News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's dye?

Started by Belgium R/T -68, June 09, 2009, 01:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

How do you refinnish dashpads/gloveboxdoors etc when they have started pealing from a former refinnish? I mean
how to get the old "paint" of and what method is "dyeing"? Like spraying paint but on vinyl? :scratchchin:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Charger-Bodie

Per,

you should be able to clean it off with some thinner on a rag. Just dont over work it or you will soften the pad.

Also, make sure to let them stand for a day or so to assure that the thinner has all evaporated from what may have soaked in.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Mike DC

The "dye" is basically an enamel or lacquer paint as I understand things. 

They mix it with a lowered amount of gloss and a chemical to promote flexibility is added (like they use in the paint they mix for urethane bumper covers). 

-----------------------------------------------------

The "dye" is not suitable for heavy-wearing areas like the seat vinyl or the armrests.  It will wear off.  But for dashboards and other areas of the interior that are not heavily touched & worn, the "dye" method is okay. 

Look at a modern vehicle's molded urethane steering wheel.  Pick a car that is not brand new and has been driven for a few years:  You will probably see a low-gloss surface on most of the inner part of the wheel, but the rim itself will be much glossier. 

That's because the factory molded the whole thing in the color they wanted it, and those kinds of molded urethane items always come out relatively glossy.  Then the factory sprayed a low-gloss vinyl paint (the same exact color) on top of the molded surface to make it less shiny.  But over time the low-gloss paint wears off the rim where your hands are, and you are left with a shiny wheel rim and a flatter finish on the spokes & center. 

You see the same phenomenon occurring in other high-wearing areas of a modern car's interior.  Sometimes you see it on the tops of the door panels where you might often rest your elbow. 

GN

I sprayed my sunvisor with a lacquer paint that was made for auto interiors. It is good enough for now but not for a good resto.

Belgium R/T -68

Starting to get it guys :2thumbs: Secondly on the piece of pad under the radio some a**hole in the past made 2 small holes for attaching something
on it, that doesn't seems to be repairable without a new cover or? :scratchchin:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker