News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Transmission output shaft question help please

Started by ChargersETC..ETC.., May 26, 2009, 06:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargersETC..ETC..

I'm trying to figure out exactly which output shaft is on my 727 transmission to match the trans slip yoke to it.             Does anyone recognise the picture?

I count 29 splines  ( I don't know if there coarse or fine?) I think there's some factory? blue paint on the end of it if that id's it?

I have tried a few driveshafts and nothing fits and I didn't want to force them on and ruin the splines.

The cars a 1968 383 4 bbl #s matching so everythings original far as I know.

Thanks

b5blue

Maybe post a photo from straight behind so members can see all the splines and count them too?  :shruggy:

Ghoste

The driveshafts you have tried, have they all been new slip yokes on them or originals?

ChargersETC..ETC..

Hi

I've tried a bunch of diffrent driveshafts I've collected.
1.a so callled matching 68 charger 727 yoke did not work
 2. a 69 charger 318 727 yoke didnt work
 3. mopar c body 727 slip yoke didn't work
all these are supposed to be properly id'd driveshafts but who knows :smilielol:

I haven't ordered any new yokes because I don't know what to order because I may be mis counting the splines since it's hard to count with the transmission seal in place and crawling around under car .Maybee I'm trying 23 splines on a 29 shaft or vice versa but my count seems right otherwise I won't even attempt to force it on the splines. Heres the odd thing I can't find a index spline Anywhere on the transmission output shaft so does that make it a fine spline?

According to the broadcastsheet the transmission is  Trans 39 - 5
and propshaft 62(should be around 52.07inces i guess) thats all I know.I havent been able to  decode the trans anymore.
Thanks for any help

Sorry about the photos I thought they'd turn out bettter will have to try again.

c00nhunterjoe

are you sure the slip yokes dont fit? i am going to take a WAG and say you assumed they are too big? if so try one again, the splines on the slip yoke are recessed pretty far up in there, it will pass into the tailshaft before the splines engage

ChargersETC..ETC..

I 've done some research on various websites and double checked my transmission heres what I've found out which may or not be correct info but it's what I going by .

all ? 727 transmissions should take a 29 spline output shaft ???
all 904 transmissions take a 25 spline output shaft ??
4spds use either a 23 spline or 29 spline same as a 727 ????

Then when you count your splines on your driveshaft slip yoke if theres a square cut groove or spline you add one to your total spline count.

So when ordering parts Mopar 25 and 26 spline slip yokes may be the same?
and Mopar  29 and 30 spline slip yokes should be the same?

I checked a driveshaft website and it stated that your transmissions output shaft won't have the extra square spline grove
but your transmission slip yoke can have the extra spline groove and if so it will fit just fine in any and all positions .

My question is - Does a 29 spline 727 output shaft actully accept? a 29 plus one square cut spline slip yoke ?

which to me seems like 29 splines going into 30 splines simpley won't match up espesially since one spline is cut square :shruggy:

I've tried to install my driveshaft and it seems like it seems like it only goes into the tailshaft about 2 inches or so. Seems like it's stoping well before the splines can mesh together and I don't want to force it on and strip the splines . Looking for advice does it sound like I have a slip yoke with bad splines and should I just replace the slip yoke with a new 29/30 727 slip yoke? I've counted 29 splines on trans repeatedly and tried a 25-26 spline slip yoke and that did not seem to fit at all.
How far should the slip yoke be installed into the transmmission tailshaft area ? I guess this post could be simplified into what would you recomend for a 29 spline 727 output shaft.Thanks

I'll keep trying to carefully get the splines mathed up

John_Kunkel

All slip yoke 727 output shafts are 30-spline, some slip yokes have 30 splines and some have one spline removed (29-spline yoke) to allow air to escape from the pocket behind the shaft.

If the slip yoke won't even start onto the output shaft it's the wrong yoke, possibly from a later OD transmission (or the splines are damaged). If the yoke will go part way onto the output shaft but not all the way, the output shaft might have an internal seal that prevents the mismatched yoke from going all the way in.

FYI, an 8 3/4" axle has the same 30-spline configuration as the 727 output shaft so, if the condition of the output shaft splines is in question, an axle shaft can be used to test the slip yoke.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ChargersETC..ETC..

Great info!  
I didn't know about the 8 3/4 axle shaft 30 spline parts interchange to test the slip yoke.

Just to clarify -Will 29 or 30 spline slip yokes both fit a 29 spline 727 transmission output shaft exactly the same ? Or is one better then the other or intended for car or truck use or something?

I've seen a few new slip yokes listed on the net (dennys,summit,year one ) but I haven't noticed anyone listing the pic of all the splines to tell if there 29 or 30 spline . I believe the add said 29/30 slip yoke which was confuseing as to what the actual count was maybee it doesn't matter and either count fits exactly the same?

I haven't found any part #s on my 30 spline transmission/driveshft slip yokes so I probley shouldn't even assume that they fit a Mopar because someone could sold me whatever they had . Theres probley a few other mfgs that use similar 30 spline slip yokes for all I know. So I really like the idea test fitting the slip yoke on a spare 8 3/4 axle outputshaft .Thanks
:2thumbs:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: ChargersETC..ETC.. on June 13, 2009, 05:42:07 AM
Just to clarify -Will 29 or 30 spline slip yokes both fit a 29 spline 727 transmission output shaft exactly the same ?

I don't know how I can explain this any more clearly, THERE IS NO 29-SPLINE 727 OUTPUT SHAFT, THEY'RE ALL 30-SPLINE If your 727 output shaft has 29 splines you miscounted.

QuoteI've seen a few new slip yokes listed on the net (dennys,summit,year one ) but I haven't noticed anyone listing the pic of all the splines to tell if there 29 or 30 spline . I believe the add said 29/30 slip yoke which was confuseing as to what the actual count was maybee it doesn't matter and either count fits exactly the same?

Once again, as I clearly stated, the only difference between the 29 and 30-spline slip yoke is one missing spline inside the yoke, both the 30 and the so-called 29-spline yokes fit the 30-spline shaft.

QuoteI haven't found any part #s on my 30 spline transmission/driveshft slip yokes so I probley shouldn't even assume that they fit a Mopar because someone could sold me whatever they had . Theres probley a few other mfgs that use similar 30 spline slip yokes for all I know.

Once again, as I clearly stated, the 30-spline yoke from the later OD trans appears the same as the 727 but it isn't.

Jeez!!
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

ChargersETC..ETC..

That info helps alot! Thank you to everyone that took the time to post and helped me figure this out . I bought this charger minus the driveshaft so it's taken some time to figure out exactly what I'm looking for a driveshaft or replacement parts slip yokes etc to build or shorten a driveshaft or whatever to get something I can use. I guess I must have miscounted the 727 output splines as 29 instead of 30 o'well as long I can use either slip yoke except od it sounds good to me.

What about 28 splines?     Awnser- hopefully I don't miscount and try and install one of them  :laugh:

Thanks

b5blue

It was a joke... :cheers: Good luck! Any good driveshaft shop should be able to hook you up!

ChargersETC..ETC..

I know the 28 splines was a joke  the wierd looking smilely face charecter was supposed to be laughing at me :smilielol:

I plan to get a driveshaft added soon cause I'm looking forward to  driveing this car. Thanks again for all the help everyone provided :cheers:

b5blue

Your gonna LOVE IT!!! (just get ready for everyone asking you to sell it to them)  :2thumbs: