News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you do in this situation (no contact from buyer after transaction)

Started by Harlow, May 27, 2009, 12:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow

I recently sold a car. The transaction went smoothly. He wired me money, I received the funds and took them out in cash. I sent him the title. The last time I heard from him he told me that the shipping company would be contacting me in a few days for pick up. That was over 4 weeks ago. No contact from the buyer or shipper and I can't reach him (he apparently owns a trucking company and I only have his work number) I've left him messages.

What do I do from here? What if I don't hear from him? I'm not sure if something happened to him, maybe a family emergency, etc... I'd like to have the shop space back, especially since I wasn't planning on storing the car this long.

It all just seems weird to me. If I had bought a car, and paid for it, I would be in contact with the seller and trying to get my car as quickly as possible.

resq302

I'd leave him a voice mail or if you have his email, send him a message saying that you will start charging him X amount of dollars for storage fees.  See if that lights a fire under his ass.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

b5blue

Did you sell him something nice or a parts car? People who don't respond bug me too, you start feeling "played with".Was any thing talked about for time frame, if not it's open. (at least you have $$)

Harlow

Quote from: b5blue on May 27, 2009, 06:41:20 AM
Did you sell him something nice or a parts car? People who don't respond bug me too, you start feeling "played with".Was any thing talked about for time frame, if not it's open. (at least you have $$)

its a nice, rust free, 318 daily driver type car. 67 coronet 500. We didn't talk about time frame initially because it seemed like he was hot to get the car home, he had the ball rolling and knew about shipping since he owns a trucking company. So I may be out of luck there.

Old Moparz

You could be right, it could be some kind of emergency, or maybe the buyer is getting jerked around by the shipping company & doesn't know it yet. I'd hold off on getting nasty & write a polite letter, send it certified requiring a signature stating that you need the car picked up as soon as possible due to lack of space. Tell him that if he doesn't respond with a certain time frame, that the vehicle will have to be moved outside & subject to whatever weather conditions there are as well as storage fees. I don't think it's legal or a good idea to just charge for storage, but putting it in writing will at least create a timeline of events that's documented.

The good thing for you is you have the money.  :2thumbs:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

PocketThunder

Quote from: Old Moparz on May 27, 2009, 09:02:44 AM
You could be right, it could be some kind of emergency, or maybe the buyer is getting jerked around by the shipping company & doesn't know it yet. I'd hold off on getting nasty & write a polite letter, send it certified requiring a signature stating that you need the car picked up as soon as possible due to lack of space. Tell him that if he doesn't respond with a certain time frame, that the vehicle will have to be moved outside & subject to whatever weather conditions there are as well as storage fees. I don't think it's legal or a good idea to just charge for storage, but putting it in writing will at least create a timeline of events that's documented.

The good thing for you is you have the money.  :2thumbs:

Yep, start with a certified letter, once you get that start keeping a paper trail and hopefully he will come get it soon.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

68charger383

It seems like the guy is using you for free storage while he irons out shipping. If he had shipping lines up, he probably would have told you when they were coming to pick it up.

If no time was specifically stated regarding pick up, then it defaults to what a reasonable time would be for pick up in similar transactions. Most cars bought get picked up within one/two weeks.

Write a letter to the guy (certified & non-certified) stating he has until X to come pick up the car or you will be forced to move it outside into the elements since your new car has arrived (BS).

This way you seem like the good guy, just need the room for your new ride.

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Harlow

Quote from: 68charger383 on May 27, 2009, 03:50:29 PM
It seems like the guy is using you for free storage while he irons out shipping. If he had shipping lines up, he probably would have told you when they were coming to pick it up.

If no time was specifically stated regarding pick up, then it defaults to what a reasonable time would be for pick up in similar transactions. Most cars bought get picked up within one/two weeks.

Write a letter to the guy (certified & non-certified) stating he has until X to come pick up the car or you will be forced to move it outside into the elements since your new car has arrived (BS).

This way you seem like the good guy, just need the room for your new ride.

When I last talked to him he had shipping lined up. He said they promised him that it would be picked up within a week and that had been a few days prior to him talking to me, so he thought it would be in the next few days. If he was getting jerked around by the shipping company you think he would let me know. I haven't left any kind of angry messages so he doesn't have a reason to be afraid of the situation/talking to me.

I will probably go the letter route. If I ever sell another car I'll probably have some conditions about when the car needs to be picked up, that way I have a little more leverage if this happens again.

mauve66

you didn't get those funds from nigeria did you, the bank may be calling soon
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim