News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A question for anyone here who's used a stencil kit before.

Started by jb666, June 20, 2009, 08:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Tell me something, from experience.

If you were using a stencil kit to do a multi-layer graphics job on a vehicle, would you use:

1. Vinyl that had a release paper on the back, allowing a strong bond between the vinyl and the surface of the vehicle being painted

or

2. Vinyl that was "re-positional" and has no adhesive keeping it down?

:popcrn:

c00nhunterjoe

hemi-hampton

From my expereiance anything with a strong bond adhesive is a one time use only while the reposition can be reused over & over. I haven't used alot of stencils but most I've made myself using Friskett paper & hold good but very thin & one time use. LEON.

jb666

Well that's just it (I was very vague before).

After you've used a stencil kit once it's got layer(s) of paint on it, making it brittle, etc...

Here's my deal. We tested this out on a 100% prepped surface. A "star" was stuck down. Within 20 minutes , we went back and one of the corners had begun to lift.

The vinyl I'm referring to here being "repositionable" has the bond of one of those window/wall stickers you'd put in your child's room. 

Can you imagine spraying your final coat on, stencils in place, and corners begin to lift??  I can't..

And in this case, especially, a "one-time use" is perfect, because the demand for this type of stencil kit is 0.... So, with the thought of "re-using" a kit aside, my original question is would you want to use :

Vinyl #1 - Release paper backer (one time use) but you can be assured it'll stay down the entire time you're painting

Vinyl #2 - "repositional" vinyl that will not stick to the surface

hemi-hampton

Go for whats behind door#1 :rofl: :scratchchin:. I guess if your BK or HPLG & mass produce garbage you would want #2? LEON.