News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

30 Degree Black

Started by no40jm, June 05, 2009, 11:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

no40jm

Does any one know the PPG color number for this paint?
"If you chop your own fire wood it will warm you twice."
"The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right." HF

maxwellwedge

Do you mean 30% flattened black? Acrylic enamel would be DAR9000 with 30% DX265 Flattening agent. What are you painting that calls for 30% flattened black? I use 12, 25, 33 and sometimes 40% depending on the part.

69*F5*SE

Yeah, I think he means 30% degloss. 

no40jm

Im going to be painting a 1970 b-body dana 60. The book I have is telling me to paint it "30 degree gloss black".

maxwellwedge

maxwellwedge

OK - Here is exactly what Roger Gibson does on Dana's. He flattens 15%. 30% would be way too dull for a Dana.

"We use PPG DAR9000 acrylic enamel with 15% DX265 flattening agent with no hardener. Using hardener will ruin the effect of the flattening agent. Acrylic does not get as hard as modern urethanes, allowing for the proper adhesion during thermal expansion and flexing of the differential. We have this formulation available for those people that don't want to go through the trouble of having this custom mixed. The housing painting procedure was not "perfect" from the factory. There may be areas on yours that did not get any paint at all. We generally cover them pretty well."

no40jm

Just checked to book again "30deg gloss black" is what its calling for. I have some DCC9300 gloss black on my shelf. Do you think that would work?

maxwellwedge

Again, whatever book you are reading is wrong. Dana's were never that dull. If you go with my post above and go by Roger Gibson's recipe you will be right on. Roger has done 100 times more Dana's than whoever wrote the book you are reading. And if the book is written by Heard then the only Dana he knows is Dana Scully from the X-Files.  ;)

no40jm

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!