News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New cafe standards -- will 35 MPG kill the auto industry??

Started by jamie1974, May 19, 2009, 06:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sublime69

Quote from: 694spdRT on July 27, 2009, 01:22:43 PM
Quote from: Sublime69 on July 27, 2009, 12:10:18 PM
Quote from: 694spdRT on July 27, 2009, 08:55:49 AM
Quote from: Sublime69 on July 23, 2009, 05:01:22 PM
I'm not disagreeing with the info you showed us, but that's complete BS congress wants to do it that way

It's the manufacturer's fault if they don't sell????

This is how I figured "fleet" fuel economy in my own terms:

Lets make it simple, Chrysler sells 5 different models:

1) Ram @ 20 mpg
2) Charger @ 25 mpg
3) Challenger @25 mpg
4) Caliber @ 35 mpg
5) Some Hybrid @ 70 mpg

Therefore, the average fleet fuel economy would be:

20(Ram)+25(Charger)+25(Challenger)+35(Caliber)+70(Some Hybrid) divided by the total number of model choices(5 vehicles total)

=> 175 combined mpg / 5 models = 35 mpg FLEET AVERAGE.

What the hell is wrong with congress when they figure fleet average based off sales that haven't been made yet? Counting chickens before they hatch huh? Leave the sales part up to the consumer congress, the way I see it Chrysler did their part in this scenerio.
:Twocents:

CAFE has been around for a long time so this is nothing new but they are raising the requirements now which is what the thread is about. They will never just use the average like you mentioned and ignore production run of each model. They are looking at the entire fleet for fuel economy. In your senario they could make one hybrid and 1,000,000 SUV's or 1,000,000 hybrids and one SUV and the average would be the same. The law it is broken up into different categories for cars and trucks but I don't know if it the average is based off an initial estimate provided by the manufacturer prior to the years production run or if it is calculated at the end of each model year production run. If the manufacturer goes over they can pay a penalty or bank it against the nexts years production run. From reading the info it seems some manufacturers just pay the penalty instead of trying to meet the requirements.

From what I read with the law it is up to the manufacturer to sell what they produce. If they make to many vehicles it really is not the fault of the government for including them in the fleet average.

Ok, but why should they produce these cars BEFORE they have a demand for them and then be punished for not selling them?

The scenario of 1 hybrid to 100000000 other cars isn't going to happen. People will buy what they want as this is still a free country. If the people so choose to only buy 1 hybrid out of 250 million people, then obviously we don't need CAFE's regulations and we can manage our own free selves.

I thought you wanted to know how CAFE was figured not the politics behind it. The public demand for types of cars has a lot to do with the price of fuel too. Last year at $4-5 per gallon people were constantly talking about it because it hurt a lot more at the pumps. I figure that if the government really wants to get us out of bigger cars and into econo boxes add on a fuel or carbon tax and "most" will have non choice but fall in line. It probably will happen sooner or later.

I did want to know that, I'm not argueing with you or the facts, just can't believe how much control the govt wants on what we build by desginating how many they build.

What happend to the free market where supply was created by the demand for that product?
1969 Charger 440
1968 Satellite 318 Future Road Runner Clone
1989 Diplomat Ex-Cop Car Winter Beater
1985 Chevy C-10 400 SB Winter Project
2004 Honda Civic Daily Driver

694spdRT

Quote from: Sublime69 on July 27, 2009, 02:06:53 PM
I'm not disagreeing with the info you showed us, but that's complete BS congress wants to do it that way

1) Ram @ 20 mpg
2) Charger @ 25 mpg
3) Challenger @25 mpg
4) Caliber @ 35 mpg
5) Some Hybrid @ 70 mpg

20(Ram)+25(Charger)+25(Challenger)+35(Caliber)+70(Some Hybrid) divided by the total number of model choices(5 vehicles total)

What the hell is wrong with congress when they figure fleet average based off sales that haven't been made yet? Counting chickens before they hatch huh? Leave the sales part up to the consumer congress, the way I see it Chrysler did their part in this scenerio.

CAFE has been around for a long time so this is nothing new but they are raising the requirements now which is what the thread is about. They will never just use the average like you mentioned and ignore production run of each model. They are looking at the entire fleet for fuel economy. In your senario they could make one hybrid and 1,000,000 SUV's or 1,000,000 hybrids and one SUV and the average would be the same. The law it is broken up into different categories for cars and trucks but I don't know if it the average is based off an initial estimate provided by the manufacturer prior to the years production run or if it is calculated at the end of each model year production run. If the manufacturer goes over they can pay a penalty or bank it against the nexts years production run. From reading the info it seems some manufacturers just pay the penalty instead of trying to meet the requirements.

From what I read with the law it is up to the manufacturer to sell what they produce. If they make to many vehicles it really is not the fault of the government for including them in the fleet average.

Ok, but why should they produce these cars BEFORE they have a demand for them and then be punished for not selling them?

The scenario of 1 hybrid to 100000000 other cars isn't going to happen. People will buy what they want as this is still a free country. If the people so choose to only buy 1 hybrid out of 250 million people, then obviously we don't need CAFE's regulations and we can manage our own free selves.

I thought you wanted to know how CAFE was figured not the politics behind it. The public demand for types of cars has a lot to do with the price of fuel too. Last year at $4-5 per gallon people were constantly talking about it because it hurt a lot more at the pumps. I figure that if the government really wants to get us out of bigger cars and into econo boxes add on a fuel or carbon tax and "most" will have non choice but fall in line. It probably will happen sooner or later.

I diod want to know what, I'm not argueing with you or the facts, just can't believe how much control the govt wants on what we build by desginating how many they build.

What happend to the free market where supply was created by the demand for that product?

The free market as we knew it went up in smoke last year with all the bailouts, stimulus bills, or whatever they are calling it now.

The enviromental "green" movement, whether we agree or not, will trump a lot of stuff in the future. It is supposed to be for the good of all so it is easier to push through. Don't worry though, at the heart of it, some will be making a lot of money with it. Love it or hate it, that is what drives our society.  
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Arthu®

Quote from: Sublime69 on July 27, 2009, 02:06:53 PM

1) Ram @ 20 mpg
2) Charger @ 25 mpg
3) Challenger @25 mpg
4) Caliber @ 35 mpg
5) Some Hybrid @ 70 mpg

I did want to know that, I'm not argueing with you or the facts, just can't believe how much control the govt wants on what we build by desginating how many they build.

I know that you hate all those europeans acting liking americans and buying all your great cars, but you could just read my post. There was no such thing as the free auto industry to begin with as the market conditions (such as the fuel price) have been extremely influenced. So if you effect one thing than you will never have a correct balance unless you correct the other side (in this case the car manufacturers) as well. It is basic economics...

Also as much as you like to believe you are free, you really aren't. And you haven't been ever since governments were created. As soon as people ask for a regulatory body you give up some (or a lot depending on the type of government) of that freedom, that's the price  you have to pay.

Arthur
Striving for world domination since 1986

68charger383

Here's the second nail in the auto industry coffin.

New study shows that when they allowed the states to raise the speed limit above 55 MPH, they had an additional 12,500 deaths. They originally lowered the speed limits in 1975 to save gas. Could be a good time for them to try that again.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090728/hl_nm/us_speed_limit

:stirthepot:
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Mike DC

With the traffic we've got these days, there aren't many cars going over 55mph as it is.