News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ANYBODY HERE INTO RC PLANES???

Started by skip68, May 15, 2009, 06:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skip68

Hi All,
My kid is turning 13 at the end of the month and has asked for a rc plane for his birthday. My brother was really into these things, and thought I'd go to him for suggestions, but he's being a butthead right now!  :brickwall: Anywho,......I was wondering if any members fly them and can suggest a brand/type/size for a beginner ??? I know they can get really expensive, and that's not my budget right now. I would like to find him something that won't break after the first crash. (I know that's inevitable)  :smilielol: Any info would be much appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Mrs.Skip68 ;)
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Tilar

I have a couple of them and actually have a runway that I keep mowed out in what was our old pasture field. It is an expensive hobbie that can come down in a pile of tooth picks in a hurry.

If you are going to get him a plane right off, The best thing for him to learn on will be a top wing plane with a large wingspan. 60 inch.  The larger the wingspan the more forgiving the plane will be.

That said, If you're concerned about him crashing, and he will... The best thing you can do for him is to get him the "Real Flight" fligh simulator from Tower Hobbies. It is not cheap. something like $200 I think, it's very realistic and if he can get to where he can fly it on the real flight simulator then he'll be able to fly the real thing.  It could be the difference between crashing a $400 plane and it breaking into splinters and crashing the $400 plane and not having to do anything more than fix a wing and recover it.

I have the Real Flight simulator but it's at my place in Texas and I probably won't get back there till this fall.

Found a pic of mine behind my guns without the wing. That one has a 63 inch wingspan. Eagle 63 with an OS-Max 50 FSR engine. That engine is over 23 years old and still runs good.

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

derailed

I second the realflight G4 simulator. Its a great way to get familiarized with rc flying and hand eye coordination. I bought it last year to learn to fly my helicopter and it helped tremendously. Also see if theres any local fields the RC guys hang out at. Usually somone will be willing to help a newbie out. Then I would look into an electric park flyer.

captnsim

Buy a controller that has a trainer port. This allows a experienced flier to connect his controller to yours and take over in case you get into trouble. Real flight is nice but to much money in my opinion. I'd spend that money on setting up a field box instead. Stay away from the Cox cheapies. They are junk.  :2thumbs:

bigcountry

I agree with getting the G4 flight simulator, they are pricey, but well worth it in the long run.  You will save hundreds on crashes and parts.
Several of us got together at work and bought the G4 and practiced for months before touching our first real aircraft.  We then ordered electric planes(T-28 Trojan) from Parkzone(http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-planes-parkzone-t-28-trojan-rtf.htm), took them out of the box,assembled them and flew without a problem.  We flew at least 10 times each before one of us had a crash.   I also recommend getting an electric plane (an RTF,Ready-to-Fly) for the first time, really low maintenance, easy to put together and use, and a lot less equipment to buy.  Just charge and go.  The electrics have come a long way in the last few years and it is easy to get the same performance from an electric as a gas.  Make sure you don't go too cheap and you won't be disappointed, just like anything else, you get what you pay for.  Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go to the local hobby store and see which models they carry and which ones they have parts readily available for. Another thing to consider is a membership to the AMA (http://www.modelaircraft.org/) they offer insurance for modelers that covers property damage and personal injury, just in case, especially if you are flying in an urban area.
Cut to size, Beat to fit, Paint to match.

Troy

Starting with an electric park model is probably the cheapest and easiest way to get into the hobby. Now that our "local" flying field is 45 minutes away we've switched to the smaller electrics so we can fly at the park. My step brother and I have electric helicopters that we can fly in the house and he has a tiny electric plane that he claimed was indestructible (until my step dad broke it!). Most of ours are the E-flite brand. Our big(ger) gas planes collect dust for the most part these days - and many of them have $500+ into them.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

mikepmcs

I'd go to the local airstrip and buy him an hour with an instructor in a Cessna.  He'll be hooked and can start working towards a private pilot's license.
He's too young to obtain one right now but you can get a balloon or glider license at 14.  He can use that time to study FAR's and get all sorts of ground instruction and be ready for his FAA exam when he is of age.  It cost me a little over $3000 total when I did it, including instructors, books, Aircraft...all of it.  I suggest putting money into a real license and fly the dang thing yourself.  How cool would that be, a 14yo with a balloon or glider license and then when your 16/17, blam....Private Pilot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_certification_in_the_United_States

Also, see if Nellis has a CAP(Civil Air Patrol). This could be a way in for him as well and teach him some really valuable skills(lifesaving, cpr, etc.....) He's the perfect age.  Not sure but flight trainng would be cheaper as well I bet. :scratchchin: 12-21years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Air_Patrol#Membership

Hold the phone...There you go!!! :2thumbs:

http://www.nvwg.cap.gov/

Wish I was introduced to that when I was his age...Sky's the limit.(pun just worked it's way in there :D)
:Twocents:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

By the way! Happy Birthday!

Pilots get all the chicks. 

Naval Aircrew don't do too bad either. ;)
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

wayfast1500

I useto be into the planes and cars.  Best beginner plane is a pt .40 from great planes.  Real easy to build, wing is held on by elastics so it just falls off in a crash.  The engine is cheap it's a .40, the plane will stunt when he gets better.  Don't skimp on the radio the plane requires a 4 channel, can use 3 if you lock the ailerons.  Feel free to ask me any questions I was huge in the hobby for years I built a bunch of them.

bigcountry

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 16, 2009, 01:46:13 PM
By the way! Happy Birthday!

Pilots get all the chicks. 

Naval Aircrew don't do too bad either. ;)

But Marine Corps Aviation rules the roost. :2thumbs: :nana:

mikepmcs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWPfuKuEGIA&feature=related

Man, think it's about time to be thinking about getting current again.  I was spoiled tooling around in that P-3 all those years on the Navy's time and forgot how fun it was to just tool around in a Cessna and look at the sights. :2thumbs:

Troy

Hey Mike - I bet you can't do it for $3,000 these days! Even when I went through training our discounted rate on the plane was $42 per hour and $15 for the instructor (now that's about $80-105 and $20-25). The national average is about 65 flight hours to get a Private Certificate (and don't forget the cost of the exams, books, charts, and equipment). I'd have to add up the total but I think mine cost me about $6,000 in 1997 (although I was in a Part 141 school and worked on some Instrument and Commercial maneuvers as well). I'd bet that would cost at least another $2500-3,000 now.

I can buy an R/C plane ready to go for the cost of 1 hour in a helicopter.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

mikepmcs

Quote from: Troy on May 16, 2009, 02:29:06 PM
The national average is about 65 flight hours to get a Private Certificate (and don't forget the cost of the exams, books, charts, and equipment).
Troy

Does that mean I'm above average :D

Not that far off, my check ride was Jan 17th 1995.
My exam was free. Charts were free.  I agree it might cost more these days but I guess my point was he might want to fly for real and thought I'd just give a different option for a birthday gift.   :cheers:

bigcountry

Last year I check into it and it was around $82 an hour just for the aircraft.  That was in KY, and we usually pay a lot less for stuff here. 

You can be in the air with a nice scale electric RTF for less than $300.

bordin34

My cousin who is 17 got his pilot license this year. To make it cheaper ,along with other reasons, he joined the sea cadets which gave him some better rate or something like that.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

mikepmcs

Dan, that's why I posted a CAP link from Nellis.    :2thumbs:

Wow, i really got this way off track.  I apologize Lisa and Chuck...my intentions were harmless, but I still stick with what I would do if it were me, so I ask you to at least check out what I posted above :icon_smile_big:.

I know nothing about purchasing RC planes, save the fact that they are cool to watch. 
I remember watching a guy with gas powered little cars when I was a boy in Hawaii(damnit, there I go again).  I imagine that could be quite a fun hobby.

Just so I have some valid input and address your original question:

Here's a remote control plane for ya.
http://www.trendtimes.com/remote-control-air-force-1-plane.html

Ready to fly right out of the box for $68 and it looks like Air Force One. 

MTFBWY
Mike

bordin34

For the r/c plane, I would go to www.towerhobbies.com and find a plane with a big wing that flies slow. You have to decide if you want one pre-built that all you have to do is rubber band on the wing or a kit, which is basically a box of toothpicks, fancy toothpicks. You also need to decide if you want the "frame" of the plane to be made out of balse or styrofoam, both have their advantages of which I know nothing of. You also need to decide if you want a glow power plane which is nitromethanol which I would not recommend as a first plane or electric. Check out www.rcuniverse.com they have a huge forum for everything r/c. 

Mahwah,NJ

last426

Wow, I admit tht I am a tightwad but maybe that is why I am about to retire.  I would just go to harbor freight and get him a yellow bee, much fun and spare wings are ten bucks, or a wild hawk http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94774 Let him crash and burn, he will learn.  That's what being a kid is all about.  Oh, on those foam wings use that clear packing tape to make them stronger.  Flying without it is a fast disaster. Kim

BigBlackDodge

bordin34

The best place to go for advice would be a hobby shop.

Mahwah,NJ

Finn

Ive been flying R/Cs since I was about 12...haven't had time to recently with the project cars/school/work but I still have all mine. Great hobby!

One of the best options for beginners IMO is the RTF (read-to-fly) "park-flyer" electric powered planes. They're easy to work with, tough, and way less expensive depending on which one you get.
Now I havent kept recent with whats out there but what I learned to fly with was called a Hitec Sky Scooter Pro. I did some searching and this is the closest I could find to them:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/240028.asp

The great things the Sky Scooter was it was less then 200 bucks ready to go and it had replacement parts readily available. For example, you can still buy the entire fuselage for 26 bucks.
the whole wing section for about the same. It had a lot of great features on it like a folding prop and a kill switch for the motor that activates automatically when a lever hits ground during landings.
It had ailerons/elevator/throttle control so once you got the hang of it you could really have a lot of fun with it. They were a low density foam build so they could really take a beating (watch out for high density foam, its much more brittle). Most any damage could be fixed by epoxy or fiberglass tape and true to their park-flyer name you can fly them in limited spaces, which really comes in handy where I live.

Having since moved up to gas planes and higher powered electric, I can honestly say Im very glad I started slow and simple. The gas planes are usually all ARF (almost ready to fly) or kit and even with the ARF it discourages you quick to put it all together yourself then have a crash. Ive never actually totaled a plane but I put a beating on the first gas trainer I flew because it was just so much faster, bigger, and (to me at least) more unforgiving then the electrics. I actually remember not wanting to fly the plane again after the first time because it was so nerve-racking (hey I was probably 13 at best) but luckily I had a great older friend that really convinced me keep trying. The simulators can help but there's still a lot of in-field experience that they cant really duplicate. I highly recommend going to a local field and asking for help, its pretty similar to the mopar hobby and people like to help out new comers.

Whats really great about this hobby is you'll never really out grow it. When I was flying all the time I used to have a great time hanging out with the 50+year-olds who had the really nice planes and just watching them. We'd all go back to this one guy's shop (he worked in special FX so it was really an awesome shop) and just mess around with stuff. We actually rigged a live feed camera into one of his giant scale planes and flew it from the TV in the back of his truck. True story. Really had a blast and a lot of great stories come from it. Once I wrap up the cars, Ive got an 81" wingspan piper cub that Im converting to a brush-less electric motor with full on lights and all to finish.

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

wayfast1500

Hobby shop is the best way to go.  The one I go to, the owner will actually give you lessons when you buy a plane from him.  I've never bought a ARF mine were all kits, then you get to see how it goes together if you crash it.

KS71owner

I haven't flown R/C in a long time, but I used to all the time when I was younger. My dad started me out sailplanes at about age 12, and I worked my way up to an electric-powered trainer. All of my planes were kits, but there are plenty of good ARFs for beginners out there. I agree completely about the simulator - it's a great tool for learning without the risk of crashing a physical kit. The trainer cable transmitters are also a godsend - with an experienced instructor on the other end it makes actual flight training a lot less stressful.

As for me, I my first big "gas" powered plane was a Sig Kadet. I also had a couple of Stiks, a Sig Wonder, Sig Kougar, a GT Generix NOT4SALE and a few others. My dad had a big Extra 300s that was a blast. It's probably been about 8 years since I've flown anything.

Tilar

Quote from: wayfast1500 on May 17, 2009, 03:08:13 PM
Hobby shop is the best way to go.  The one I go to, the owner will actually give you lessons when you buy a plane from him.  I've never bought a ARF mine were all kits, then you get to see how it goes together if you crash it.

Both of mine were kits. I think I enjoyed building them as much as I enjoy flying them.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.