News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has anyone EVER converted a Jeneral Lee back to a normal CHARGER?.

Started by Brock Samson, June 08, 2009, 04:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock Samson

Has anyone?.. I see Roscoe down below there is about to still yet convert another one...  :eek2:

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BB1

Delete my profile

jb666

A "normal" Charger? Define normal.

Removing some graphics, a push bar and a set of wheels... Seems like tough work to go back to "normal"  :lol:

Brock Samson

jb666

Quote from: Brock Samson on June 08, 2009, 05:44:36 PM
O.K. You Start.  :lol:

:smilielol: Not so simple there bud.. I guess I shouldn't have opened my mouth. I'll be leaving now.

CB

Quote from: jb666 on June 08, 2009, 04:58:23 PM

Removing some graphics, a push bar and a set of wheels... Seems like tough work to go back to "normal"  :lol:

nice move!

As skip said to me before, it's only some paint, graphics, bar and wheels.
No big deal to 'convert'.

Even if you paint a Charger pink, it's still a cool muscle car.
OK, pink isn't maybe a good color :lol:

CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

jb666

Quote from: CB on June 08, 2009, 05:57:07 PM
Quote from: jb666 on June 08, 2009, 04:58:23 PM

nice move!

As skip said to me before, it's only some paint, graphics, bar and wheels.
No big deal to 'convert'.

Even if you paint a Charger in pink, it's still a cool muscle car.
OK, pink isn't maybe a good color :lol:

CB

That's the way I look at it, we all love the same car..  So what if you want your car Pink. Green. Blue. Red. Brown. At the end of the day you're still cruising in a damn cool car..

I WILL agree that (especially since seeing mine surface like it has) there are so many hack jobs out there.. Seems like any hack shop that wanted to make a quick buck gave a Charger a Warner Brothers special and shoved it out the door. That's a shame..

lacucarachaloco

I saved mine from the chopping block.. it had been stripped down and they started welding up the holes in the fire wall.. now it will NEVER be the general lee it was condemned to be.

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Brock Samson

:shruggy: It's generally like a General lee but it ain't a real Jenny Lee,..  :scratchchin:

bamadukefan02

I get why people have a problem with the number of cars that were destroyed making the show, but in truth when the show started the cars were only about ten years old and were nothing but old cars that were not that valuable.  I agree with the people that get mad when someone jumps a Charger these days at a Duke's Reunion.  I firmly believe that there should not be another Charger jumped just to please a bunch of fans.  What I don't get is why do people hate replicas that people make.  Like was said above its nothing more than a paint job and some wheels, it could be changed as easy as changing a car from blue to white and replacing its Magnum wheels with some Torque Thrust wheels.

G-man

General lees are cool and dukes were the best tv series ever made. Broken chargers, jumping chargers... get over it, they are not jumping yours and you cant afford to have ALL of them for the complaint to be viable. O BTW - its just a piece of metal put together, it aint a human being. Sometimes i think people care more for the damn charger than they do people.

cpthowdy1369

I think mine was a General at one time.  When I got it, it had the duke wheels on it and in some places here and there you can still see the orange paint where the green didn't reach.  I'm pretty sure that if I took the vinyl top off, I would see old Dixie staring back at me. :scratchchin:
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!

Mike DC

I've heard Charger owners talking about having to de-LEE their car before.  It happens. 

This generation isn't likely to do a lot of it though.  We're still in the prime era of GL replicas. 

And also, a lot of the earlier GL replicas were driven into the ground back before GLs were valuable.  (Hey, it used to be a common fate for these cars whether it had GL paint or not.)

jaak

Quote from: bamadukefan02 on June 08, 2009, 10:58:49 PM
I get why people have a problem with the number of cars that were destroyed making the show, but in truth when the show started the cars were only about ten years old and were nothing but old cars that were not that valuable.  I agree with the people that get mad when someone jumps a Charger these days at a Duke's Reunion.  I firmly believe that there should not be another Charger jumped just to please a bunch of fans.  What I don't get is why do people hate replicas that people make.  Like was said above its nothing more than a paint job and some wheels, it could be changed as easy as changing a car from blue to white and replacing its Magnum wheels with some Torque Thrust wheels.

Well Said! I own a 69 and it will not be a General, that being said.. when a fellow pays for car he has every right to do what HE wants to do with it. If he wants a general, build a general, if you want it all original, make it original, if you want a resto mod...build a resto mod!
The folks that bash General Lee and GL owners are just assholes, plain and simple. If you don't like a GL clone, keep your damn comments to yourself, because the guy that built that car put just as much hardwork, time and money as you got in your ride. Afterall behind the orange paint, and the big 01.... its still a Charger, and that's what this site is all about.

Jason

Mike DC

I crunched the numbers one time, and DOH wrecked less than 1/1000th of all the applicable cars.  We've probably lost a lot more Chargers to hail damage. 

jb666

Quote from: jaak on June 09, 2009, 04:36:05 PM

Well Said! I own a 69 and it will not be a General, that being said.. when a fellow pays for car he has every right to do what HE wants to do with it. If he wants a general, build a general, if you want it all original, make it original, if you want a resto mod...build a resto mod!
The folks that bash General Lee and GL owners are just assholes, plain and simple. If you don't like a GL clone, keep your damn comments to yourself, because the guy that built that car put just as much hardwork, time and money as you got in your ride. Afterall behind the orange paint, and the big 01.... its still a Charger, and that's what this site is all about.

Jason

Jason -- As a GL owner, I'd like to thank you. I agree completely, and what amazes me is just how many assholes there are.. I don't care if you've got a rotted to death 66 or a '73 in primer or a mint condition 30k mile Hemi car, you've still got a great car and deserve the respect for choosing it.

I've given up , because I realize the GL is a TOTAL love/hate car. There's no neutral position. One guy who saw my car in the shop the other day said "WOW, this car is going to be awesome!!". The shop owner says "yep, it's going to make a nice General Lee", and the guy says "Oh, that's too bad......" and walked away. You can't please everyone, so why try?

We do what we to do our cars to make them OUR CARS. If we all had the same taste life would be pretty damn boring....

Mike DC

Yep, that's the deal. 

It helps to remember that you'll get a lot of the same crap from people regardless of whether it's a GL or not.  The color, drivetrain, condition, performance, stock resto . . .  no matter what you do, probably at least 60% of the people who see it will have some gripe about it.  It's just a product of the fact that EVERYONE loves these cars so much.  The GL might make some guys more vocal about it, but that's all. 

-----------------------------------------------

It helps to keep a few pics of the car at its worst torn-down condition in the glovebox.  It tends to shut up some of the complainers. 

For some reason, people always think GLs are built by owners who just stumbled onto some gorgeous survivor Charger and got it for a 1976 price.  GL complainers never wanna face the reality that you worked long & hard to get your nice Charger before "ruining" it. 

MoparManJim

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 09, 2009, 04:52:54 PM

I crunched the numbers one time, and DOH wrecked less than 1/1000th of all the applicable cars.  We've probably lost a lot more Chargers to hail damage.

Drunk drivers, teensagers showing off, fires, weather (almost as you said), Racing.

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: jb666 on June 09, 2009, 05:51:28 PM

Jason

Jason -- As a GL owner, I'd like to thank you. I agree completely, and what amazes me is just how many assholes there are.. I don't care if you've got a rotted to death 66 or a '73 in primer or a mint condition 30k mile Hemi car, you've still got a great car and deserve the respect for choosing it.

I've given up , because I realize the GL is a TOTAL love/hate car. There's no neutral position. One guy who saw my car in the shop the other day said "WOW, this car is going to be awesome!!". The shop owner says "yep, it's going to make a nice General Lee", and the guy says "Oh, that's too bad......" and walked away. You can't please everyone, so why try?

We do what we to do our cars to make them OUR CARS. If we all had the same taste life would be pretty damn boring....

At the same time, there are a lot of assholes that will tell you HAVE to turn you Charger in to a General Lee.
I got that half a dozen times before I even got the car home and many more since. Some were adamant about it. Some drifted away or changed the subject of conversation when I said I wasn't going that route at all.

Now, I have no problem with the replicas, but that's just not my style. It's not what I want.

jb666

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on June 10, 2009, 04:52:25 PM

Jason

At the same time, there are a lot of assholes that will tell you HAVE to turn you Charger in to a General Lee.
I got that half a dozen times before I even got the car home and many more since. Some were adamant about it. Some drifted away or changed the subject of conversation when I said I wasn't going that route at all.

Now, I have no problem with the replicas, but that's just not my style. It's not what I want.

Well I agree with you, that's just ridiculous!!

jaak

Jason

Yeah, I get that too, everytime someone finds out I have a 69 Charger, the number 1 question I get without a doubt is.... "you gonna paint it like the General Lee?" I just tell them no, and go on with the conversation. Like I said earlier, I'm not gonna build a GL clone, but I am not gonna knock anyone who has one.

Jason

jb666

Quote from: jaak on June 10, 2009, 04:59:57 PM

Jason

Yeah, I get that too, everytime someone finds out I have a 69 Charger, the number 1 question I get without a doubt is.... "you gonna paint it like the General Lee?" I just tell them no, and go on with the conversation. Like I said earlier, I'm not gonna build a GL clone, but I am not gonna knock anyone who has one.

Jason

Yeah, it reminds me of when I owned my Black T/A ('79). EVERYONE that came to the shows I was at to check the car out would say "Oh cool, Smokey & The Bandit!!". Not even close, but thanks... These cars are associated with "The General Lee" by a LOT of people..  Just the other day I told someone at work (no one there knows) that I picked up a '69 Charger. They had NO CLUE what it looked like.. I finally said "The Dukes???". They said "Oh the Orange car, ok!".   Everyone knows the big orange clunker.... Doesn't mean everyone loves it  :lol: