News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440source roller rockers

Started by 66monaco, May 19, 2009, 02:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66monaco

do anybody know (ron?) is those any good? I'm thinking of buying them...and wich ratio I should use 1.5 or 1.6....? it's that 383 with 10.5 pistons, mopar 292 cam with hydraulic lifters...what i'm thinking is that quess rollers not bad choice, since my 383 do rev...right?
M ore
O utstanding
P ower
A nd
R eliability

firefighter3931

Quote from: 66monaco on May 19, 2009, 02:05:11 PM
do anybody know (ron?) is those any good? I'm thinking of buying them...and wich ratio I should use 1.5 or 1.6....? it's that 383 with 10.5 pistons, mopar 292 cam with hydraulic lifters...what i'm thinking is that quess rollers not bad choice, since my 383 do rev...right?

I would avoid any roller rocker made in China....there have been lots of reported failures with the 440 source rockers. With a hydraulic cam that has a modest ramp speed like yours....you can get away with a 1.6 rocker but you will be rpm limited to 6000 rpm (lifter collapse). The fast rate stuff like the Engle and Comp XEHL .904 lifter profiles should allways use a 1.5 rocker with a hydraulic lifter to maintain valvetrain stability in the upper rpm range.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

66monaco

god damn! I don't have to worry about rollers or anything  amore for a while...I wreck my 383 today! :( did a little spin, and it just stop!!! bearrings or something.. gonna tow it tomorrow to garage...shit drunk right now...:RantExplode: :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :eek2: :icon_smile_blackeye:
M ore
O utstanding
P ower
A nd
R eliability

mally69

:o Sorry to hear that man, keep us updated.  Oh and i had a set of 440 source rockers. dont buy them they costed me my engine  :Twocents:

firefighter3931

Quote from: 66monaco on May 20, 2009, 07:47:22 PM
god damn! I don't have to worry about rollers or anything  amore for a while...I wreck my 383 today! :( did a little spin, and it just stop!!! bearrings or something.. gonna tow it tomorrow to garage...shit drunk right now...fuck... :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :eek2: :icon_smile_blackeye:

Aw Crap...that sucks !  :flame:

Hope it's not too bad....cranks can be turned and fitted with new bearings.  :pity:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

66monaco

yeah it does! :icon_smile_dissapprove: well atleast I got to drive it 2 weeks!  :cheers: today we towed it back to garage and I disambled the engine so that next time I just lift to engine out...it's interesting to see what broke down...

I have a little plan, if its bad, I don't drive it any more this summer and I take my Monaco out...if its easy damage I'll do it fast.  if its bad, I'm thinkin' of stroking it......is those 440source stroke kits worth it?? there are 2 kits for 383, 438 or 496...If i stroke it wich one should I use..I want to keep all the other parts specially that 750 proform...750 is quess little small for 496 kit? ron??
M ore
O utstanding
P ower
A nd
R eliability

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 66monaco on May 21, 2009, 02:44:35 PM
yeah it does! :icon_smile_dissapprove: well atleast I got to drive it 2 weeks!  :cheers: today we towed it back to garage and I disambled the engine so that next time I just lift to engine out...it's interesting to see what broke down...

I have a little plan, if its bad, I don't drive it any more this summer and I take my Monaco out...if its easy damage I'll do it fast.  if its bad, I'm thinkin' of stroking it......is those 440source stroke kits worth it?? there are 2 kits for 383, 438 or 496...If i stroke it wich one should I use..I want to keep all the other parts specially that 750 proform...750 is quess little small for 496 kit? ron??

I wound up getting a 400 block for $50.00 and bought a 440Source 500 stroker kit.  Could of went up to a 512, but thought a 500 was good enough.  I went a little overboard, but can't wait to test it out :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

firefighter3931

Quote from: 66monaco on May 21, 2009, 02:44:35 PM
I'm thinkin' of stroking it......is those 440source stroke kits worth it?? there are 2 kits for 383, 438 or 496...If i stroke it wich one should I use..I want to keep all the other parts specially that 750 proform...750 is quess little small for 496 kit? ron??

If you're wanting to keep your heads, cam, PF750 carb etc....the 438 rotating assembly would be the best choice. A 496 needs big flowing heads, big cam and big carb to really work well.  :yesnod:

Ron

66monaco

M ore
O utstanding
P ower
A nd
R eliability

66monaco

number 2 cylinder rod bearning got hurt! all busted! and crank too :(  and little scratch in the middle crank bearing... now engine to machinery shop and ordering stroke kit ;) this sucks! but atleast I have another car to cruise with! allthough I have to change head gaskets and alternator first to my Monaco :D
M ore
O utstanding
P ower
A nd
R eliability

Ghoste

That just bites.  Were they able to give you any indication of what caused the failure?

66monaco

I haven't taken it to shop yet, but i quess its just too much rev....engine was build about 8 years ago and I know previous owner drove it it atleast hard as i did   :icon_smile_blackeye:  :smilielol:
M ore
O utstanding
P ower
A nd
R eliability

firefighter3931

Quote from: 66monaco on May 26, 2009, 10:24:39 AM
I haven't taken it to shop yet, but i quess its just too much rev....engine was build about 8 years ago and I know previous owner drove it it atleast hard as i did   :icon_smile_blackeye:  :smilielol:

More than likely it's an oil delivery (starvation) problem that caused the bearing to pile up. Make sure you install a descent oilpan with baffles and a windage tray when you rebuild it.  :Twocents:

I like the Hemi reproduction pan that holds 6qts + filter for any hot street motor that will be abused from time to time.  ;)

Ron

66monaco

well yes, that might have been the reason too, it has original oil pan with windage trey...and now I have used valvoline racing 20w-50 oil....should i go thiner oil? 10w-30? so that oil moves faster down????
M ore
O utstanding
P ower
A nd
R eliability

firefighter3931

Quote from: 66monaco on May 27, 2009, 03:29:46 PM
well yes, that might have been the reason too, it has original oil pan with windage trey...and now I have used valvoline racing 20w-50 oil....should i go thiner oil? 10w-30? so that oil moves faster down????

Once the engine is at operating temp the oil drains back very quickly.....i would stick with the 20/50 oil and use an oilpan with more capicty. The Hemi pan also has descent baffles to keep oil in the sump during hard acceleration/deceleration which in turn keeps the pickup submeged in oil.  :2thumbs:

Ron

66monaco

hello all again for a long time! I have not had inspiration at all to do the chargers mill at all !  :eek2: one of the reasons is budget haven't been that good..well now the pistons and rods are in the shop. they are just gonna straighten rods and crank.. so its gonna be the same engine as before.
but I'm still thingking of buying somekinda roller rockers... is it worth it? ron? or shoud I just stick to a stock ones? can you guys suggest me something? with affordable price tag ;) :D and what do you think about oil pump, should I buy just new basic one or some kinda hi perf model?
oh and I have to change the rear ends axles... and i want axles that are good ones, I have 8 3/4, 3.55 with yukon "race" sure-grip.... any ideas?
thanks again!
M ore
O utstanding
P ower
A nd
R eliability

firefighter3931

If you're tearing into the engine then my advice would be to replace all the bearings and possibly the rings as well and hone the cylinder walls. Have the rods reconditioned and new ARP rod bolts installed while you're at it.  :yesnod:

For a hydraulic cam the factory rockers are fine....roller rockers won't make any more power. Maybe install some new HD factory style rocker arms if yours are showing signs of wear/fatigue. Mancini sells the HD stock replacements for ~$75 so they're not expensive to replace.  ;)

Yukon makes a heavy duty replacement axle for the 83/4 but you probably don't need it with a 383. Pull the axles and inspect the splined ends. If there is any twist in the splines then it's time to replace. If not...reinstall the stock axles and off you go.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

66monaco

ok, thanks again ron! yes I'm going to replace all bearing and get cylinder honed etc! but good thing you said about arp rod bolts! didn't think of those! and I gonna balance the rods and crank too.. what about that oil pump?? aquess stock model pump if fine with this 374rwhp 383 of mine?
M ore
O utstanding
P ower
A nd
R eliability

firefighter3931

With the rebuilt shortblock (rings, bearings, balancing, rod bolts) you might as well go with a new oilpump. I like the melling hv63 pump with the Hemi replacement pan/pickup along with a windage tray. This makes for a nice street/strip oiling system....and the pan doesn't hang below the k-frame.

Mancini has a deal on the hemi pan/pickup (MRE-884K) :  Make sure to order the 3/8 pickup   

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mancini1.html

Ron

66monaco

M ore
O utstanding
P ower
A nd
R eliability

66monaco

spring is here! I had my 383 machined and I got it out from balancing today! and i went straight to the garage and start build up! crank and cam installed! in crank there was about 0.7oz offbalance...should run smoothly now :) the block was honed , new cam bearings installed and they made new threat to hemi 1/2" pickup! which is the one I bought. my friend welded more volume to the oil pan  (made it like the hemi version, there should be around 6-7qt capasity now)( mancini didn't answer and in local "speed shop" someone else had recerved the one hemi oilpan they had ordered from mopar)  oil pum hole,in the block, made bigger, also the crank oil holes. and I bought that mellings hv63 pump.! crank was little twisted so they straightened it and they fixed/honed that 2 cylinder damage.
I have all the parts now so on its just building..well I was thinking of buying electric fan with thermostat control...but that can be done when the mill is installed so now just putting the engine back together!!
gonna take it dyno ones more..hoping to get around 380-390 rwhp now, when the timing is correct and engines freshly build and balanced..! ;)
M ore
O utstanding
P ower
A nd
R eliability

Khyron

congrats, now remember, don't by and parts from 440 source and you'll be fine :)

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

66monaco

nope, its gonna be with stock rockers for now :)  and no, not going to buy 440 source rockers :)
M ore
O utstanding
P ower
A nd
R eliability

Khyron

cool, and just because of the countless threads.... don't get any 440 source anything...

bad water pumps
bad roskers
heads have to be redone when bought new
bad timing chain covers due to restrictive water passage

i could go on and on.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

66monaco

M ore
O utstanding
P ower
A nd