News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Exhaust studs - 383

Started by terrible one, June 12, 2009, 11:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

Does anyone know the size of the exhaust studs on a 383? I want to get nuts for the headers but can't remember the size and the shop is way out of my reach right now. Fine thread or coarse?

Thanks!

lisiecki1

Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

terrible one

Yeah, they're stock. I had to go into town for some other stuff so I went on down there and measured them. 3/8 fine thread.

lisiecki1

yep 3/8-24.....put a little anti-seize on them before you put the nuts on....
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

terrible one

Quote from: lisiecki1 on June 12, 2009, 01:36:23 PM
yep 3/8-24.....put a little anti-seize on them before you put the nuts on....

Forsure! Thanks man

tommymac

what about sealer,dont they go into the water jacket,then leak.Just the end ones?

terrible one

I bought my engine mostly done and the studs were already in the heads (and seem to be the originals).

But yes, I think you're right about it being the outermost studs that tap into the coolant. The sealant I've heard to use on them is the high temp copper stuff . . . Permatex maybe?

histoy

I believe that it's called Ultra Copper.  It works great to seal water leaks on the outside studs.

mikepmcs

concur with above.  Also Right Stuff is an awesome sealer/gasket maker.  It's what I use to seal my rear ends in, no way it's leaking with that stuff!  Wicked expensive though.  NAPA has it on the shelf. Immediate use sealer too.

Permatex the Right Stuff Gasket Maker
Return equipment to service immediately when you make leak-proof gaskets in just one minute with the Right Stuff.® This latest elastomeric rubber gasket technology is blowout resistant and outperforms pre-cut gaskets. Specified on production lines by GM, Ford, DaimlerChrysler and Mercedes-Benz. Temperature range -75°F to 450°F (-59°C to 232°C) continuous, 500°F (260°C) intermittent.; resists ATF, coolant, oil and other shop fluids. Protects against leaks caused by vibration and thermal expansion. Sensor-safe.

Suggested Applications: Automotive and marine gaskets, valve covers, gearbox covers, pumps, compressors, oil pans, thermostat housings, water pumps
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

tommymac

that seems to work but I still have two studs leaking ,Next time I'm going to put on Teflon white tape and some good plumbers dope that should work ,I'm sick and tired of that dripping on the headers and ground ,I tried the silicone stuff twice,Still leaking,not all but some.

tommymac

That Rightstuff looks to be the ticket,i;ll try some