News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Leaking 727

Started by orange68, June 02, 2009, 01:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orange68

My tranny is killing me!! I had a leak last time I ran it (a huge leak) about 3 quart in 6 miles. Took the tranny down and replaced the front axel seal, tranny up in car again and what do you think??? Same f***ing leak, just flowing out of the d***ed tranny, down with it again and searching for the leak, but I just can't figure it out. Nothing wrong with the front seal, took the pump out, nothing wrong with the pump seal. Thinking it might be the converter, I pressured it with air app. 20 PSI. Don't see any leak there. It looks suspicious around the hub though (the weld). Any ideas, I don't want to put it up again just to have the same leak :'(

73chgrSE

Is it coming from in front of the pan? Mine leaks there too, (front seal) i've been told. if you just replaced it try another one. They just dont make stuff like they used to.

Nacho-RT74

three posibilities commonly forgotten and sometimes hard to notice:

-O ring at reverse lever shaft ( need to remove tail housing to see it ) ( 52 on diagram )

-Seal at shifter shaft ( 4 on diagram )

-O ring at filler tube. ( 3 on diagram )

another one, speedo gear seals ( 74 and 77 on diagram ), but that should be easier to locate

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

GPULLER

I had the same troubles.  Thought it was coming from the front seal.  Got the car up in the air, pulled the converter cover and it was dry.  My leak was coming from the dip stick tube.  Installed a new o-ring with a wipe of silicone around the tube and case.  Let it sit over night before filling. 
I also replaced the pan gasket with one from a 98-2000 pickup.  Its hard plastic with a rubber bead on both sides.  That way you can't over tighten it and have the gasket squish out.  The gasket is a dealer only deal.  P/N 2464324AC retail of around $15.60.
Happy to report no leaks for a year now.

orange68

It's dripping from somewhere between converter and trans. It is not wet anywhere else. I was thinking what happens if the oilcooler lines are clogged, and it get too high pressure there, can it leak out the breatherhole? :shruggy:

flyinlow

It leaks alot while running?

Trans cooler line loose at trans. (front one) can drip down belhousing while  standing still.no wind to blow rearward.

Converter drain plug tight, not stripped?

If its comming out of the inside of the bellhousing it would be the pump seal, pump housing , vent or damaged converter.

Home much fluid is in the Trans? Not over filled, about 9 quarts to fill from empty with a drained converter , check idleing in neutral... Sorry just covering the bases.

orange68

Finally!! Got the tranny tight and nice. Bought new converter (I wanted a little more stall anyway) and replaced the pump (I have another tranny laying in the garage, that needs an overhaul). Now everything is nice again :icon_smile_cool: , only thing is that I still don't know what was wrong, the converter or the pump. But now I have some time to figure it out. Nice to have some more stall too, now it flies away with smoking tires when I hit the floor. :D

73 charger

The 727 has a vent hole in front which can overflow!  look into info r/t vent drainage!  You may have to run a little low to prevent leaking thru vent!  I run TCI max shift fluid with good results!

Mike
1973 Dodge Charger, "Big Blue", Petty Blue (TB3), 408 Stroker, 460 TQ, RPM Air Gap Dual Plane Intake #7577, Edelbrock 750 cfm Performer Carb #1411, Holley Fuel pump (110 gph), Edelbrock #8877 water pump, MSD #8388 pro-billet RTR distrib, Comp Cam 233I/240E, lobe sep 110 deg, Hayes Heavy-Duty Flexplate, TCI Breakaway Torque Converter-stall 2200-2400, TCI 727-Street Fighter, DTS Stainless Steel balanced drive shaft tube with 7290 u-joint/yoke, DTS 3:54 Dana 60, Trak-Lok posi-unit, MT Drag Radials