News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why is it...

Started by jb666, May 22, 2009, 04:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

That there's so much generational bashing going on between "new" and "old" Charger owners??

Coming from the Corvette world, I dealt with it for years... The old "My C5 is superior to your C4" , and "My C4 is the last REAL Corvette ever built". I always thought it was a crock of crap and brushed it off as snobs with too much $$ and not enough time to talk about their golf game...

Then I came here and to the Charger Forum (when I got my "new" Charger) and can't believe some of the crap. Mine's better. No Mine's better. Real Charger's don't have 4 doors. 1st gen. 2nd gen. 3rd gen's are ugly. My mother punched your mother in the nose what color was the blood?

Ya know, I can understand a little bit of friendly ribbing, but to slam your own brothers (and sisters) is ridiculous.. I don't think my "old" Charger is better than anyone else's, nor do I think my "new" Charger is better than the old models. The "new" Charger is a Charger BY NAME ONLY. To me it's a comfortable car with some really nice power. If it's a "Grandma's car" because it's got 4 doors, so be it, but I know I'd be embarrassed if a 4-door car blew my doors off because I was ignorant of what it could do.

Anyways, not trying to start anything, just trying to understand. I already know y'all think the Vettes are plastic piles of junk, and so be it, but I still love my Z06. Do I discuss it here? Hell no, but can I take it out in street trim and run a low 11 and drive home on windy roads with no problem? All day long.  I left that community because of the generation bashing. It was crazy. Everyone's was better than everyone else's... They all have the same badge!!!

How about just enjoying your car and participating in the same hobby as your brother down the road?? We're all car enthusiasts  :cheers: :cheers:

BB1

Delete my profile

69*F5*SE

Can't we all just get along?  Peace brothers and sisters....peace.   :cheers:

FLG

Heres how it works for me. I wont "bash" new charger owners but i will give em a good ribbing  :2thumbs:

The thing i just do get is you see these new chargers with nice rims, nice paint, and a great audio system....then i look at the front fender and i see NOTHING!! Not even a "3.5 High Output" badge. Come on man, you spend all that money get a dang hemi  :2thumbs: LOL!!

If im driving my charger and i see a newer one, usually ill rev it up a bit for kicks.

I dont have a problem with em, but i don't like how Chrysler designed em. I have driven a Hemi Magnum and its a pretty quick car, really enjoyable so id imagine the chargers are probably more fun to drive.

Ribbing is OK, flat out bashing just aint cool.

jb666

Quote from: BB1 on May 22, 2009, 04:46:24 PM
Never hear of it.

Never, huh? Let me help out..

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,57431.0.html

And you can find a lot more like it.. That's just a good example that made me wonder why Charger owners feel the need to bash another "Charger"?

People will ask "Does that have a Hemi in it??". It does, by name, but it certainly isn't the HEMI of old-school days. Again, restoring a name for profit..

Yet, because it's got two doors, you can find threads where people dig the 80's "Charger" , which doesn't resemble the 60's/70's Chargers at all  :shruggy:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,56066.0.html

CB

Well, I think because what we put into our 1st, 2nd and 3th gen Chargers (money,time, sweat, tears, research, sometimes ripped off by a seller, fights with the misses, taking second morgage on the house, taking money out of the pension funds etc etc etc) we all know why we put our old cars before the newer ones.

You just have to put cash on the table and you can take off in a new HEMI Charger.

Just my  :Twocents:

CB

PS: I sat in a newer HEMI Charger, it's a cool car but it didn't remind me of an old Charger. It's just a different car...
It was cool in it's way, though!
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

jb666

Quote from: CB on May 22, 2009, 05:38:23 PM
Well, I think because what we put into our 1st, 2nd and 3th gen Chargers (money,time, sweat, tears, research, sometimes ripped off by a seller, fights with the misses, taking second morgage on the house, taking money out of the pension funds etc etc etc) we all know why we put our old cars before the newer ones.

You just have to put cash on the table and you can take off in a new HEMI Charger.

CB

PS: I sat in a newer HEMI Charger, it's a cool car but it didn't remind me of an old Charger. It's just a different car...

I totally agree. It's cool in a new car "wow is this comfortable" way. Until I drove one, I cursed them up and down. HATED THEM. Then I drove one and WOW, I couldn't believe how comfortable, how smooth and how (for a lack of better terms) user friendly the car was. I was hooked.

Do I think it's a retro '69 Hemi Charger? HELL NO, that's quite a funny joke. Is it a fun, comfortable powerful cruising "family" car?? Sure it is!!

tan top

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on May 22, 2009, 04:49:49 PM
Can't we all just get along?  Peace brothers and sisters....peace.   :cheers:

:yesnod: :iagree:  :cheers: :grouphug: 

but we all know 69s are the best  :nana:  .............. :P  just kidding guys   all awesome rides  :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

jb666

Just a quick off subject story.. I went to a car show, two seasons ago, in my freshly painted Vette. I pulled in (had my daughter with me) and into a spot. All of the guys were quite a bit older than me and were sitting around with their golf shorts, sun visor caps and polo shirts shooting the breeze about today's golf game, while sitting back comfortably in their collapsible "CORVETTE" chairs. You'd have thought I was the invisible man when walking near their cars.. They were there for the "wow, how cool am I?" factor. 

To me, that's not what this hobby is all about.. I don't care if you have a rotted out '72 Monte Carlo, it's still a cool car, and who am I to say your car's a toilet??

mikepmcs

hey Jeff, my car is a toilet. :lol:

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

jb666

Mike DC

The new Charger is a Daimler Benz luxury sedan with a Dodge Ram's motor in it. 

I don't hate it, but it's not really connected to the vintage Mopars in my mind. 

jb666

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 22, 2009, 06:27:46 PM

The new Charger is a Daimler Benz luxury sedan with a Dodge Ram's motor in it. 

I don't hate it, but it's not really connected to the vintage Mopars in my mind. 

And it's not in mine, either. And you're right, it's got a lot of Benz engineering/design behind it, which makes it a very comfortable ride.

As for it being "vintage", it's about as vintage as the '84 Camaro is to the '69 Z28. Worlds apart in every aspect. 

But, if I needed a comfortable ride, with some space/power and didn't NEED a truck (any more), I think it's a suitable ride for the job

One thing I'd like to do is retro-fit a set of new Charger Daytona seats in the '69  :lol:

Back N Black

Quote from: jb666 on May 22, 2009, 05:47:06 PM
Quote from: CB on May 22, 2009, 05:38:23 PM

CB

I totally agree. It's cool in a new car "wow is this comfortable" way. Until I drove one, I cursed them up and down. HATED THEM. Then I drove one and WOW, I couldn't believe how comfortable, how smooth and how (for a lack of better terms) user friendly the car was. I was hooked.

Do I think it's a retro '69 Hemi Charger? HELL NO, that's quite a funny joke. Is it a fun, comfortable powerful cruising "family" car?? Sure it is!!

I agree with you Jeff, the new Charger is not like the old Charger but still a cool car. It is not designed to capture the old muscle car guy from the 60's and 70's, it designed to captured today's generation. Here is kind of a funny story, i was at my in-laws awhile back and there was a young couple there talking about the cool charger the they had for their wedding day and were saving their money to buy one. That peaked my interest, so i jumped on the conversation and told them i had a charger. Their eyes lit up and they said really, i said yep a 69 charger, they looked at me kinda funny and said 69? i did not know they made chargers in 69, we were talking about a 2006 charger.I showed them a pic and they shrugged their shoulders and said that looks nothing like a charger. There you go.

Troy

You haven't seen anything yet. Go back to the days before there even was a "new" Charger and read the stuff written here and on the old site. We even had one particular Moderator who used to move all the new Charger threads to Off Topic (before he purchased one). ;)  Even though the newer models share the same name they certainly don't share the same fan base. I can't count the number of people I've met who don't realize that my '68 is an ancestor to their "Charger". Many don't even know it's the same brand. As you've experienced, it's not just Chargers but nearly every aspect of the car hobby.

What you'll find (primarily at shows) is that people who enjoy "classic" cars, while they don't mind newer cars, think that each has their own place. I sometimes get annoyed seeing new cars at cruise-ins and shows - especially when space is at a premium. I can go to Wal-Mart or Starbucks on any given day and see new Chargers and Mustangs but I'd give myself whiplash if I saw a 32 Coupe, chopped 49 Mercury, or any muscle car in my daily routine. So, same with the site. While many people don't have an opinion either way (and some are a bit too opinionated) it's just not the primary reason for visiting (or participating). I made the "Car Guy's Discussion" area so people who just love cars (like me) have a place to share about their other interests with like-minded individuals without having to go to a different forum. If we were all the same we'd be one boring group!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

BIRD67

JB brings up a valid point here, who are we to kid ourselves, we have all done it! This hobby is fueled by Ego, that's the way it always has been.. In my honest opinion, and I am a car nut, but I draw a fine line in the dirt, a car is a car, just like a tennis shoe is a tennis shoe.. People try and compare Apples to Oranges, what other similarities can you come up with other than what catagory they are in??
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign. -Number 6, The Prisoner

R.I.P. Matthew Fraser 4/30/10

skip68

It all comes down to personal taste.  Some guys like blonde women and some don't.   :scratchchin:   Some guys don't even like women right Jeff.   :nana:   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

jb666

Skip(or should I call you Chuckie?)... You will pay for that.

The rest of you guys are absolutely right about what you've said -- We are in a great hobby, aren't we?? Like I tell people all the time when they say things like "Why do you need 3-4 cars??". Hey, I could be hooked on Heroin or Crack and in/out of rehab with court costs adding up to more than my cars..

I consider myself lucky to be involved enough to even be in a conversation like this.  :cheers: :cheers:

NHCharger

Quote from: BIRD67 on May 22, 2009, 07:16:01 PM
This hobby is fueled by Ego, that's the way it always has been

I'd have to disagree with that statement. There certainly are some ass hats in the hobby who are full of themselves. Like the guy at the Walmart cruise night with every trophy he's ever won stuffed into the back seat of the car.

Many of us drive a car that brings us back to our high school days. Not sure if we are trying to relive our youth or just brings me back to a much simpler period in my life.

I love all the old muscle cars, just happen to love 3rd gens the most.

My beef with the new Charger is that Dodge used the namesake of the greatest car ever built and slapped it on a 4 door for marketing purposes.

Jeff, would you have purchased your new Charger if it was named Colt, Dynasty or Diplomat?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

jb666

Quote from: NHCharger on May 22, 2009, 08:08:58 PM
Quote from: BIRD67 on May 22, 2009, 07:16:01 PM
This hobby is fueled by Ego, that's the way it always has been

I'd have to disagree with that statement. There certainly are some ass hats in the hobby who are full of themselves. Like the guy at the Walmart cruise night with every trophy he's ever won stuffed into the back seat of the car.

Many of us drive a car that brings us back to our high school days. Not sure if we are trying to relive our youth or just brings me back to a much simpler period in my life.

I love all the old muscle cars, just happen to love 3rd gens the most.

My beef with the new Charger is that Dodge used the namesake of the greatest car ever built and slapped it on a 4 door for marketing purposes.

Jeff, would you have purchased your new Charger if it was named Colt, Dynasty or Diplomat?

Colt, no. Dynasty or Diplomat?? It depends , really.. But I see your point, the name packs the punch and drew me towards the car, initially. The thought of owning two Chargers on two different ends of the spectrum was really cool, too..

I remember when the Impala SS was re-introduced. The "classic" guys were pissed. It shared no similarities with the original SS's. I thought the thing was a big pig until I drove one  :o , it was a Hell of a car until the clown at the dealership totaled it on a test-drive (after an OIL CHANGE).  :brickwall: Would I have bought that if it was the new "Chevy Chevette"?? Probably not, no. But it had a really cool LT1 stuffed under the hood just as this has a 360HP 5.7 under the hood. Good enough to make it get out of it's own way very nicely and keep you VERY comfortable at the same time.

Sure , it's a 4-door car, and I've only owned two others (very modified SHO and the Impala SS), but it's the #1 out of the 3 I've owned, IMO.

Taken with the IPhone tonight

mikepmcs

Quote from: skip68 on May 22, 2009, 07:29:50 PM
Some guys like blonde women and some don't.   :scratchchin: 

Strictly Brunette guy right here so that statement is for real.

The new Chargers have really grown on me that's all I can say.  I see em cruisin around all the time now.  I even saw a Magnum today.  I'd drive that no problem....the stereo I could put in that thing would be insane!
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

Has the best tires on it, that's for sure. 

What's in the spray bottle?

jb666

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 22, 2009, 08:24:36 PM
Quote from: skip68 on May 22, 2009, 07:29:50 PM
Some guys like blonde women and some don't.   :scratchchin: 

Strictly Brunette guy right here so that statement is for real.

The new Chargers have really grown on me that's all I can say.  I see em cruisin around all the time now.  I even saw a Magnum today.  I'd drive that no problem....the stereo I could put in that thing would be insane!

My buddy, who does all of my custom audio/video work has a Magnum. It's got a show winning system inside that includes 9 screens, 12 amps, 14 subs and plenty more. You can FEEL this car from 50' away. It's amazing, and quite the platform to build in.

One thing I DO love the looks of on the 'new' Charger is the Shaker setup.. Very nice, and on my list of to-dos.

jb666

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 22, 2009, 08:26:51 PM
Has the best tires on it, that's for sure. 

What's in the spray bottle?

Spray wax. I use it to mist each panel (and the pad) before applying the polish. It makes it spread easier and helps conserve the amount of polish used. I've used it for years and buy it by the gallon from my supplier. I also mist the entire car after washing it, before I dry it. Adds a lot of depth.

mikepmcs

Quote from: jb666 on May 22, 2009, 08:29:16 PM

Spray wax. I use it to mist each panel (and the pad) before applying the polish. It makes it spread easier and helps conserve the amount of polish used. I've used it for years and buy it by the gallon from my supplier. I also mist the entire car after washing it, before I dry it. Adds a lot of depth.

Wow, what a great trick/tip.  I think I'll steal that method from you. :2thumbs:

I'm not in your buddy's league on the stereo deal.  I wouldn't be doing it for competition but I sure would like to see/hear that stereo. ;D