News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

firm feel stage 3?

Started by komninon, November 01, 2008, 05:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

komninon

i am ready to order new gear box for my 68.
i am thinking FIRM FEEL stage 3. do you think this is going to cure the play on the steering wheel?
anybody uses one? what do you think?
thank you George.

knitz01

It should if all other steering parts are tight.  :yesnod:

PA Dodger

I put the stage 2 in. It feels a lot better than the stock setup. without all the loose wishy-washy feeling. I would think the stage 3 would feel more like rack and pinion firm, but I can't say from experience.
Dan
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

Mike DC

The higher stages of "feel" in the steering box are partly just reducing the amount of power-assist that the box gives. 

If you just want it tighter, then you need rebuilt front end bushings & ball joints.  (Even replacing it with another set of normal stock rubber bushings is already a HUGE improvement just because the rubber won't be 40 years old anymore).  Then get a decent rebuilt steering box of any firmness.  And make sure you've got a decent-condition rag joint on the column.

(And it goes without saying, make sure the play adjustment in the stock steering box is already tight before you get crazy with replacing half the car.)

375instroke

Rag joint?  You working on a Ford?  Slop does not come from the amount of assist the box and pump supply.  It's from loose or sloppy suspension parts.  The firmness you feel, or lack of, is not caused by the amount of assist the power steering supplies.  It comes from the reaction springs.  Does anyone know what the reaction springs are?  When one turns the steering wheel, the worm gear in the steering box turns.  The sector shaft does not turn yet, and that causes the worm gear to move fore or aft.  This causes a pin to move for or aft, and it is connected to a shuttle valve that directs power steering fluid to one side or the other of the power piston, forcing the sector shaft to move in the direction you want.  If you stop turning the steering wheel, the sector shaft catches up with the worm gear, the worm gear centers, and fluid stops flowing.  The reaction springs center the pin I was talking about, and the force required to compress them is what you feel in the steering wheel.  Wiggle the steering wheel back and forth, and see how much it needs to turn before the pitman arm moves, then make the pitman arm wiggle back and forth and see how much the steering wheel needs to move before the tires wiggle.

gordo1968charger

i have a stage 2 in mine,really really happy with it,firm feel rock,i did replace all the front end components as well,no play in the steering at all.
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

daytonalo

couldn't one just restrict the amount of fluid on Pressure side of pump slightly to remove that loose feeling ? I have done this on my Race boats

challenger70

There is also allegedly a "super secret" stage 4 they have but do not advertise.
'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

Mike DC

Stage 4

Man, you'd think people would just give in and run a manual steering box at some point.

It's not like the power assist is a free deal. The PS setups are much heavier than manuals and the pump draws horsepower off the motor. 

And you can rig up manual steering ratios all the way into the power-assisted range if you know what to buy. 

AmadeusCharger500

Guys at firm feel told me stage 3 is basically gonna feel like manual.

I like all my stage 2 setups, but then again I just cruise around town.

lisiecki1

what about rack/pinion conversions?  i thought i saw something like that in a magazine.......any advantage?
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Rubberduck

I have a Stage 3 in my ´68 Charger.
Also rebuild the frontend.
The feel is a big difference compared to the stock gearbox. Steering is like in my BMW 525 now.

And, no it doesen´t feel like a manual steering. It´s just tight. And that´s the way it´s supposed to be.

I would do this again because it´s definitely an improvement.  :2thumbs:

Mario
´68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

Paul w

:scratchchin: What sort of price is this stage 3 unit and what is involved in the swap to stage 3  :icon_smile_question:
B3 / CHARGER R/T SE
MOVE OVER PEOPLE ARE RACING

gordo1968charger

just put a stage 3 box in.nothing else to change
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Rubberduck

gordo1968charger

only complaint i had with firm feel was there was a 6 week build time,but it was well worth the wait,as usual the good weather was while i was waiting around for parts :2thumbs:
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Hemidog

To the people that bought stage 2/3; why did you choose that exact stage?

Rubberduck

The Stage 3 is supposed to feel like a European steering ( Mercedes or BMW ).
That´s what I wanted - so I ordered the Stage 3 for my Charger.

Mario

cougs

I have been looking at FF's steering boxes for a while I am about to order the stage three.  My steering box has a backyard rebuilt (by my buddy reading the directions)  :brickwall: and I'm convinced it is a deathtrap (doesn't center, sloppy, etc) and no amount of adjustment fixes it.  Other than that problem the front end on my '68 is completely rebuilt so I think the FF stage 3 will work well. 

How difficult is to install on a '68?  Will I need to unbolt the engine mounts and jack up the block?  What about FF's fast ratio pitman arms and idler arms?  Who has them and what do you think?

Brock
1968 Charger 383/727  Restored to Stock!

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: daytonalo on November 17, 2008, 10:38:35 AM
couldn't one just restrict the amount of fluid on Pressure side of pump slightly to remove that loose feeling ? I have done this on my Race boats

yes...     It is common on the guys doing the 6.1L Hemi swaps as is anyone using a mopar or Ford P/S box with a GM pump...     the GM pump puts out something like ~1350psi...   while the mopar and ford systems use a ~900psi range ---  this causes an overly light and "loose" feeling because the power assist is too much.   The fix is to internally go into the PS pump and add spacers into the pressure valve...  making the bypass spring stiffer and decreasing the pressure. - this trick can be applied to the gear boxes as well (insert Firm Feel's products) - but the result is the same.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

chargerbr549

Here's a link on mopar power steering pumps that might be of interest.
http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/pspumps.shtml

Kevin