News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So,What is the MPG of a Prius at 80 MPH?

Started by Daytona R/T SE, May 19, 2009, 10:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

Quote from: PocketThunder on May 22, 2009, 10:05:07 AM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on May 22, 2009, 10:03:09 AM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 20, 2009, 09:18:53 AM
Frankly I would be surprised if ANY car produced their stated fuel economy all the time. Does it happen, yes, sometimes better. But the fact is that fuel economy is based upon driving conditions (both driver and environmental) and EPA economy numbers come from a standardized test. This is the old problem of theory vs practice. Ragging on a hybrid for economy because someone drives it at 80mph is like ragging on a Pickup when its used to get groceries. The economy sucks because its not being used at its optimum operational conditions or intended purpose.

Every new vehicle I have had was right on the money as far as the stated MPG with the exception of the 2007 Caliber. Its in town MPG rating is way off. It hits the highway MPG everytime. The 95 Ram,2000 Neon and 2003 Stratus were all on the money.

Todd

Do you drive 55 in a 55?  65 in a 65, etc... religiously?

Pretty much so. I dont speed and if I do its only a few miles over. Never more then 5mph over the posted limit. Usually 2-3mph over on the interstates. If its a 2 lane blacktop I stay on the speed limit.

In town I am always on the limit.

I have never had a speeding ticket in my driving career.

Todd

moparstuart

Quote from: Todd Wilson on May 22, 2009, 10:11:06 AM
Frankly I would be surprised if ANY car produced their stated fuel economy all the time. Does it happen, yes, sometimes better. But the fact is that fuel economy is based upon driving conditions (both driver and environmental) and EPA economy numbers come from a standardized test. This is the old problem of theory vs practice. Ragging on a hybrid for economy because someone drives it at 80mph is like ragging on a Pickup when its used to get groceries. The economy sucks because its not being used at its optimum operational conditions or intended purpose.

Every new vehicle I have had was right on the money as far as the stated MPG with the exception of the 2007 Caliber. Its in town MPG rating is way off. It hits the highway MPG everytime. The 95 Ram,2000 Neon and 2003 Stratus were all on the money.

Todd

Pretty much so. I dont speed and if I do its only a few miles over. Never more then 5mph over the posted limit. Usually 2-3mph over on the interstates. If its a 2 lane blacktop I stay on the speed limit.

Todd

thats no fun , your a goodie two-shoes
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Todd Wilson

Quote from: moparstuart on May 22, 2009, 10:35:09 AM
Quote from: Todd Wilson on May 22, 2009, 10:11:06 AM

Todd

Todd

thats no fun , your a goodie two-shoes

Yeah but I own 7 vehicles and dont want my insurance to go ape shit in cost! HEHE!   Its funny when I travel  people will blow by me on the interstate. We come up on a city or have to slow down and there they are. Ahead of me a little ways and thats it. I even see that in town here. Zipping in and out of traffic and there they are 2 cars ahead of me at the stop light.

9 out of 10 times that car will be no further down the road then I am yet they have wasted fuel,put their selfs at risk of a ticket and or a wreck from the fast/erratic driving.  And then they will piss and moan that their car doesnt get good MPG or wont hit the MPG rating on the sticker.

As far as the 2007 Caliber not hitting its in town milage I am not sure why. The sticker shows like 25 and its squeeking 18-19  but my wife drives it daily as its her car. And she drives like a wild woman going to shit.  It gets the highway mpg everytime but I do the highway/trip driving in it.

With all that being said  I do live in a small town. There is no freeway rat race commute. Most people here in town can be to work in 10 minutes or less.

Todd

68charger383

I have a 2005 corolla CE with a 5 speed. I saw the arguments about how my $12K corolla is better than the $26K prius since you would have to drive the prius 250K before the breakeven point for the cost difference. This argument was of course when gas was at $2.25 a gallon and before it went up to $4.50 a gallon :)

My corolla stated it got 41 MPG hwy on the sticker. The best I have gotten in the car is 36.8 MPG. However, I have never driven the car at 55 MPH or even 70 MPG for a tank of gas. So it could possibly get the 41 MPG if I did drive it at 55 MPH, but I won't so I'll never know. All I can tell you is at 75 MPH + the best you can do is 36.8  :yesnod:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Silver R/T

These cars are over-rated. When they came out, they were advertised at 50+mpg, now billboards says ...up to 46mpg...
I don't think it gets even that much. You have to remember those are lab tests not actual mpg you'll get when you drive one. They didn't include other important factors when calculating mpg on these ugly pos.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Silver R/T

Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 20, 2009, 04:09:53 PM
Quote from: Brock Samson on May 20, 2009, 02:35:18 PM
BTW: our gas prices went up over 20 cents a gallon in the last two weeks,.. and due to what I ask you?..
:scratchchin:

Memorial day weekend, many people will be traving. Very nice way to get few extra billions $$ by raising gas prices.

Ours went up 30 cents over that time. Isn't it obvious? Its summer and the oil companies need to make more profits...  :horse:

Part of me suspects that they are trying to get the $ per barrel to go up via speculation again. Reverse physiology, raise the price of the end product for no reason and investors will start to drive the crud price up!  :naughty: :sarcasmalert:
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Mike DC

The anomaly outside the long-term norm is the current low price since the economy tanked last fall. 

I'm sure everyone will act surprised & indignant when it comes back up again.  But it's obvious that right now is temporary price and the higher one is the normal figure we can count on. 

b5blue

THE FIX for speculator driving prices up is to force them to take delivery of what they bought! Have you noticed if we use more gas...the price goes up, if we use less gas...the price goes up! Anyway I've never seen a Prius go 80! (Anyone know what the word Prius is/means?)

Todd Wilson

Quote from: b5blue on May 23, 2009, 04:47:49 PM
THE FIX for speculator driving prices up is to force them to take delivery of what they bought! Have you noticed if we use more gas...the price goes up, if we use less gas...the price goes up! Anyway I've never seen a Prius go 80! (Anyone know what the word Prius is/means?)

That would take care of things in a hurry if they had to take delivery!

Todd

A383Wing

b5blue

Brock Samson

FYI:
since i posted that last time gas here went up an additional 16 cents... It's quite obvious here in San Fran we are being (not so gently) persuaded to give up our vehicles in favor of public transit,.. the politicians of course, are chauffeured driven in Lincoln limos and given a healthy stipend to cover their transportation costs...
There are more hybrids here every day, most recently Ive been seeing allot of the SUV and midsized sedan hybrids here, in Wacky Cally - it seems at a third of my stops behind vehicles they're hybrids, so if it's true that the rest of the USA follows the coasts (with us nutty wacky way-out there San Franciscans leading the way...   :shruggy: )
You will see allot of these hybrid vehicles - sooner then later...
I don't know if i mentioned this in an earlier thread, but i went to a kids car wash at a local progressive school recently and when i arrived there were half a dozen prie (  :shruggy: ) in line being washed at this high society progressive school. so anyhow, they were all one of three colors,.. white, black or a gunmetal gray and all had the same free carpool lane stickers on their lower rear quarters, (all hi-mileage economy cars are given these free pass stickers on their flanks which has only helped to increase their popularity) - anyhow,.. at the end of the wash line,  after their interiors had been entirely cleaned and detailed the owners couldn't figure out who's car was who's,..  :shruggy:  :slap:  :smilielol: it was really funny cause they didn't know their lic. #s and had to pull out their registrations to check...
my charger sure made a splash in that crowd..  all the kids wanted to wash it but couldn't reach above the fender and finally the parents had to take over... They did a really horrible job using laundry soap and dirty towels and of course, I had to do it all over again to my standards incl. another waxing to replace the wax the Tide had removed,..
but I wanted to support the school and it's kids and overall I had a great day fending off the cougars who really loved my car...  :D

And er, another related thing (rant) I've noticed is...
  Our most beloved Governor - Uncle Arnie?..  the Terminator?.. used to make such a big show about driving an H1 Hummer everywhere,.. remember when he had the first one delivered etc... well now,.. he's gone and backed all these clean air and hi-mileage inituatives here in Calif... just like he reveresed all his talk about the kids first when he was running for office, anyone remember his campaign promises to increase all public school funding and hire more teachers?.. anyone?.. Buller?..  :shruggy: welp, in case you didn't know the first thing he did when he actually got elected was to slash the school budgets even further... & just FYI: He's cutting them again this year - the fourth year in a row..

Brock Samson

a few mopars were in attendance..  :shruggy:

chargerboy69

Quote from: Brock Samson on May 25, 2009, 11:52:32 AM
FYI:
since i posted that last time gas here went up an additional 16 cents... It's quite obvious here in San Fran we are being (not so gently) persuaded to give up our vehicles in favor of public transit,..

Strat, I believe that will be happening everywhere. 

Right around Christmas we were paying $1.29 a gallon.  Today it is $2.46 a gallon.  As the current administration has said on high gas prices "the problem is not how high that gas prices have risen, but that they went up too fast. 'I think that I would have preferred a gradual adjustment".  It can be quite difficult to force us to purchase these econo-green shit boxes when gas is $1.29 a gallon.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Daytona R/T SE

Ok, Back to the original intent of this post...If these Priouses Do NOT get optimum mileage at 80 mph, but the owners (at least around here, anyway) Consistently drive them at high speeds, then it seems to me they are not using them as intended to save fuel (and hence the planet ...cough cough -- group tree hug -- cough cough) So they MUST be buying them as status symbols-- You know, the whole "I care more about mother earth than you do" "thing"

Kinda like buying a 600 HP Viper to deliver pizzas in town ... 30 mph and you never get out of first gear, but man you LOOK cool. :slap:

Ghoste

I know someone who has a pair of high powered sports cars but cuts his lawn with one of those reel type mowers because "it doesn't pollute the air like your gas powered one".  Saving the planet and looking cool for the ladies, how perfect is that?  Still, I wonder how his tune would be if he didn't have a postage stamp sized yard? :scratchchin:

b5blue

REAL Greeners don't even have lawns! They Zeroscape with with weeds/wild flowers/scrub bushes and such! I wonder how much carbon emission a car that lasts for 40-50 years saves buy not having been replaced 5 times?  :scratchchin: Did we confirm a Prius will run 80mph? If so what was the mileage?

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on May 25, 2009, 05:03:41 PM
Kinda like buying a 600 HP Viper to deliver pizzas in town ... 30 mph and you never get out of first gear, but man you LOOK cool. :slap:

Yea, but remember, image IS everything!  :eyes:

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Ghoste

Madison Ave proves that out everyday, whether you want to be the cool looking pizza delivery guy or the eco-minded presidential wannabe (remember Gore getting out of his SUV a few blocks away from lecture sites so he could drive up in a Prius when he was promoting his fictional novel?), it's the image that sells.

Mike DC

Troy

Quote from: b5blue on May 26, 2009, 06:32:20 AM
Did we confirm a Prius will run 80mph? If so what was the mileage?
Why wouldn't it do 80? Yes, I've been in one at those speeds but have no clue what the sustained mpg is. It's not good (well, not nearly as good as people think/expect) - that much I know for sure.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.