News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Caltracs

Started by BBKNARF, June 05, 2009, 09:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBKNARF

Has anyone tried caltracs, are they worth purchasing, does it really improve your 60 ft. times ? do they work better with a mono leaf then a multi leaf ?
Thanks, Frank.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Mike DC

They're a legit gain if your car's rear springs are wrapping up at all on launch.  More responsive, less slop at the launch. 

But they probably won't make such huge difference and live up to the hype if you're putting them on a street Mopar that already has decent leaf springs.  Two reasons: 

#1, Mopar's factory leaf springs didn't have the axle centered in the first place.  They had the axle biased towards the front of the spring.  And the spring leaves were more clamped together on the front portions of the springs than the rear portions.  So the original axle-wrap problem that traction bars exist to fix wasn't NEARLY as bad to begin with on these cars as the GM & Ford leaf-spring cars of the era. 

#2, on a street-driven car you will have to detune the action of traction bars enough to let the suspension work some.  On the track, guys basically put the snubbers all the way up against the spring eyes.

68X426

Hey BBKNARF. I have the Caltracs on my 68 Hemi Road Runner, with Dana 60 and 295-50-15s. They are great on the street and all the twisty back roads I get to enjoy. Hit the pedal hard and the tires stick perfectly.

The everyday ride is excellent, so I have to credit the Caltracs. I don't know the technicals of why the mono leaf is better, but performance don't lie.

Also, they look pretty radical and make the Chevy-Ford guys even more envious. So that makes for a complete package.  :cheers:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

BBKNARF

Thanks for the info guys.  :2thumbs:
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

HPP

Quote from: 68X426 on June 09, 2009, 12:56:04 AM
Hey BBKNARF. I have the Caltracs on my 68 Hemi Road Runner, with Dana 60 and 295-50-15s. They are great on the street and all the twisty back roads I get to enjoy. Hit the pedal hard and the tires stick perfectly.

The everyday ride is excellent, so I have to credit the Caltracs. I don't know the technicals of why the mono leaf is better, but performance don't lie.

Also, they look pretty radical and make the Chevy-Ford guys even more envious. So that makes for a complete package.  :cheers:

So they feel better. Do you have incremental numbers from a track that show them as an improvement over XHD or SS springs set ups?

68X426

HPP: sorry, I should have been clearer. I have no track numbers; yet to get to the nearest strip (over 2 hours away).

By perfromance I meant on back roads, I have very few freeways or stoplights, just lots of hills and twisty roads. The Caltracs simply glue the rear end down at every speed and turn. But the test is also at the track. Later in summer I hope to get some official times and will share the info.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

gordo1968charger

i m using superstock springs,can i use caltracs with these?or some other kind of traction bar?
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

68 RT

Quote from: 68X426 on June 09, 2009, 12:56:04 AM

Why do they make the Ford and Chevy guys more envious? They make caltracs for them too. One of the guys that came up with them raced a 428 Mustang. So I guess they are really made for Fords. Using your logic of course.  :hah: