News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

hurst hot shift ATF ( updated) PICS ..

Started by mally69, May 28, 2009, 08:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mally69

Has anyone used hurst hot shift ATF in there 727?

maxwellwedge

In the "old" days we used to use Ford ATF to firm up the shifts. The stuff B&M used to sell (Trick-Shift?) was the Ford stuff back then - maybe that's what this stuff is in a more modern blend.

mally69

Well, im not sure but i was a bit low on tranny fluid so i added some of that hot shift ATF and somtimes when i go through the gears and when it shifts into 3rd when my foot is to the floor it seems like it shifts real slow into 3rd. I thought maybe that ATF is like a synthetic blend and is to slippery for the clutch packs. I dont know that why I am asking. Didnt notice it shifting weird before i added that.

c00nhunterjoe

band might need adjusting

mally69

Ok here is the scoop I just had this tranny rebuilt last spring and it toast all over again. I dropped the tranny pan and the fluid was brown all over again and full of sediment and shavings. Now this is a completey different tranny than the last one that went out and was built by a different shop and the same thing happend. My clutch packs just are not holding up, and i have the lickdown hooked up exactly correct. Both trannys did the same thing and both had a 3 pinion planetary sets and i have a 4 pinion just laying here. Point me in the right direction for good clutch paks and using the 4 pin planetary set and also i want to get a manual valve body for it with the factory forward pattern. I already know what convertor and stall i am going to use. Its a TCI streetfighter 3000-3500 stall- if you guys have any better thought on a convertor let me know also.

Runner

i doubt that the 3 gear planitary is your problem.     as for a converter,  there are several good shops out there. i personally like paul forte at turbo action.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

firefighter3931

I'll second the Turbo Action converter recommendation. I also like their "Pro-Street" forward pattern manual valvebody....i have it in my car and have recommended it to others with excellent results.  :2thumbs:

It sounds like your trans is developing too much heat.....could be converter slip or band adjustment. I'd replace the TCI and install a stand alone cooler and deep pan after the trans is rebuilt.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

c00nhunterjoe

auto's in these heavy cars with big converters need huge coolers for cruise-mobile's. otherwise the converter overheats and cooks it.  i built a 727 for my buddy's 67 belvedere 6 years ago, i used an "off the shelf" overhaul kit from a local shop. nothin performance about the clutches, steels or seals. i left out quite a few springs inside the beast and installed a cheetah manual valve body, and a 3000 stall converter. it sees TONS of abuse from him and his motor is very healthy. 440, 30 over, edlbrock heads, 11:1 comp cam 565/575 .268 at .050 if i recall,  dont quote me on the cam without the card. it is the largest hydraulic cam that comp makes for 440's.  my point is the tranny is holding up just fine behind the abuse of a 475ish hp motor without any major mods to the internals. 727's are gravy to build. i would suggest if you have the time to grab a book and lay one out on the table. if all you are having done is slap some clutches and seals in it then you may want to try a shop that has experiance with torqueflite tricks rather then a "stock" rebuild

mally69

Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 15, 2009, 10:42:38 PM
I'll second the Turbo Action converter recommendation. I also like their "Pro-Street" forward pattern manual valvebody....i have it in my car and have recommended it to others with excellent results.  :2thumbs:

It sounds like your trans is developing too much heat.....could be converter slip or band adjustment. I'd replace the TCI and install a stand alone cooler and deep pan after the trans is rebuilt.  :Twocents:

Ron

So basiaclly plug off the lines going throught the radiator and hook the tranny cooling lines up to its own cooler all together?

c00nhunterjoe

that, or you can still use the factory cooler in addition to an aftermarket. depends on how large of a cooler you put on it

mally69

well i think it would be easier to give it one of it own, got any links to where i can buy one and where o nthe car it should be placed.

c00nhunterjoe

firefighter3931

Quote from: mally69 on June 16, 2009, 08:52:51 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on June 15, 2009, 10:42:38 PM

Ron

So basiaclly plug off the lines going throught the radiator and hook the tranny cooling lines up to its own cooler all together?

Mally,

Use the B&M stacked plate "Supercooler" and run it as a stand alone unit. I mounted mine on the driver side in front of the rad....i had to because the pusher fan sits directly in front of the rad. The brackets are 1in flat stock.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

lisiecki1

alto clutches, kolene steels, bolt in sprague, kevlar bands, transgo TF3 valve body kit, and HP Books Torqueflight A-727 Transmission Handbook by Carl H. Munroe :2thumbs:
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Ghoste

I like to use both coolers personally.

mally69

Ok i got my tranny out to night it took about 2 hours. the x-pipe is a son of  :RantExplode: , well anyhow when i pulled the convertor of and shook it around you can hear something bouncing around inside, whatever it is is pretty loose in there. Ant ideas?

c00nhunterjoe

the converter will move, i have never shaken one before though. the converter is not causing your slow shifts.

Ghoste

You are likely hearing the stator and one way clutch rattling around in there.

mally69

I need a 3000 stall which turbo  action convertor do i need to get. All the ones on summit say something about not for racing and they all say something about the balance on them. kinda has me a little confused.

Runner

Quote from: Ghoste on June 17, 2009, 06:44:38 AM
I like to use both coolers personally.

i agree.        call turbo action and talk to paul forte, get the part number you need then order it from summit and ask them to have it drop shipped to you.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

mally69

Ok i got my tranny all in, wow i love that turbo action manual valve body it is sweet  :2thumbs:  I had my convertor drained and flushed out and checked and it was still good so i saved myself the cost of a new convertor. It was a TCI streetfighter 3000-3500 stall. But Everything is working great so far, i drove it around all weekend, and i also got a tranny cooler installed and i bypassed the radiator completley. Illpost a pic as soon as i get one. thanks guys.  :2thumbs:

mally69

sorry it took a while for the pics i had to do a cam change. pics are a bit distored, this tranny cooler is the summit brand unit.

c00nhunterjoe

looks good, might i suggest a tranny temp gauge just to see what kind of temps you are hitting on cruises? could give you a heads up before you toast something again.  big converters naturally produce more heat in the car's due to the higher flash speed so if you are cruising "on the converter" it will build up heat quickly

mally69

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on August 12, 2009, 07:53:34 PM
looks good, might i suggest a tranny temp gauge just to see what kind of temps you are hitting on cruises? could give you a heads up before you toast something again.  big converters naturally produce more heat in the car's due to the higher flash speed so if you are cruising "on the converter" it will build up heat quickly

very true just may have to hook one up, soundslike a good idea  :2thumbs: