News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chrysler Says It Will Eliminate 789 Dealers

Started by 451-74Charger, May 14, 2009, 10:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

451-74Charger

NEW YORK (AP) -- Chrysler LLC wants to eliminate 789 of its U.S. 3,200 dealerships, saying in a bankruptcy court filing Thursday that the network is antiquated and has too many stores competing with each other.

Read story and see list:
http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story/Chrysler-Says-It-Will-Eliminate-789-Dealers/x0m51M8cx0iu0qlrBxYnnw.cspx

71ChallengeHer

Good, the dealership I go to isn't on the list.  :2thumbs:

41husk

The ones that are still are not ready to deal on the Challenger, I was just told the best I could do is 1k below sticker at one that will be gone in 3 weeks.  I guess all that inventory will be dispersed to the remaining dealers :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

dads_69

Bum deal, I see my friends dealership is closing in Washington state. My boss has two new challengers now also, wonder what they'll be worth next year?
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

472 R/T SE

Well my Mom's dealership survived the chopping block.  I didn't figure Chrysler would shut down a dealership that was selling 500 new & used a month when times were good.  I imagine if the place she was working for wouldn't have gotten bought out (small ma' & pop) she'd be lookin' for a job.

The place we bought our last rig from is shutting down.  At least the closest one to us is staying open.

Martian R/T

The dealership that I worked at in Utah is on the list, my little Brother still works there, luckily the dealer that I work at now is safe,(for now) I'm not sure what the future holds, but its not looking to good to be working for a Chrysler dealer, too bad I have spent 20 years peddling parts for a Chrysler dealer, it seems now that I need to find a real job. :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:
                            1970 Charger R/T 440 Auto 3:55 Martian Green???

Silver R/T

Dishman Dodge here in Spokane, WA wasn't on the list so I guess they're safe for now
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

grdprx

So, these closures are in addition to all the prior closures/consolidations?  Bummer.

Silver R/T

Quote from: grdprx on May 14, 2009, 04:26:37 PM
So, these closures are in addition to all the prior closures/consolidations?  Bummer.

yes, and they're probably not final closures either. Who knows maybe years from now only dealer left will be toyota and some other Japanese brands.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TheGhost

I can't open the list of the dealerships.  Can anyone else tell me which dealers in Nebraska are closing?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Silver R/T

Quote from: TheGhost on May 14, 2009, 04:36:45 PM
I can't open the list of the dealerships.  Can anyone else tell me which dealers in Nebraska are closing?

do you have adobe reader? If so, save link to your computer and then open link with Reader.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

resq302

well, looks like I will have to find another dealership further away since they are closing the one closest to me in Butler, NJ.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Silver R/T

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

moparstuart

here are the local Kansas city ones closing ( list assemble my moparhound )

Bud Brown Chrysler, Weinberg Dodge, Raytown Dodge, Jack Miller Chrysler, Keystone Chrysler, Jim Clark Motors, Miller-O'quinn, Tony Marten's in Platte City
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

TheGhost

Well, both of the local dealerships aren't on that list, thankfully.

mikepmcs

DARCARS OF FAIRFAX, INC. DBA DARCARS CHRYSLER OF FAIRFAX 66420 C
10620 LEE HIGHWAY
FAIRFAX, VA 22030-4398
JOHN R DARVISH

I used to work here in the mid 80's before the Navy. 
It was called Fairfax Chrysler Plymouth World back then. 
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

TruckDriver

The dodge dealer here in town by me is one that got the axe. But they also sell Fords, yes Fords, so I'm sure they will still be here selling cars. They sell a lot of Roush & Shelby Mustangs out of here.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bull

We're losing two in the area, Timberline Dodge in Portland and Gresham Chrysler Jeep in Gresham. That sucks because Timberline has been there for years and there are a couple of very keen parts guys there who've been a big help to me. They're the ones who got me the NOS Charger sail panel emblems. The people at the Dodge dealer closest to me don't know jack.

GN

The Chrysler plant here in Fenton Mo. closed one plant awhile ago and shut the other one down (for good?) a few weeks ago. Thats where most of the Chargers were built. Its sad to see the factory empty, people out of work.

jaak

Too bad Thornton Dodge in North Alabama isnt on the list, they suck.

Jason

Ghoste

Quote from: GN on May 14, 2009, 06:31:42 PM
Thats where most of the Chargers were built.

Just wondering, but most of the Chargers from which years?

TheGhost

Good, Roys Grand isn't on the chopping block.  Good dealership.  They hold a Mopar show at the end of May every year.  Good show.

Ghoste

I'm hearing other reports this morning though that the list wasn't a complete one and that other dealers who weren't on there are being notified of elimination.  Anyone else hear this or is it fear mongering and rumor?

