News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Auto-transmission gear change question

Started by TonyN, May 26, 2009, 10:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyN

A little simple compared to some of these other posts on here...anyways:

I will give my usual preface in that I am new to this, and usually have the work done by professionals.

I have a 69 Charger with a 440, 727 Trans and a recently re-done 3.73 differential.

I find that the the car goes up through the three gears very quickly.  i.e. It goes into second at around 10-15 mph, and third around 30 mph.  I could be off with the exact numbers, but that is the case in general.

Is it possible to adjust (something) so that the car stays in first and second a little longer?  I'm finding when I want to 'jump' off at a light or something, I would rather it stay in first a little longer (rather than 'manually') shifting gears.

What am I looking at, in terms of what needs to be adjusted, and who would be the best to look at it?

Thanks,

Tony

Ghoste

With a lower rearend ratio like you have that may not be all that unusual.  However, if you are jumping on it fairly hard then it should be delaying the shift a little longer and that could be due to a number of things and probably the first thing to check is that the linkage we commonly refer to as the "kickdown" is properly adjusted.

RD

agrees with ghoste.  if you want it to shift at a higher rpm/speed, you have two options:

shift manually

or

replace the governor to a higher rpm governor
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander