News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Balancing wheels "lug centrically"

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, May 28, 2009, 07:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

When I got my 15x7 Road Wheels from Specialty Wheels about 5 years ago I remember on the box it stated these wheels were not "hub centric" and should be balanced using the lug holes.
The shop I took them to didn't have this setup and had to put the rims on the machine through the center hole using the cone.  They balanced good enough with my intention to get them done right in the near future (so much for the "near" part)

Anyhoo, anyone have this done on their repro wheels?

QuoteLug Centric
A hub and wheel design in which the wheel is centered by the lug nuts/bolts themselves, often
with clearance between the center of the hub and the cut out in the wheel. Toyota wheels are lug centric
and as such require a special lug centric
fixture to be properly balanced on a cone type
balancing machine, as the wheel center hole may not be exactly centered on the lug center point.

This is from the Specialty Wheel Warranty page on their website....

QuoteIMPORTANT BALANCING INSTRUCTIONS: All of our wheels are designed to be balanced from the lug holes only.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

mauve66

heard of it but never seen it done............... :popcrn: :popcrn:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Daytona R/T SE

Years ago (25+)? I had a buddy that worked at a front end alignment shop.  When they balanced wheels,they balanced them ON THE CAR.
That way,the wheel,tire,hub,disc/drum,everything got balanced along with the wheel.

They had a machine that would spin the wheel up to speed, on the car.

It had a ring that was attatched to the wheel, and somehow they balanced the whole works at once.

I've seen these machines for sale at auctions over the years since, but not having the knowledge to use them, I never bought one.

I wonder if anything like this exists today?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

0X01B8

Yeah, my Bassetts DOTs are lug centric.  Nobody in a regular tire store will know what you're talking about if you walk in and say "lug centric."  They'll try and balance them with the cone deal, and then they'll tell you that the rims are bent.  Luckily for me, there's a great shop nearby that can balance them while they're on the car.  Seems like the way to go, even with hub centric wheels.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Friggin amazing...I called 4 large tire shops that deal in custom wheels all day long & NONE of them have a lug hole balancer....W T F ?!?!?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

FLG

hmm...

Your close enough ill ask around.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I finally found a shop that does this balancing.  My friend had his repro wheels from Specialty Wheels done for his 71 Buick GS today.
Probably bring them in next week to have mine done  :2thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on May 28, 2009, 11:22:10 PM
Years ago (25+)? I had a buddy that worked at a front end alignment shop.  When they balanced wheels,they balanced them ON THE CAR.
That way,the wheel,tire,hub,disc/drum,everything got balanced along with the wheel.

They had a machine that would spin the wheel up to speed, on the car.

It had a ring that was attatched to the wheel, and somehow they balanced the whole works at once.

I've seen these machines for sale at auctions over the years since, but not having the knowledge to use them, I never bought one.

I wonder if anything like this exists today?

I have seen machines what spin tires to make the aligment... THOSE ARE NICE, but WHAT ABOUT SG AXLES ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html