News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Charger Caught on FIRE

Started by bordin34, May 27, 2009, 08:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

My car caught on fire today. I was just driving down a road ,going to a cruise night, and when I approached a stop sign the car died. I didn't think anything of it since that occasionally happens. Then I see some smoke coming out from under the hood. So I grab my fire extinguisher from behind the passenger seat, pop the hood, pull the extinguisher pin, and run to the front of the hood. When I opened the hood there were flames shooting out from near the distributor all the way to the hood. So I start shooting the extinguisher in the general area of the flames, after using about half of it they went away then flared up again. I ran to the other side of the car, through the cloud of smoke and extinguisher junk, and emptied the extinguisher into the engine bay and the fire finally went out. It was probably burning for less than 30 seconds. Then some lady called the fire department a cop came in about 1 minute and took my info and they came in about 3 minutes and didn't need to do anything they just took my license info and asked me if the battery was disconnected, it was. The cop called AAA for me and it was flatbedded home. In the driveway I hosed off all the baking soda and junk. The junk was on for probably less than an hour. Luckily as of right now I do not think there is much damage. All that I need it a distributor since the 12v wires got burnt, fuel line, clean or replace my K&N air filter, and maybe put a new temp sending unit lead on if it got burnt. Hopefully the baking soda junk didn't have enough time to ruin the electronics. What happened was the fuel line where it connects to the carb feed rail thing sprung a leak and caught fire.

After the hosing

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

jb666

WOW, man, it could have been a lot worse!!  :cheers: :cheers:

69bronzeT5

Hey Dan, any chance it was the line you bent to fit? You know, the one I warned you about :scratchchin: ;) Glad you weren't hurt or the car wasn't hurt that much. Was the battery still connected when the flames flared back up again? Funny that this happens, I just packed up my fire extingusher for the Duster road trip :yesnod:

PS: Good job parking near the wooden building when the car was on fire! :smilielol: :nana:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

FLG

Thank god, could have been alot worse is right!

If you need anything just ask man.

mikesbbody

That sucks dan but Im glad your ok and that the damage wasnt too bad.  :2thumbs:

richRTSE

Good thing you had an extinguisher and were able to minimize the damage. Things can get pretty ugly pretty fast. I keep one in my car too. Hopefully you'll have her back on the road soon. Glad no one was hurt either.
:2thumbs:

WingCharger

At least nobody got hurt. Hope it comes out okay. Fire extinguisher powder is baaad stuff on electronics and electrical parts. :2thumbs:

bordin34

The fuel line that leaked was a rubber one not the one I bent. The fire flared up again a second after it went out so the battery was still connected. I'm hoping the electronics will be fine since I hoses off the junk quickly.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

NYCMille

Glad to hear everything is ok man...  :2thumbs:

jaak

First off, glad your ok!!! and secondly glad the car is ok.... doesn't look like there is a whole lot of damage there. You should get it back on the road quickly.

Jason

oldcarnut

"Then some lady called the fire department a cop came in about 1 minute and took my info and they came in about 3 minutes and didn't need to do anything they just took my license info and asked me if the battery was disconnected"

Keep an eye out on your insurance.  I had a Chevy Suburban blow a tranny on the interstate one day and left one big cloud trail of smoke from the oil on the exhaust. I guess it had been building up about  1/4 mile before I noticed that the cruise control was slipping and looked in the mirror.  Fire dept. was called by someone but there was no fire.  Those guys tried to charge my insurance about 500 hundred dollars for the trip.  I was grateful someone had called thinking I was on fire but the smoke was cleared by the time they got there and maybe 1 1/2 mile from the dept. they came from.  I know the truck was pretty heavy on gas but that seemed a little bit steep.  They tried to do it off my license when I didn't have cash on hand.  Hope it all works out for you and glad car and driver was ok.

moparstuart

great lesson for all of us to carry a fire ext. , also great idea to carry your camera . Glad that you and the car are  ok  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Buzzit1

Dan,

Sorry about your fire but that was/is a very valuable lesson for all of us:  Keep a fire extinguisher in your vehicle at all times!  Just think if "you had left home without it"!

mauve66

Quote from: oldcarnut on May 27, 2009, 08:54:30 PM
"Then some lady called the fire department a cop came in about 1 minute and took my info and they came in about 3 minutes and didn't need to do anything they just took my license info and asked me if the battery was disconnected"

Keep an eye out on your insurance.  I had a Chevy Suburban blow a tranny on the interstate one day and left one big cloud trail of smoke from the oil on the exhaust. I guess it had been building up about  1/4 mile before I noticed that the cruise control was slipping and looked in the mirror.  Fire dept. was called by someone but there was no fire.  Those guys tried to charge my insurance about 500 hundred dollars for the trip.  I was grateful someone had called thinking I was on fire but the smoke was cleared by the time they got there and maybe 1 1/2 mile from the dept. they came from.  I know the truck was pretty heavy on gas but that seemed a little bit steep.  They tried to do it off my license when I didn't have cash on hand.  Hope it all works out for you and glad car and driver was ok.

tell they you already paid for the trip............... WITH YOUR TAXES
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Khyron

Quote from: mauve66 on May 27, 2009, 09:45:29 PM

no sh&^%%! there. I would be livid if they tryed that crap with me.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

69*F5*SE

Glad to hear everything is ok.  Having the extinguisher handy is a must with these older cars.  I'm sure you'll have it back on the road again soon. 

oldcarnut

[/quote]
I think they may have been a volunteer dept. if it make any difference but either way it's something to look out for.  Maybe it's like letting the ambulance treat you at the accident scene or declining help  :shruggy:

BROCK

Such a nice looking ride!  Glad it survived :drool5:

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: jaak on May 27, 2009, 08:52:43 PM
First off, glad your ok!!! and secondly glad the car is ok.... doesn't look like there is a whole lot of damage there. You should get it back on the road quickly.

Jason

:iagree:

Thanks God everything was fine with you, and realyt does look not big damages either. Easy and cheap fix :thumbs:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

TexasStroker

As stressed soo lucky you had the fire extinguisher!  Hopefully it'll be an easy fix for you.

On another bright note that is prob the coolest call the firemen have been on all year.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

bull

Whew! Close one, eh? Very wise of you to have a fire extinguisher on hand.

tan top

:o yikes ... like the others said could of been worse ....   thats good looks like a easy fix & no exterior  paint damage by the looks of it  :yesnod:
    :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

mikepmcs

Let us know if you need anything.
Glad all is well. I need to look at my extinguishers to make sure they are still at full charge. :2thumbs:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bakerhillpins

Quote from: WingCharger on May 27, 2009, 08:19:39 PM
At least nobody got hurt. Hope it comes out okay. Fire extinguisher powder is baaad stuff on electronics and electrical parts. :2thumbs:

Ah yea, I was thinking the same thing. If it was a common dry chem extinguisher you might as well replace all the electrics. That stuff gets into everything and it eats electronics. This is the reason that computer facilities only have CO2 extinguishers on site. If you have insurance on the car you may want to get them involved in the repairs that I suspect you will soon encounter.

Bryan
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

mjwebb

oh man that is so scary, I know...just got my 70 and was driving around near home this past weekend when I noticed smoke coming from under the hood...stopped and popped the hood...the wire to the alternator bolt was red hot smoking and a small flame coming off it...fuel line nearby...i blew on it and wiggled it around and it stopped but I didn't have an extinguisher or wrench to disconnect the battery. called the gf and she brought one..flatbed ride to my mechanics place...turns out there is a wiring problem that has to do with the horn or relay or something I don't understand...still waiting to get it back...gotta' say, I was panicked and had thought it was going to go up in flames