News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Buyers Remorse *Updated with Pics*

Started by RecklessYouth, June 09, 2009, 12:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RecklessYouth

Im new to the site and so Ill give a quick back story. About 10 years ago when I was a young guy just out of high school, I bought a 68 Charger 383. It ran, drove, and was a fun car. I sold it about a year later and have regretted it ever since. Fast forward to about 6 months ago and Im sitting in Afghanistan in the middle of a deployment and after losing some friends, I decide ya know, life is too damn short to put off enjoying the things that make you happy. It was then that I decided once I got back to the states Id finally buy another Charger and build it how I want.

Last week I won a Charger on our favorite auction website and going off the description and photos it looked to have the typical rust youd find on a 41 year old car. This past weekend I load up my truck and trailer and drive an exhausting 950 (each way) miles to pick it up. Once I finally got there my heart broke as it immediately hit me that this was by far the rustiest and worst 68 Ive ever seen. :brickwall: What the owner described as needing frame repair in a couple spots was actually frame rails completly rusted away. :flame: To add insult to injury, the "good title" wasnt even in the guys name. After driving all that way I reluctantly bought the car anyways (still kind of kicking myself in the ass for not driving away). The good news is, it will make an excellent parts car. 95% of the interior is intact, all chrome, immaculate grille, BB K-frame, orig. 383 motor/tranny. So I have buyers remorse, but im trying to keep my head up and make lemonade out of lifes lemons. I guess Ill be looking for a SOLID 68 or 69 shell. Valuable lesson learned NEVER NEVER EVER buy a car without inspecting it in person. Pictures can definitely be deceiving!

Ghoste

Sorry to hear it went down that way.  The good news is that you seem to have a positive attitude and with the market the way it is right now, there are some deals out there.  Hopefully those two things will combine to get you into the car you want.

hemi-hampton

Buying a solid car or body shell to transfer these parts to is better then fixing a Rust Bucket anyways. You'll save alot on money in the long run using a solid car over a rust bucket. Good luck. LEON. :pity:

jb666

First off, thank you for the service you gave to your country  :cheers: :cheers:

Second, I'm sorry to hear this. I'm just as guilty as you. I took a long drive for (what I thought) my "dream car", got blinded by the Orange paint and ended up with a nightmare...

You'll do the right thing what ever you decide.  :cheers: :cheers:

Sublime/Sixpack

Hang in there, and good luck in finding the Charger you're looking for.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

mikepmcs

Echo Jeff, thanks for your service. 

You'll be fine and we're here to help and get you through this and get your car on the road.  I can honestly say I'm also guilty of doing this but it's mine and it's what it is and I'm damn proud to own it.

Keep your head up here and of course down when you're over there. :patriot: :patriot:

Welcome aboard

Mike(USN RET)
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Silver R/T

sorry to hear that. I hope things work out for you with your Charger.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Landonsrt

well reckless, i'm in the same boat as you as far as the condition of the cars is concerned. But i knew what i was getting into, over my head! I didnt get dupped into it. That really sucks for you. Is the rust mostly on the rear frame or all over?

RecklessYouth

Thanks  :cheers: Like I said, Im trying to keep my head up. Im gonna take a few weeks to regroup and start looking for a shell. Any idea what kind of price a shell goes for? Solid frame and a good title are what matters. Im expecting to do the usual trunk, floorpan, quarters repair.

RecklessYouth

Quote from: Landonsrt on June 09, 2009, 08:41:55 PM
well reckless, i'm in the same boat as you as far as the condition of the cars is concerned. But i knew what i was getting into, over my head! I didnt get dupped into it. That really sucks for you. Is the rust mostly on the rear frame or all over?

The rust is pretty much all over. I expected it to need front floorpans, trunk, and quarters, but both rear frame rails are completely gone, one of the front frame rails is gone, and the cross frame rails (the ones under the front floorpans) are gone as well.

69bronzeT5

Sorry to hear that man. Good job keeping your chin up! Post up some pictures of the car when you get a chance :cheers:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

mikepmcs

How about some pics of the damaged areas.   :popcrn:

edit:  DOH, Cody beat me to it.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

RecklessYouth

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 09, 2009, 08:52:26 PM
How about some pics of the damaged areas.   :popcrn:

edit:  DOH, Cody beat me to it.

Lemme try and get some real quick

RecklessYouth

Even more.  :'(

ACUDANUT

Dang, how much did you pay for it ?

aone415

YIKES... well she'll be a good organ donor. 

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

RecklessYouth

Id rather not say. All I will say is, waaaaaay more then it was worth.  :icon_smile_blackeye:

mikepmcs

Doesn't matter anyway, it's just money and you have a whole lot of time to make more of it.  Let's get to crackin on finding you a shell and not dwell on what's done. 

What year are you specifically looking for?  A 68 I assume?
Are you in Virginia?

69bronzeT5

I thought my car was bad....that's horrible!!!! :eek2:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

RecklessYouth

Quote from: aone415 on June 09, 2009, 09:24:50 PM
YIKES... well she'll be a good organ donor. 

Exactly. I mean there really are good parts that came with it, most notably the grille is in great shape. Ill bounce back and find a nice shell eventually  :icon_smile_cool:

mikepmcs

Does that car have rear defrost???  First pic looks like something to that effect.

aone415

Well depending on what you can salvage, restore and re-use, you could very well come out on top if you find a good shell at a fair price... Keep your head up and get to work stripping her down... that should take some of the pain out of your minor setback
Exactly. I mean there really are good parts that came with it, most notably the grille is in great shape. Ill bounce back and find a nice shell eventually  :icon_smile_cool:

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

RecklessYouth

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 09, 2009, 09:28:17 PM
Doesn't matter anyway, it's just money and you have a whole lot of time to make more of it.  Let's get to crackin on finding you a shell and not dwell on what's done. 

Im looking for either a 68 or 69, dont really care which. A roller would be helpful for maneuverability but I guess not a requirement  :lol: Just need something with solid rails and a good title. Im interested in building this car the way Id like it and will be a nice cruiser, so dont care if its a XP or XS.

69charger2002

damn that frame is super nasty. the bad thing is if you overpaid for that car, wait till you find a rust free shell. you won't believe what those go for... with no motor even. good luck. i know how you feel about driving 950 miles, and you pretty much at that point refuse to go home empty handed, even if you're getting boned on the car. it sucks, i've done it a couple times..
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

69*F5*SE

Well, if you can get some good parts off of it then have at it.   :hack: :smash:

RecklessYouth

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 09, 2009, 09:31:48 PM
Does that car have rear defrost???  First pic looks like something to that effect.

Ya know I think it does. To be honest Ive barely looked at the car since I brought it home. I have a 4 day weekend coming up, so I may start tearing her apart then. Who knows, maybe Ill luckout and find the build sheet.

Charger-Bodie

Im gonna be the first to say "Fix it!"....With all the parts available for them now , you could save it. Once the rust repair is done( if done correctly) its as good as any other. A decent shell isnt going to be cheap,and like you said "it will still need some rust repair"

Where are you at?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

green69rt

Welcome to the world of ebay.  You didn't say it but I will.  Lot's of crap out there, some good stuff also.  I also bought off of Ebay and got less than I hoped but like you am moving on.

Welcome back home.  Glad you made it.  Sorry about your buds, I know how that is.

Ok, now think about the old car and the new.  First thing is never throw anything away!.  You'll be surprised what you can use and what kind of info you can get out of having two cars to compare things. Hang onto as much as you can as long as you can.  I know space can be a problem.

Second, look around at the parts that are available and see if you even want to try to restore it.  You can almost built a whole car from repro parts now.  Spend a little time figuring things out, I spent a year looking for my car so it wasn't a complete disaster but still worse than I thought.

Craigs list seems to have its advantages.  Look locally then move out.

Probably more advice than you wanted but good luck and let us know how the search goes.  Lots of people out there willing to help.

RecklessYouth

Im in Clarksville TN.

Im gonna dig into it this weekend, but Im 99% sure she is too far gone to be saved (with my bank account anyways  :smilielol: )

PocketThunder

Try and find a 4 door coronet and swap the whole floor and frame rails at once.   :shruggy: 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Khyron

Back half and ladder bar that bad boy!!!!!!!!!!!

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

r_biccum

I woulda done a U turn outta that place, with the empty trailer  :eek2:

if its a numbers matching car it might be worth saving.....
1969 Dodge Charger SE 383 727 #'s matching with original 8 track
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

green69rt

Quote from: RecklessYouth on June 09, 2009, 09:59:50 PM
Im in Clarksville TN.

Im gonna dig into it this weekend, but Im 99% sure she is too far gone to be saved (with my bank account anyways  :smilielol: )

Wouldn't blame you a bit!

mjwebb

it's bad enough deceiving anyone, but a VET, man, I hope that guy sleeps with a one eye open

hemi-hampton

I just read Yesterday in my new Mopar Mag that Goodmark makes new complete rear frame rails. Complete meaning all the way to under the back seat area like factory. Sure, It can easily be restored, If you got enough money & time & want to spend the money & time. If not, Buy a solid car. I hate rust buckets & Detroit is full of them. LEON.

Dans 68

Quote from: RecklessYouth on June 09, 2009, 12:47:01 PM
...Valuable lesson learned NEVER NEVER EVER buy a car without inspecting it in person. Pictures can definitely be deceiving!

Words of Wisdom. Have a personal look at the car or have someone you trust do that before money changes hands.

And for a moment there I thought I was reading my old thread http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,35861.msg392695.html#msg392695:rofl:  Keep your head up. It will work out.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

BB1

First off, your a honest guy. Not to many of those left out there.
Second, most of us have been there at one point.
Third, you found the right place, where here to help.

Good body shells are getting harder to find, though not impossible. At some point in the future cars like your are going to be the only thing left.

If we had Dynacorn reproducing the whole shell, what a new world we would be in.

There are threads here of Charger as dead as your is, but like a phoenix there back better than ever.

Be patient, and think about the next move.  :patriot:

Delete my profile

hemi68charger

Reckless..
From a fellow servicemember (Air Force), thanks for servicing.... I'll probably be over there in 2010 myself..

OK, too bad about the rusty '68. That sucks........... Your plan of attack is an excellent one, get a barebones '68 Charger with a good body and swap everything over. Try to find a 383 car to do this to if at all possible. As eluded to before, the cost of fixing what you have will probably be way more than finding a bare body with good sheetmetal and good title. Having the title in the current owner's name isn't a biggie as long as the owner on the title who previously "owned" it signed the appropriate locations.

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

r_biccum

I think I would have done a U turn outta there with the empty trailer and driven home, found something more solid... :eek2:
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

r_biccum

Shoulda done a U turn with the trailer and went home empty  :eek2:
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

r_biccum

Not sure why that posted three times...  :-\
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

Charger_Fan

Quote from: r_biccum on June 10, 2009, 01:57:25 PM
Not sure why that posted three times...  :-\
'Cause ya went on full auto!

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

MoparManJim

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 10, 2009, 12:21:18 AM
I just read Yesterday in my new Mopar Mag that Goodmark makes new complete rear frame rails. Complete meaning all the way to under the back seat area like factory. Sure, It can easily be restored, If you got enough money & time & want to spend the money & time. If not, Buy a solid car. I hate rust buckets & Detroit is full of them. LEON.

Okay, next time folks want to complain about the Dukes killing chargers, just think of that line right there. General or none General, a charger is a charger and if it's let die because a person feels it's to rusty, then they have no right to complain about the Dukes killing chargers then because they are no better them self's. If is not pointed towards you but for anyone that loves to complain about the Dukes killing chargers back in the day. 

Like others have said here, I have seen worst bought back to life over time. Just pace yourself out and take your time at it.  :cheers:

moparstuart

what state did you buy the charger in  ?

???  i meant state as in location not condition !

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

r_biccum

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

PocketThunder

Here is a 69 Charger body ready to paint..  $8500.  no pictures though, (as usual)  ::)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/pts/1205066437.html

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemi-hampton

Read the Are you Scared or Not Scared post by RIDELIKEHELL to see what your in store for if you want to restore this one. If you like what you see go for it. :scratchchin: LEON.

P.S. I've never complained about duke cars getting smashed ::)

MoparManJim

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 10, 2009, 05:34:27 PM
Read the Are you Scared or Not Scared post by RIDELIKEHELL to see what your in store for if you want to restore this one. If you like what you see go for it. :scratchchin: LEON.

Yea, that is a good thread, I been watching that car.

QuoteP.S. I've never complained about duke cars getting smashed ::)

Now, you see, I don't think you red what all I said in that part, I said I was not pointing at you but rather the folks that likes to trash the Dukes show for killing chargers when they leave rusty ones them self's go to waste.  :shruggy:

hemi-hampton

Yes, I red (read) the whole comment & understood. Just pointng out that I'm not one of those. No Insult intended. LEON.

MoparManJim

Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 10, 2009, 05:50:56 PM
Yes, I red (read) the whole comment & understood. Just pointng out that I'm not one of those. No Insult intended. LEON.

No problem man  :cheers: 

Landonsrt

Quote from: RecklessYouth on June 09, 2009, 09:34:12 PM

Im looking for either a 68 or 69, dont really care which. A roller would be helpful for maneuverability but I guess not a requirement  :lol: Just need something with solid rails and a good title. Im interested in building this car the way Id like it and will be a nice cruiser, so dont care if its a XP or XS.

Im there with ya dude!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: RecklessYouth on June 09, 2009, 09:26:06 PM
Id rather not say. All I will say is, waaaaaay more then it was worth.  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Well, it all depends really on how much you paid.  If you paid over a grand then I feel sorry for you. But I also applaud you in trying to see what you can or can't do for it.  :Twocents: :cheers:

68charger383

This one seems like a solid car with an asking price of $9.5K: Upstate NY is very pretty this time of year  :icon_smile_wink:

'70 Dodge Charger, less than 10,000 original miles, needs the restoration to be finished, was parked in a barn since 1981. Numbers Matching 383HP car. Looking to get $9,500. Perfect Dash. I have the Build Sheet, Fender Tag, Door Tag, Body Numbers all Match.

Brand new Rally Wheels

Located in Central, NY, call 315-439-7552 if you have the ability to see it in person. 

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,58147.0.html
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

71RT4ME

Why not repair it ? That is why new fenders,rockers,floors and frame rails are being reproduced.
The rear 1/2 of the framerails are often rusty but the portion from the shock crossmember forward could be rock solid still.
I say fix it. I don't believe 2 door Mopars should be parted out anymore.\

By the way ALL 68-70 B bodies are identical underneath.a 4 door Satellite or Coronet can supply all the floors,frame rails,crossmembers etc you need.

dads_69

I repair/restore cars like that every year. Starting price for one like yours, unlimited. If you don't have a large pocket book, give it up before you do start tearing into it and then realize your never gonna get $$ back out of it, sell it now if possible.
Rust doesn't scare me, its just a bunch of parts welded together IMO.
Good luck w/your project.

Mark

Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Old Moparz

Bummer about the seller being a deceitful dirt bag.  ::)

As far as the car, if you decide to use it as a parts source, which is what I would do based on how rough it is, then strip it, bag & label every single salvagable part, bracket, nut, bolt, clip, & even things you know you will replace later. You'll never remember what each item is, where it goes, or what it's for. Buy a shit load of various sized zip lock bags & keep them organized.

If you keep it as a base car to fix, make sure you get it legally in your name before you spend a penny on it. It would be even worse if you dumped thousands of dollars into a car that had no title or paper work, & got screwed later by DMV later & not allowed to register it. Unless I bought a parts car for a few hundred bucks, I made sure I got the car in my name first before spending money on it.

I have a '68 Coronet Convertible that the seller didn't have paper work for. I wrote down the VIN & called the state police to make sure it wasn't a stolen car, then bought it after they said there was no record of it as a stolen vehicle. I did get a bill of sale, had it flatbedded home, then used Broadway Title Company to get the paper work going so I can legally get the car in my name. Check with Broadway Title first to see if your state allows this.

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/

Like others have said, some have restored cars in the same, or worse condtion. Anything can be fixed, but you definitely need to have a realistic idea of what that will cost & what you can afford. Good luck with your Charger.  :cheers:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: MoparManJim on June 10, 2009, 05:41:31 PM
Quote from: hemi-hampton on June 10, 2009, 05:34:27 PM

Yea, that is a good thread, I been watching that car.

Interesting ride it has been that's for sure but I know what I've got when its done. I've struggled with which way to go over the past years & if I made the right decision or not. I have alot of faith in my builder so I think it was the right way to go for me. The big thing was waiting for all the repro parts be available from AMD..still waiting for my front valance but other than that it looks more like a car than ever. ;)
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

r_biccum

Quote from: Landonsrt on June 10, 2009, 08:13:23 PM

Im there with ya dude!

Aw C'mon! Most of that will polish out! Get a repo cigar lighter and a full tank of gas and lets hit the town!  :rofl:
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

TUFCAT

I just saw this thread..... :'(

Sorry dude, that's a parts car. I'm sure you'll still do okay if you buy another (less rusty) one and swap the good parts between them, like others have already said.  

dkn1997

RECHRGED

dkn1997

btw...I read some of the q&a at the bottom of the auctions and that full frame with all the shit on it is 13,600. 
RECHRGED

Landonsrt

Quote from: r_biccum on June 11, 2009, 09:49:31 AM
Quote from: Landonsrt on June 10, 2009, 08:13:23 PM

Im there with ya dude!

Aw C'mon! Most of that will polish out! Get a repo cigar lighter and a full tank of gas and lets hit the town!  :rofl:

Yeah, Right!!!! :rotz: