News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GREAT DAY IN MASSACHUSETTS. MET SOME REAL MASTERS OF THEIR TRADES

Started by mikepmcs, May 31, 2009, 06:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

Spent the day yesterday a little south of Boston.  Took a trip down there to hang out with Jeff B(jb66) and also to have a little touch up done on the Challenger. 
I started the day at Cochran's Auto Detailing http://cochranautodetailing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=32 (posted with owners permission) in North Weymouth to meet up with a PDR Technician that Jeff recommended(not officially part of Ben Cochran's operation but works out of there and is Cochran's go to man as well)
I arrived about 0930(early as my appointment was at 1000)  I was immediately greeted by Ben and he looked at my car and called Dan(PDR Tech) Dan stated he would be there soon, so I decided to take my car and wash it so Dan would have a clear look at the spots in question. Ben apologizes to me for being full up or he'd let me wash my car right there.  I thought that was an awesome gesture considering he'd known me for all of 1 minute at this point.  Fast forward to 1000.  Dan comes in and immediately... very personable greeting and you can just tell all around good guy(just good vibes)
We look at my car for a bit and he gets to work.  He spent 3 hours on the car from start to finish , the whole time talking with me, showing me how he does PDR.  I actually went for a walk at first because I figured I'd give him his space but he really doesn't need it.  He can work no problem with somebody standing right there(I wasn't over his shoulder but close by)  I've got to tell you, I was in complete AWE watching this master work.  I can tell you this, although I have no other experience with PDR except the extensive research I've done in the last month, he is an absolute MASTER at his craft.  He's an artist plain and simple and his work is nothing short of phenomenal.  I don't use these words lightly as I've had to settle for hack stuff my entire life(mostly my own fault)  I couldn't believe it as I'd actually met someone who really strives for perfection and takes pride in their work. :2thumbs:  No holes drilled, extreme care taken removing a door panel, tail lights, no scratches or dinged plastic, etc.....just a joy to watch work.  If you are in the Northeast and you need this type of work done, PM me or Jeff and we will get you in contact with him.    I asked his permission to post a little blurb and he agreed but I can tell he's not looking to get a line forming(he already has one I'm sure)  This part I can appreciate because when you do something you like you don't want to cheapen it by turning it into an assembly line.  He will make himself a available though...so like I said, let us know and we'll get you in contact with him..  I get it because I've stopped a couple hobbies for this exact reason.  They became more like jobs instead of fun.  So bottom line Dan is the best IMO and is a true artist/craftsman.  :2thumbs:

Now.....during this time I was also talking to Ben, the owner of the Detailing Shop about cars and products he uses, etc....Although a much shorter story, this is also an artist/master of the detailing world.  Really cares about what he's doing and the end result is the cars he puts out look better than new.  His prices are very reasonable and his knowledge is second to none.  I know a few things about car detailing myself, products etc, but his knowledge eclipses mine 10 fold.  Another professional that will not sacrifice quality for quantity.  He'd rather spend half a day making a car perfect over spitting them out.  You just don't find that sort of passion anymore(certainly not up here in Maine). 

Met up with Jeff about 2ish I guess and pulled back the final curtain on my day to reveal some of the best bodywork I've ever seen in my life. They might not think I saw as much as I did in the short time but I soaked it all in.  You want to talk about some gentlemen that should have their own TV show, well if that is any comparison to what's on TV, they should have their own Movie! I was there for over an hour just talking and walking around and listening and learning.  Another rare example of someone who absolutely loves what they are doing and it shows in the work that is produced.  Artwork is the only way to describe it.  Van gogh, Monet, whoever you can think of, add these Artists to the list.  Nothing short of amazing and the fit and finish on just what I saw was incredible(and i'm not just talking about Jeff's car either)
Although I only met one of the artists, it is apparent that the other 2 gentlemen are of the same mold.  Talk about personable, it was awesome and enjoyed every second I was there.  I could have hung out all day and actually hope to maybe go back another day just to hang out with them again.
Talk about hidden gems well..... I found 3 today!  By the way I don't want to forget Jon(remember the first shop Jeff went to)  another fine artist/fabricator but I didn't have a chance to see him yesterday but he needs to be included as well.
Jeff you are a lucky man to know these people. Being a good person yourself, I guess it wasn't too hard to meet up with them. 
My regards to some of the nicest people I've met in a very long time.  Almost wished I lived there. ;D

Very few pics but not short on a memorable day!  Thanks for putting up with my long post(had to be done) :cheers:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

jb666

First, let me say that I agree. Chuck SHOULD have a TV show. Imagine a hidden camera on him all day long??  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: He truly is a Jesse James of the fabrication (auto) world.  Between him and his partner there is NOTHING they can not do. It's awesome!!

Now Mike, let me tell you what an asset you are to this community/hobby. Your enthusiasm, knowledge and generosity is second to none. You truly are a class act and I'm proud to know you  :cheers: Thank you for taking a 3+ hour drive (each way) to see your "little pc of Hollywood"!! I'm glad you could see the car like it is now since you hadn't seen it (in person) since it was at Jon's shop. What a difference a few months can make, huh?!?!?

Anyways, I can't thank you enough for the parts you brought down.

And that car... WOW. Dodge hit a home run with the Challenger. That is one of (if not the) most gorgeous cars I think I've ever seen in person. The lines, the color, the paint, the details. Just WOW..  :cheers: :cheers:

When the car rolls out for the first time (done) I'd like to meet up one more time --- Dinner's on me  :cheers: :cheers: