News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Roof Prep

Started by twodko, May 30, 2009, 11:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

I've just finished scraping all the old vinyl and adhesive off my 69's roof. Luckily the sheet metal is damage/rust free. What's the best primer to seal it with before the new top goes on? Thanks

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

twodko

Epoxy primer it is, thanks. Your 68 looks great from the small picture. Is it a 4 speed or A/T?

Tom

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Skyview69

Can you paint the roof and later put the vinyl top on?   :shruggy:  Or should the vinyl be done first?  I have a 71 with a canopy vinyl top and am about to remove all the glue and crap.  I am not sure if I will add the vinyl back on or not but if you can't paint it first then I will add it.

thanks

twodko

Hello Skyview 69

If you're getting your car shot and are unsure if you'll put another vinyl top on it, have the roof shot and finished as well. You definitely don't want to install a new top and then have the car painted. You can always put a vinyl top on later right over the new paint.....after its cured of course. Cheers!

Tom

Skyview69

twodko

My pleasure! I can sympathize with your upcoming chore. I just scraped off all the old adhesive from my 69's roof in prep for its new top after paint. The old vinyl came off relatively easy with some pieces coming off in sheets. I found that WD40 and 3M Adhesive Remover softened up the old glue to some extent but the best method for me was razor blades in a scrapper riveted open and patience. Wipe the scrapped roof down with solvent if you use WD40. I've since lightly sanded the top with 180 grit wet/dry using a 5" Makita random orbit sander in preparation for a coat of epoxy primer. As you scrap just think about how great its going to look when you're done!

Tom

Skyview69

Wha kind/brand of epoxy primer is best to use?

twodko

You've got me there. I plan to go with what epoxy primer is recommended at my local autobody & paint store.

Tom

Skyview69

Belgium R/T -68

I'm just in the process of putting my vinylroof on mine with the roof just painted together with the rest of the car, do I need to
do anything to surface to let the glue work better. :scratchchin:
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

twodko

Once your paint is cured the contact adhesive used to glue the new top down is very tacky and sticks to just about anything. Evidence of this is the resilience and strength of the adhesive even after decades on a car. I'd wait at least 30 days to let the paint cure.

Pix of your car after the new top is on!

Tom

Silver R/T

Quote from: Skyview69 on June 01, 2009, 01:50:09 PM

PPG DPLF epoxy primer is one of the best if you can get it. It also comes in different colors.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Skyview69

Quote from: Silver R/T on June 01, 2009, 05:40:45 PM

PPG DPLF epoxy primer is one of the best if you can get it. It also comes in different colors.

Thanks....next question is where do you get it?  :scratchchin:

Silver R/T

Quote from: Skyview69 on June 02, 2009, 07:36:15 AM
Quote from: Silver R/T on June 01, 2009, 05:40:45 PM

your friendly local auto body supply store

Thanks....next question is where do you get it?  :scratchchin:

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722