News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering wheel problem

Started by Lee A, May 18, 2009, 02:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee A

I just put in a the steering column for a floor shifter and then wanted to go with my old steering wheel it is a oak rim wheel with the chrome spokes it is a grant 500 anyways when I hooked up the horn it stayed on really annoying sound and when I touch the signal lever it honks what did I do wrong and the damn instructions did not trouble shoot for the steering wheel adopter anyone help please :brickwall:
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

b5blue

We can assume everything worked before this? First thing I'd do is put the old stuff back on and see what happens. Wile your in there check the upper column bearing and its mounting, the turn signal switch (since the horn wiring feeds up from it) and check how stuff lines up to the new wheel mounting. When you put the column in did you adjust it per the FSM?

Lee A

No I got it the steering column rebuilt all new wiring I think it is the copper tab that pushes up and down maybe I will try cutting that wire and feed it up through the adoptor
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

Lee A

How do you get a steering wheel adaptor off with out breaking it and don't say gear puller will not fit in there :brickwall:I am ready to take a hammer to the damn car it has been one sh9tty weekend for working on crap
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

maxwellwedge

OK - I won't say it.  ;)

maxwellwedge

Lee A

It is a 68 Charger just put in a floor steering column rebuilt and forgot to rewire horn now i have to get it off to splice horn wire to cap column out of a 69 coronet i tried prying with two flat screw drivers but don't want to break plastic
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383

maxwellwedge

Plastic? Is it an aftermarket wheel and hub?

Lee A

yes it is a grant 500 I tried a conventional puller and won't work no room
1968 Dodge Charger 440
1969 Dodge Charger 383