all I said in that part, I said I was not pointing at you but rather the folks that likes to trash the Dukes show for killing chargers when they leave rusty ones them self's go to waste.  :shruggy: