News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear main seal

Started by 68chargerboy, May 30, 2009, 11:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargerboy

i know this has been asked atleast 29302928940 times but i need some help on how to go about replacing it.  i dont want to pull the motor if i have to and i also want some advice as to what would be the best way to go as for the seal such as rope seal, 2 piece, etc. thanks in advance

ps i searched this and could not find any links with solid info on how to do the replacement

68chargerboy

on top of the rear main seal problem i was under my car looking to see if i could fine the leak with the motor running and my torque converter seemed as if it was a out of control? should i be able to notice variations in it moving inside of the bellhousing on the trans?

Challenger340

Best step by step for the seal replacement if U'r gonna do it yourself may be the Shop Manual, as it could become a very long description here ?

What do you mean "out of control" on the Torque Convertor ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

68chargerboy

the shop manual says that i need to remove the cranck an i thought that i have heard before that i could do it without doing so.  and for the torque convertor it seems to spin like its lop sided a little bit.  is this ok?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 68chargerboy on May 31, 2009, 08:09:13 PM
the shop manual says that i need to remove the cranck an i thought that i have heard before that i could do it without doing so.  and for the torque convertor it seems to spin like its lop sided a little bit.  is this ok?

The crank doesn't need to be removed completely but it needs to be dropped. It's a difficult job from under the car.  :P

There is something wrong with the torque converter from what you're describing or the flexplate could be broken. If it were mine i'd be pulling the engine to address both problems.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

68chargerboy

ron,
     so could the flewxplate/torque convertor problem be a cause to the bad rear seal?

firefighter3931

Quote from: 68chargerboy on June 01, 2009, 06:48:11 PM
ron,
     so could the flewxplate/torque convertor problem be a cause to the bad rear seal?

Yep  :P
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

68chargerboy

so should i just change out the flex plate or should i do the rear main seal while its all tore apart?

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 31, 2009, 09:10:24 PM
Quote from: 68chargerboy on May 31, 2009, 08:09:13 PM

The crank doesn't need to be removed completely but it needs to be dropped. It's a difficult job from under the car.  :P

I have done!... well not me personally, one mechanic once on my engine.

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 01, 2009, 10:36:53 PM
Quote from: 68chargerboy on June 01, 2009, 06:48:11 PM
ron,

Yep  :P

How ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

RD

incessant vibrations causing too much harmonics and ultimately causing the seal to prematurely wear, hence giving him the leak.

good answer or full of shit, i will let you decide :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander