News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 3/4 emergency brake removal

Started by kcederwall08, May 26, 2009, 06:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcederwall08

Hey guys,
I'm in the process of removing my 8 3/4 axle from my 68 charger, and I'm almost done, but I'm having one difficulty. I've gotten everything unhooked except for the e brake cables, and I'm having trouble removing them. I want to remove the whole axle so I can work on it in the garage, so I wanted to undo the e brake cables where they connect to the frame like they did in this article:
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/projectbuild/mopp_0210_1967_plymouth_valiant_traction/photo_02.html

I'm having trouble removing the clips that hold in the cables, is there a special way to do this?

I know its a terrible picture, but the clips look like this : http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/Delta6164/photo.jpg

I've looked for threads about this problem, but I haven't been able to find anything that helps me, so sorry if its been covered already.

Any help is a appreciated!

Thanks,
-Kevin

mikepmcs

Kevin,

Those are pressure fitted tabs/clips(for lack of a better word) They should have a lip on the upper portion.  Take a screwdriver or chisel and put the blade end to the lip and tap them out with a hammer.  They should just slide up and out and the lines will be free.  Think of a c clip and it's basically the same thing.  You'll also find those clips hold in your door lock cylinders as well I believe. 
If they are rusted or undercoated in there just knock them side to side first to loosen em up. :2thumbs:
Hope that's a good enough explanation.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

kcederwall08

Thanks .... I finally got them off! I figured thats what they would be, but they took a lot more force than I thought they should have been, so i wanted to make sure a wasn't doing something wrong. Any ways, The diff is out and ready for my 3.55's and sure grip :) I cant wait. 

Thanks

mikepmcs

Dang I wanted 3.55's too. I'm settling for 3.91's(clutch sg) :D  No long high speed trips for me. ;D
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

kcederwall08

Wow, and I thought it would be bad for me in top speed department...I'm upgrading from a 2.76 open to this, so it should be much better on the strip with some decent freeway RPM's. :icon_smile_big:

mikepmcs

Quote from: kcederwall08 on May 26, 2009, 09:14:39 PM
I'm upgrading from a 2.76 open to this.

Me too(i still have the 2.76 in the basement because it's the original rear), except I stuffed a set of 3.23's in there, still not enough.  I'm looking for night and day diff. Hopefully this time I achieve it. :lol: 
My car when I'm not wrecking it is driven not too far from home, mostly side roads, etc... So I figure a little light to light action would be better served with the gear set I'm stuffing.

Good luck with your project.   :2thumbs:

Mike