News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question on 4 spd conversion

Started by uud looz, June 01, 2009, 09:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uud looz

Hi Guys, I am in the middle of contemplating swapping in a 4 spd in place of my 727 that recently went  out on me and was hoping to get a few questions answered.  Are the crossmember or driveshaft different between the manual and auto transmissions? How different are the auto floor consoles from the manuals?

Iam looking at this set up on ebay. Anyone ever dealt with this guy? Seem like a decent price?     http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-ROAD-RUNNER-CHARGER-4-SPEED-PISTOL-GRIP-CONVERSON_W0QQitemZ330331542643QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4ce94b5473&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I appreciate any help you can give me

r_biccum

With 3347 sales, and 99.2% posotive feedback, I'd say he's legit.
1969 Dodge Charger SE 383 727 #'s matching with original 8 track
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
2003 Hummer H2

c00nhunterjoe

the auto and stick crossmembers are different. its not a big deal though. it is semi-modded from the factory for you.  if you look at the crossmember the auto trans mount is on a plate that is welded to the front of the main unit. if you look at the main section of the crossmember you will see a small hole and 2 large holes. they line up in the same style as the auto mount does on the front. now, if i havent lost you already with my mumbling, flip the crossmember upside down and it has a solid plate covering it. you have to cut that plate off and then the trans mount will drop down inside of the crossmember and line up perfectly with the holes

uud looz

Thanks for the tip I'll look into that. Any ideas on tha driveshaft?

Runner

if its for your car in the avistar(71 and later charger) the trans in the ebay add is the wrong one, youl need a duel mount shifter tail housing tranny because you  should be mounting the shifter to the rear mount.the floor hump is also wrong. and the crossmember will be the same as your auto member if you use a duel mount shifter tail shaft tranny.   

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

c00nhunterjoe

ah, ok, my tranny was a 68'. it was the long tail shaft with the b-body shifter mount. the output splines matched that of the 727 so my shaft fits just fine. my crossmember had to be modified but only a 5 minute job to do. i will snap some pictures of it tomarrow as long as the rain holds off

uud looz

Chryco Psycho

in 71 /72 the cross member & driveshaft are the same for both
you will need a lot of parts , Clutch , belhousing , pedals , floor hump , carpet , shift handle / pistol grip , shift linkages , clutch lever & linkage & frame mount & pilot bushing for starters