News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any Jeep Liberty Owners?

Started by 69CoronetRT, May 18, 2009, 08:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69CoronetRT

My wife and I looked at an '06 Liberty tonight. Any Liberty owners want to chime in on good points, bad points or comments on relability?

Thanks in advance.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

TheGhost

My dad's owned 2, and loved them both.  First was an 02 4x4, with the V6.  The only reason he got rid of it was to get an 04 Liberty 4x4 with the diesel engine.  I've driven both a few times, and been a passenger many times, including 2 trips halfway across the country.  They can turn on a dime with their short wheelbase, have plenty of pep, and ride pretty well.  I think the V6 got around 20 mpg in town, but it's been a few years since he had it, so I'm not sure.  Never tried towing with the V6, but the diesel has pulled a few trailers.  Being a fellow Midwest guy, you'll be happy to know they handle our winter weather with ease.

Neither Liberty has had any problems, but again, he only had the 02 for 2 years.  I'd say the diesel version is better, but as far as I know, they only made those for 2 years, and they didn't sell very well, so I'd imagine they aren't easy to find.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

mopar0166

i bought an 05 for my wife, and its been very relaible.  it gets a bit small on big trips as far a comfort room in the drivers seat.  since im tall thier not alot movement room in that jeep but the wife loves it as her daily driver. gas milage isnt too bad ether   :cheers:

mikesbbody

Never owned a Liberty but we hired one back in 06 when we came to the states. Dont know too much about it other than it was a 3.7 v6 2006. We put alot of miles on it drove it across the country (and back) over 8000 miles in 4 weeks and it never missed a beat. I think they are great and would love to own one  :Twocents:

Todd Wilson

The railroad has many of them for our managers to drive around. They see hundreds of miles everyday  and are sometimes driven in some pretty bad conditions along the right of ways. They all have held up very good.  They are comfortable for 4 people to ride but they do get small if you have a lot of other stuff to haul as their back end doesnt hold much.

Todd

KS71owner

I rented one back in '06 when I flew out for my 10th reunion. It was a silver V6, drove great and was quite comfortable.  :2thumbs: from me.

runningman

My parents have had one pretty much since they came out...although that may be because I work at the 3.7 plant  :icon_smile_big:  They have been really happy with it, I think they are on their third (lease).  They tow it behind their motorhome all over the country..

chargerjy9

while that version of the Liberty was decent, the new 09 is a huge improvement in every way, with the exception of the powertrain, which is the same.  with all the deals and rebates out there, for a few dollars more, you may be able to move into a new one.
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

Todd Wilson

Quote from: TheGhost on May 19, 2009, 12:00:07 AM
My dad's owned 2, and loved them both.  First was an 02 4x4, with the V6.  The only reason he got rid of it was to get an 04 Liberty 4x4 with the diesel engine.  I've driven both a few times, and been a passenger many times, including 2 trips halfway across the country.  They can turn on a dime with their short wheelbase, have plenty of pep, and ride pretty well.  I think the V6 got around 20 mpg in town, but it's been a few years since he had it, so I'm not sure.  Never tried towing with the V6, but the diesel has pulled a few trailers.  Being a fellow Midwest guy, you'll be happy to know they handle our winter weather with ease.

Neither Liberty has had any problems, but again, he only had the 02 for 2 years.  I'd say the diesel version is better, but as far as I know, they only made those for 2 years, and they didn't sell very well, so I'd imagine they aren't easy to find.

Whats the diesel version getting in the way of MPG?  I really wanted to get a diesel liberty when they were out but the timing wasnt right for the finances.

Todd

SnoPro440

My uncle has an 02 or 03 and he's got around 185000 on it.  Still has the original motor/trans.  He is pretty fanatical when it comes to maintenance, so that has probably helped.  It still rides nice too.
2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

71charger_fan

Had an '02 and an '06; loved them both. The only problem we had was a plugged sunroof drain in the '06. The governor cutting the fuel supply at 106mph was a PITA here on Egypt's open desert highways, but I would never have bumped against it in the U.S. Over on Jeepforum.com, some owners swear theirs didn't have a governor.

TheGhost

Quote from: Todd Wilson on May 22, 2009, 10:00:30 AM
Quote from: TheGhost on May 19, 2009, 12:00:07 AM

Whats the diesel version getting in the way of MPG?  I really wanted to get a diesel liberty when they were out but the timing wasnt right for the finances.

Todd

20 mpg in town, 25 highway, I believe.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

bigred68

My wife drives an '02 Liberty 40 miles one way to and from work every day and loves that thing! Its got 120,000 miles, runs like a top and has never given us a single problem. I am also a fanatic about maintance as well and I do think this has helped. I change the Castrol Syntech every 4 to 5 thousand miles and I've changed the tranny oil twice. Its starting to rust out alittle behind the rear doors in the wheel wells and the aluminium "clear coat" finish on the wheels hasn't held up the best, but all in all its been a great car. I will say that the odd ball power window switches mounted in the center of the vehicle near the arm rest instead of on the doors is totally bizzare and takes some getting used too! I also oil spray our cars every fall and I know this helps in the corrosion dept.!
:cheers: