News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

"What I Did on My Summer Vacation" UPDATED

Started by Recharger, November 15, 2005, 09:52:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recharger

Thought I'd share a few progress pics since 's finally starting to look like I'm getting somewhere with my 68.   I was hoping to be at this stage of the project back in August, but working a few hours every other Saturday isn't exactly ideal for keeping on schedule.   (It would be nice to actually have a summer vacation.)   There's obviously a ton left to do, so I'm hoping to have it back on the road sometime in the spring.  

Here's the summary of what I've accomplished so far:  
Complete engine rebuild of the #s 383, now a 434 stroker
Complete rebuild of the 727 w/ shift kit and 2200 rpm stall converter
Stripped & repainted the engine bay (along with some miscellaneous brackets & pieces & parts)
Pulled out the dash & interior
Stripped the floor pans, patched up the few swiss cheese holes, Zero-Rusted the whole mess.

So far all the work has been done by my dad and myself, except for the trans rebuild.   He's a machinist, so he did all the engine stuff while I handled the stripping/grinding/painting duties.   We should have the engine back in around Thanksgiving, and then I'll spend the winter working on the grille and interior stuff.  

Some before & after shots of the engine bay

Recharger

A few more shots of the engine bay...   I should thank Moparguy01 for coaching me through the chatroom on my first ever attempt at painting...  If I ever end up in North Dakota  :-X I owe you a few PBRs.   :cheers:

Recharger

Some progress pics of my supposedly "rust free" floor pans...

Recharger

If any of you are planning on grinding on your floor pans, do yourself a favor and get a good respirator.  Those paper masks with the elastic straps are worthless.   :icon_smile_blackeye:

Recharger

And last but not least, some before & afters of the engine...

BBMoparFreak

That engine bay looks great!   Good job...
That engine looks awesome!
The floors look good too!

Ah hell, the whole car looks great with what you've done w/ it.  Congrats, and keep it up!

Michael

67_Dodge_Charger

70charginglizard

Very nice.
I love the work you did on your engine bay.
I wish I would have had more time when I was doing mine but I did my engine swap at someone elses place and had limited time, help and supplies when repainting the engine bay.
Of well. Maybe I'll try again when I win the lottery and do that hemi swap....lol
70charginglizard

THE CHARGER PUNK

Johnny SixPack

Great work, Re!   :o   :icon_smile_cool:

D@mn, that motor is lookin' good. :2thumbs:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Chargerguy74

Awsome pics, my K frame looks the same right now....bunch of shoe prints from climbing in and out
WANTED: NOS or excellent condition 72-74 4 speed shifter boot for bench or centre armrest car, part number 3467755. It's a rubber boot that looks like it's sewn up leather.

WANTED: My original 440 blocks. Serial # 2A188182 and 3A100002

6pkrunner

Very nice indeed. Love the black on the engine. Will really stand out in the compartment.

4402tuff4u

Nice job!!! Thanks for sharing. I agree about the mask. I ended up using a 3M double cartridge filter mask when I did the undercarriage on my Charger. What a mess! Keep up the good work.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Charger4404spd

Doc74

Sweet !!
That looks great, I love what you did with the engine. Great job Re, keep it up  :2thumbs:

plum500

Damn that's friggin awesome. Very nice.

Mefirst

NYCMille

Way to go man... it's coming along great, you should be proud.

BB1

WOW, what a super nice Charger you have.  :o :yesnod:
Delete my profile

BigBlockSam

it's looking great ! gonna be sweet when your done,
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

ChargerSG

Looking really great, thanks for sharing... :2thumbs:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Chargen69

Recharger

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, I appreciate it.   :thumbs:

Max, those headers came like that out of the box, I didn't do any of the denting...   Those are the TTIs, btw Charger Punk.

kab69440

Pathetic, Re. What an amateur you are...

J/K ;D
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

moparguy01

Like your ever gonna end up in ND to buy me a beer. haha

Looks good, and i'm glad i could help.

Brock Samson

i thought i posted yesterday about how nice it looks, then today i see no post,.. well,.. Damn! It Looks GREAT!!  ;D

miamivice

derailed

CB

:drool5: both on engine and paint job
great job you did.
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

71Charger500

Quote from: Recharger on November 15, 2005, 10:03:34 PM
And last but not least, some before & afters of the engine...

Nice work, espically on that engine.  I'd hate to meet that at a stoplight.
1971 Charger 500 383 mod...
Takin' names on the open road.

Headrope

"The first day on my vacation, what I did on my summer vacation. The first day on my vacation, I woke up. Then, I went downtown to a find a job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore.
The second day on my summer vacation. I woke up, then I went downtown to look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore.
The third day on my summer vacation. I woke up. Then I went downtown to look for a job. Then I got a job, keeping people from hanging out in front of the drugstore." - Sister Mary Elephant sketch, Cheech and Chong

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

Recharger

So, I've decided it's finally time to update my progress on the 68.  (you happy, Brock?)  After 2 years worth of Saturdays, the occasional Sunday and the odd weekday (that my boss doesn't need to know about) my dad and I finally have the Charger done.  Or almost done.  OK, it'll never be done, but at least this stage of the resto is over...except for a few details.   ::) 

So I left off about a year and a half ago, let's see...where was I...

1.  Mounted the engine a few days after the last time I posted here, in November of 05
2.  Nickel & dimed the accesory parts and stuff all winter, had several mounted, along with the exhaust system by May of 06
3.  Fired up the engine for the first time in July of 06
4.  This is how it sits as of a few weeks ago.  I painted the air cleaner cover one day with some blue paint I had leftover in the gun, and hadn't intended to leave it blue, but It's kinda grown on me since then...I think I'll pass on the wrinkle paint for now...

Recharger

1.  The interior sat in primer for a few months, until I got the seam sealer down and painted on the Cool Car ceramic in May of 06.  It's basically the same thing as LizardSkin, but a few bucks cheaper.  They advertise it as sound deadening too, but I'd probably recommend dynamat or at least the factory syle underpads in addition to the coolcar.  It does work really well as a heat insulator though.

2.  Got the Carpeting down in July of 06. 

3.  Rear seat and side panels installed shortly thereafter

4.  And of course, the front seats.  Did all the seat recovering myself, with the help of my dad.  It really wasn't all that tough, although I realize it's not "perfect."  Close enough for my purposes though..

Recharger

1.  Painted the dash frame in August of 06

2.  Mounted it and got the wiring & ductwork sorted out by November.  The clock and speedo were repaired by PCG, I used their decal kit on the small gauges.

3.  Everything on the dash is original except for the upper pad, which is an ebay part that I dyed blue.  I redid the dash panels/bezels on my own for a few bucks worth of rattle can black and Alcad II chrome airbrush paint.  That's an 'incorrect' AM/FM radio that the original owner installed way back when.  I've been tempted to sell it,  but it's going to stay there for the foreseeable future. 

4.  Gratuitous shot of the underside of the dash.  No one's ever going to see it, so I thought I'd show off how clean it was at one point.

Recharger

1.  Mounted the steering wheel and finished the last of the steering column by March of 07.  I'll worry about fixing up the steering wheel later....

2.  Finally finished the interior earlier this month.

3.  Started tearing the grille down in January of this year.  Luckily there was only one broken tooth.

4.  Thanks to Terrible One for hooking me up with a donor toof to splice back in there. 

Recharger

1.  Had the grille fixed up and assembled by mid March.  I used 69 OUR/TEA's custom mix for the grille silver.  (Thanks again  :2thumbs:)  The color is great, and IMO it has a better contrast against the chrome trim than the argent silver, which is a bit lighter in color. 

2.  Stripped & repainted the grille frame in March, which is a major PITA without a sandblaster.  Turns out the same rig I used for dash frame works just as well for the grille frame too.

3.  Got the whole mess installed in late March.   

4.  Added the bumper a few days later and took the car for it's first ride in in 2 years on April 1st. 

Recharger

1.  So after the first short drive, I turned the car around in garage and got to work on the tail end.  The dust really piles up over time....

2.  Ended up repainting the whole tail end (long story), the brakelight housings, polished up the chrome trim &  mounted a new bumper.  It's a Goodmark repop and I'm not too happy with the fit of it, but I'll deal with that later.  Now if only I could find the right arrow emblem...

3.  Installed the new tail stripe in late April...

4.  And finally put on some new wheels & tires just last week.  I'll get to the exhaust tips eventually.

Recharger

And here's a few more recent shots.  (I think I might be going a bit overboard here  :P)    There's still some work to be done and some details to attend to, but for the most part the project is over.  Finally.  Now it's time for the  :drive: 

In the last pic, you can see all the original documentation that I have with the car:  the original window sticker, the build sheet, the owners manual & certicard, and even the customer care booklet which shows the records of all the service that was performed on the car for the first 2 years.  Stashed away somewhere else, I also have a copy of the original title showing just my name and the original owner as the only 2 owners of this car.  I'm not sure if it adds much value, since it's not an R/T and it's not 100% stock anymore, but it's still cool to have.

Thanks to everyone here for the help with questions and parts along the way.   :thumbs:

Lowprofile

The car looks awesome bro! Great Job! And just in time for those summer nite cruises!! :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Shakey

:iagree:

Looks fantastic and an excellent series of update posts.  You've really done a great job.   :thumbs:

Makes me want to scrap the family weekend plans and head out and work on mine.   :D

Cool.  :coolgleamA:

plum500

VERY nice work. That is one beautiful Charger. :2thumbs:

Brock Samson

Congrats Re!
I've been awaiting this/these updates,.. you know im a big fan of yours!

i dont like the wheels by the way..  :icon_smile_wink:

We'll talk..  :scratchchin:

miamivice

aone415

Car looks outstanding!  I do however, agree with Brock, I would've chose some different wheels but that's simply a personal preference...

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

Charger-Bodie

very cool car and nice work ...now go have some fun with it!!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

tommymac

Great looking Resto,I think I skipped a few stages!that I should have done,too much of a hurry to get done,after 20 years of sitting there,Ill get back to it THE GRILL. THE MOTOR Great Job...

chargermick

Really looks smokin!!! I wish I could do that kind of body work. Where in Chicago are you? I'm in Tinley Park, just south of the city. Maybe hit some shows together?

Recharger

Thanks guys!

Quote from: Lowprofile on June 01, 2007, 03:54:14 AM
The car looks awesome bro! Great Job! And just in time for those summer nite cruises!! :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:
That was the plan all along Lowpro...although I was originally aiming for last summer.   :icon_smile_blackeye:

Quote from: Brock Samson on June 01, 2007, 09:26:55 AM
i dont like the wheels by the way..  :icon_smile_wink:

We'll talk..  :scratchchin:
That really hurts, especially coming from a guy with tiger fur seat covers.  :icon_smile_wink:  haha, j/k...  Actually, I figured the wheels would get, well...mixed reviews, but I like 'em so screw it.  And they were cheap. :yesnod:  (ebay deal)  I personally just wanted to do something a bit different than the Mag500/TT2/steelie routine that you see on 90% of the Chargers out there.  To each his own....

Quote from: chargermick on June 01, 2007, 08:51:34 PM
Where in Chicago are you? I'm in Tinley Park, just south of the city. Maybe hit some shows together?
Sounds good to me.   :coolgleamA:  I'm in Brookfield, just a few miles up from you off of Rt 45.  I actually just got rained out of my first planned 'show' yesterday, a cruise night in Frankfort.  They do it every Thursday and yesterday was Mopar night, but the weather didn't cooperate.  It's a weekly event though, so I'll have to show up another time and irritate all the brand x guys.

And if anyone's interested, I've got a few more pictures posted here.  http://home.comcast.net/~68charger   I realize it's a crappy website, but it's all Comcast offers for 'free.' 

Charger1973

Dude that car is looking awesome.  I really like the "standard" 68s more than the RTs for some reason.  They just look better to me.  I really like what you did on the interior too.  The floors especially, im definately thinking of going the same route you did with my floors that stuff looks like it would work really well. 

chargermick

I usually go to the Frankfurt show every Thu. Last Thu. was a bummer. Can't go this week cause we'll be out of town, but I'll be looking for you from then on.

Brock Samson

what i dont like about the rims is the lack of depth, that plus they are so damn shiney they look like hubcaps...
and I'll have you know, it's a genuine tiger skin seat "cover"... singular...  :icon_smile_wink:
seriously though,.. i really admire the amount of work you did yourself... AWSOME!!!  :yesnod: