News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I put anything on the cylinder head surfaces?

Started by WH23G3G, June 03, 2009, 08:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

None of the books I'm following say to put any kind of sealant or adhesive on the cylinder head surfaces of the block. A couple of mechanics around my area told me to put some Permatex Spray Copper sealant on the head surface. Do I really need to or just put the gaskets on dry? I'm just using OEM replacement Fel-Pro head gaskets.

firefighter3931

If the gaskets are the blue Permatorque then put them on dry. The steel shim gaskets need a coating of the spray copper stuff.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rolling_Thunder

agreed...    steel shims require the permatex "Copper Coat" - but the blue gaskets ie. Felpro - just put them on a dry CLEAN surface
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

LeadfootBob

Would the "Gasgacinch" goop work? I used it on a set of copper gaskets on my 468 chevy, first time it hasn't leaked coolant like a sieve  :lol:
Proud member of the jack stand racing team since 1999.
'70 Charger 500: "Bronson", some kind of hillbilly hot rod in progress.
'89 Chevy Caprice 9C1: "it's got a cop motor..."