News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's the story on selling Freon R12

Started by oldcarnut, May 27, 2009, 04:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I have about  a dozen or so cans of 1lb R12 that's not really needed anymore that I'm considering selling/trading.  I see where some say all that is needed is for the seller to get in writing from the buyer that he is getting a licensed person to install it.  I don't think I have to have anything to openly sell it and don't care who does what with it but just want to know what was really supposed to happen. Biggest concern would be about how to ship it if someone local didn't want any of it.  Anyone know what the going rate is?  Ebay looks about $25 on up a can.  I'll check with some of my friends at the carshow this evening but if it's too much hassle I guess it can sit on the shelf a while longer. Nothing I have uses it anymore and when I install the new system in the RR I'll go with the 134.  I know it's real hard to get and $$$ when you got to pay someone to put it at the shop so maybe I should hold onto to some of it.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: oldcarnut on May 27, 2009, 04:53:41 PM
I have about  a dozen or so cans of 1lb R12 that's not really needed anymore that I'm considering selling/trading.  I see where some say all that is needed is for the seller to get in writing from the buyer that he is getting a licensed person to install it.  I don't think I have to have anything to openly sell it and don't care who does what with it but just want to know what was really supposed to happen. Biggest concern would be about how to ship it if someone local didn't want any of it.  Anyone know what the going rate is?  Ebay looks about $25 on up a can.  I'll check with some of my friends at the carshow this evening but if it's too much hassle I guess it can sit on the shelf a while longer. Nothing I have uses it anymore and when I install the new system in the RR I'll go with the 134.  I know it's real hard to get and $$$ when you got to pay someone to put it at the shop so maybe I should hold onto to some of it.
I had a buch of extra cans at one time also.  I drove to different garages and asked them if they wanted to buy the cans at 20.00 a pop.  I sold all of them and that was that.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Tilar

My old lincoln needs some. If I keep it I'll probably convert it, but I'm not even sure what you need to do to convert it to the 134.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Bossman963

I could use & will buy the r-12 and give me a fiar price on them
thx Mike
68 Charger 440- under construction
70 Challenger R/T 383 in 2nd version of Vanishing Point. 4 SALE
69 Boss 302
70 Boss 302
74 pantera GTS

Charger_Fan

I don't think shipping it would be any different than shipping R134...just put it in a box so it won't rattle around a lot & ship it. :2thumbs: I guess you could ask a UPS office what's involved with it first, just so you don't get any surprises.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

charger500440

The cost of R-12 now is so high that it's not worth even buying it. That's if you can even find it. Any decent body shop or mechanical shop can convert it over to R-134 for you. Not a big deal. Personally I do not know all that is involved but a number of shops (I work for an insurance company so I know a lot of shops) tell me it's not difficult at all...

Mike
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

Tilar

I remember when the R-134 first came out they claimed it wouldn't work in the old systems at all. That was 20+ years ago. Then they came back and said that you could use it if you flushed the system and changed your drier and filter, and if you didnt flush the system that it would turn all the o-rings in the system to a goo like substance. Last I talked to anyone they basically told me add adapters for the new freon, evac the system and install the new freon.   :shruggy:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

mopar_nut_440_6

I used to work in a shop that did AC. All you need to do to convert is change all of the o-rings in the system, change the compressor oil, flush the system well. Check for leaks and the recharge with R134. Parts are not expensive but definitely a bit of labor involved.

R134 is also not as efficient as R12 and will not cool quite as well but it will do.
1968 Charger R/T 440 
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 680 HP Cummins with attitude

ACUDANUT

Freon is just a name (supplier) of a product that produces refrigerant.  I don't even think they even still exist. Anyway, R-134a is a cheap and easy way to keep that hot car cold again. :Twocents:
Anyone can change over the system. It's that easy.  :cheers:

oldcarnut

Quote from: Charger_Fan on May 28, 2009, 03:52:50 PM
I don't think shipping it would be any different than shipping R134...just put it in a box so it won't rattle around a lot & ship it. :2thumbs: I guess you could ask a UPS office what's involved with it first, just so you don't get any surprises.

I'll check the local shipping place and see what they say. 

John_Kunkel

From a legal standpoint anybody can own, sell, and ship R-12 but the buyer must be licensed.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

oldcarnut

The mail place said no special rules for it just no air shipments so I posted 11 cans in the classifieds.