News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what timing set do I need?

Started by mopar400, May 24, 2009, 10:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar400

Hi everyone!
I need to know if i got the 1-or3 bolt pattern on the camshaft,  its a 400 mopar?

Im changing my Heads, and while I´m at it, the cam too:), perhaps the intake and carb also..

//Linus

terrible one

I can't answer your question but so you know I've got a new, only bolted together and then taken off, timing set for the 1 bolt cam if that ends up being what you need.

mopar400

I,m writing from sweden but thanks anyway

firefighter3931

Quote from: mopar400 on May 24, 2009, 10:16:41 AM
Hi everyone!
I need to know if i got the 1-or3 bolt pattern on the camshaft,  its a 400 mopar?

Im changing my Heads, and while I´m at it, the cam too:), perhaps the intake and carb also..

//Linus

The stock cam will be a single bolt.  :yesnod:

If you're installing a new camshaft it could be either a single or 3 bolt flank. Just order the timing set to match the new cam and you're ready to start building.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mopar400

mopar400

while on the subject...
Do you know on what permisses one should choose valve springs?
Is the cam designed for a specific set of springs or what?
I´we got the MP 933 springs mounted will they work with, hmm lets say a mild perf cam..? (like XTREME ENERGY 21-223-4)

//Linus

firefighter3931

I prefer to use the recommended springs for the cam application.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mopar400

Yeah I understand, the thing is, I bought new heads with new springs mounted, and these are, what I understand good performance springs,
the question really is, can the springs be to hard/weak, short or something..I dont know..
Maybe I just go with the cam manifactures recomendation, buy new springs

//Linus

firefighter3931

Quote from: mopar400 on May 28, 2009, 12:55:36 AM
Yeah I understand, the thing is, I bought new heads with new springs mounted, and these are, what I understand good performance springs,
the question really is, can the springs be to hard/weak, short or something..I dont know..
Maybe I just go with the cam manifactures recomendation, buy new springs

//Linus

Linus,

Sure it's possible that the 933 springs will work but you need to have them checked for pressure at the installed height as well as the open pressure. MP isn't known for it's quality control and more often than not their springs are stiffer than advertised. You need to use only "enough" spring to get the job done....too stiff accelerates cam/lifter wear and can lead to cam failure, lifter collapse etc...

The Comp Cams #911 is an excellent spring for just about any flat tappet hydraulic cam profile.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

Hej Linus,
Lyssna noga pâ farbror Ron, han vet vad han pratar. Han hjälper mig bygga en 500 stroker. :icon_smile_big:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker