News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radiator re-core

Started by W4ATL, June 02, 2009, 04:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W4ATL

I am going to have my 26" radiator re-cored since I don't know the history and I am having trouble with the temperature rising when at highway speeds.  I have changed out everything else that is easy (hoses, thermostat, cap) to no avail so on to the core.  Should I go for the 3 or 4 row core?

r_biccum

If your having troubles, I'd say go to the 4 core  :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger SE 383 727 #'s matching with original 8 track
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

Chryco Psycho

the 3 core high efficiency i sbetter than the 4 core , the 4 th row doesn`t really cool but it does add capacity , the stock tanks probably will not fit the 4 core either

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 05, 2009, 02:33:44 AM
the 3 core high efficiency i sbetter than the 4 core , the 4 th row doesn`t really cool but it does add capacity , the stock tanks probably will not fit the 4 core either
:iagree:
I recently had my "055" rad recored using a 3 row high efficiency core (more tubes per square inch) and it works great....runs between 180-190 on the hottest traffic laden days.

Dapending on your rad a 4 core wont fit in the tanks.....on an 055 rad which is originally a 2 core, 3 cores was stretching it to the max
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

62 Max

The other problem with a 4 core is that it reduces core to fan clearance.Can be a problem in some applications especially in 65 and earlier b-bodies as the K member set's the engine approximatly 1 3/4" closer to the radiator.
Prime example on my 62 Savoy..

W4ATL

Just got the radiator back with the 4 row core and it fit in the car perfect. Just need to get some anti-freeze and then take it out for a test drive. I was lucky to have an old-time radiator shop near where I live.

W4ATL

Radiator re-core did the trick.  The temp stays in the middle during highway driving.