News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quarter Glass Adjustment w/ Power Windows

Started by gasoline_24, May 17, 2009, 02:00:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasoline_24

Has anyone installed the AMD Quarter glass?  I spent all afternoon trying to get mine to fit, but the window will not close all the way no matter how I adjust it.  I finally checked it against the original and the curve is too much and the glass is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch more than the original.  I am going to call them to see if I got a bad batch.  I think I may just return them and polish the originals.  Let me know if anybody has had any similar problems.

Mike DC

Hmm . . . strange.  I wouldn't have expected it. 

There's not much room for ill-fitting glass in this hobby.  It's not like a sheemetal part, either it fits or it doesn't.  Nobody is just gonna "make it fit" if they try to sell thousands of bad ones. 

gasoline_24

Well I am wrong on the glass.  It is different in the curve and somewhat on the height, but after taking out the new and trying the old glass I am having the same problem.  I am going to try and locate some  info on this.  The problem is that when I put the window all the way up to where it is tight against the roof rail seal there is about a 1"-2" gap betweeen the door window and the quarter window.  I have moved everything as far forward as I can, but nothing.  If anyone has an answer to this let me know.  I am now understanding why the body guy billed me so much for this.

UFO

This may sound silly but is the door glass trim on?
The stainless piece at the rear with the felt w/strip.

maxwellwedge

I can tell you from my experiences  - there is a lot of crap fitting and looking repop glass out there. Having said that, I am not saying your piece is junk, you may be missing an adjustment somewhere....but you did say the repop is different from your original.

gasoline_24

Yes the stainless trim is on there.  When the window makes contact with the roof rail seal the bracket it rides on is not all the way to the top.  I had to walk away from it before I lost my cool.  The glass is not an exact match, but when I put the original in it is the same issue.

Rolling_Thunder

New roof seals ?   The new seals can be a pain to try and get the window to roll up correctly sometimes...    The glass moves up and forward at the last minute...    try adjusting the glass DOWN a bit ?  Which will allow it to pull forward at the height of its travel ?   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

UFO

Guide tracks in the original locations?Not sure if it's even possible to install them wrong.
Rollers hanging up?
Does the lift mechanism have the same travel without the glass installed?

gasoline_24

I have installed all new rollers and everything is moving freely.  I still need to give it one final spray, but it moves up and down fine.  When the glass is out the lift mechanism will go all the way to the top.  I will try to get some pics later this week for everyone to look at.

69*F5*SE

gasoline_24

Well it has been some time since I last posted under this thread so I thought I would bring everyone up to date.  I was able to fix the gap after numerous hours of trial and error.  I bought new motors and the wire harness was hitting on the door pillar, which prevented the window from going all the way up.  I have since become somewhat of an expert at disassembling and reassembling a quarter window.

The latest problem is that I cannot get the entire passenger quarter window to adjust our enough  to catch the upper seal correctly or to line up with the passenger window.  I probably have taken this thing apart ten different times to tweak the regulator and still nothing.  I installed the drivers side and it took about 30 min to line everything up and it works perfectly.

I am off a little more than the thickness of the window.  I can force the glass into place and it works fine, but as soon as I roll it down it moves back in towards  the inside of the car.

I know these are a pain in the butt, however I was hoping somebody has had this same problem and could tell me what they did to fix this.  I have not taken apart the drivers side yet to make sure every thing is the same as far as bends and measurements, but that may be the next step.  Hopefully somebody has a better solution before I go through all of that work.