694spdRT

Surpisingly, in my area, there are several "big" boys closing and the small ones are not. I didn't think some of the small ones sold enough to justify staying open. The place my dad and I bought our diesel's from got the ax and my sister bought her new van from another one that is closing.

I think they were aiming to have some dealers merge as I know a large one that got cut is joining up with another.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Brock Samson

there are four here on that list and add to that the 16th st. location where my mom bought her new '63 Lancer for a total of five.. only one left.

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on May 15, 2009, 08:11:29 AM
I'm hearing other reports this morning though that the list wasn't a complete one and that other dealers who weren't on there are being notified of elimination.  Anyone else hear this or is it fear mongering and rumor?

I heard that one of the dealerships in Washington, apparently one of the region's top sellers, is going to be closed and that they are going to appeal that decision. Makes no sense that they would close a busy dealership and I'm surprised to learn that the decision can be appealed. :shruggy:

Ghoste

Hmmm, perhaps there are some personal politics going on in the various sales regions?

1973_WP29P

One of the four that got the axe in Maine is a customer of mine. They sell Volkswagons and Jeeps. Maybe the Chrysler dealer in town will pick up the Jeep franchise.

Rosevillemoparts

we did not get axed but 40 others in Michigan did, 14 with in my try county area, Sad to see them close. Politics could have played but it was more on performance in new car sales and customer relation issues. small or big it did not metter.
moparDave

mikepmcs

Quote from: 1973_WP29P on May 16, 2009, 07:57:57 PM
One of the four that got the axe in Maine is a customer of mine. They sell Volkswagons and Jeeps. Maybe the Chrysler dealer in town will pick up the Jeep franchise.

I assume you are talking about Morong and thinking Bodwell will take up the slack??  I was wondering if Quirk or Darlings were going to get it to tell you the truth.  I new Central Maine Motors would be safe. :lol:

You watch though, as soon as NAS Brunswick closes, I see some stuff tanking down thataway pretty quick. :Twocents:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

69*F5*SE

Quote from: Rosevillemoparts on May 16, 2009, 08:05:44 PM
we did not get axed but 40 others in Michigan did, 14 with in my try county area, Sad to see them close. Politics could have played but it was more on performance in new car sales and customer relation issues. small or big it did not metter.

Yes, I was glad to see that you guys didn't get cut.  You're right around the corner from me and I used to work there as a kid being a porter when it was Jim Riehl's.  Monicotti got cut. Bummer for them. They've sponsered the Mopar Nats. in the past. 

Todd Wilson

I heard today that Bill Clinton has a relative that is a major player in the new car selling world. Owns a lot of shares of dealerships. The competition was eliminated in Lawrence Kansas by closing down the big dealer there so the Olathe dealer can get more business. Guess who owns part of that dealership.

Todd

1973_WP29P

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 16, 2009, 08:19:10 PM

I assume you are talking about Morong and thinking Bodwell will take up the slack??  I was wondering if Quirk or Darlings were going to get it to tell you the truth.  I new Central Maine Motors would be safe. :lol:

You watch though, as soon as NAS Brunswick closes, I see some stuff tanking down thataway pretty quick. :Twocents:

Yeah, Morongs does better with the Volkswagon sales then they do with Jeep. I think it is kinda funny thou. My brother was the parts manager for Morongs Brunswick. Last year they laid him off after 15 years of service. They did what alot of companies have been doing. Cut the higher paid people and keep the lower paid ones.

I'm hoping Bodwells picks it up. Bodwells is a pretty good customer of mine.

I'm curious to see what happens in Brunswick after BNAS closes. I'm afraid my sales will slow down even more when it happens.

hemi-hampton

YES, I'm glad your still their also, I buy alot of my parts from you & like all the after market parts available :2thumbs: LEON.

68charger383

I was across the street from Valley Dodge in Van Nuys today.

I usually look when I'm walking in to the building across the street to check out the new challengers and vipers they have in stock

However, all the new cars were gone. Only the service area was open.

I didn't realize this dealer was being closed. This is where Jay Leno got his challenger from.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=127486

Man talk about things happening fast!
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

maxwellwedge

Well - Look at the good side of this. Chrysler will get away with building less Superbirds to be legal for Nascar.  :eyes:

Joking aside, this totally stinks. If a store is selling units and making money why close them?

Ghoste

That's a damned good question, I have always thought that dealers were independent businessmen like other franchise owners.  Sure there's a dealer floor plan subsidized by Chrysler Financial and some dealers borrowed outright from Chrysler to get started but howmuch financial liability are they getting off the hook for here?

W4ATL

Went over to Atlanta Dodge to get some service done to my '96 Ram and they were shutting it down as of today. It wasn't on the list but one of the now ex-employees told me it was owned by a group from FL and they shut it down. 

moparstuart

Quote from: W4ATL on May 19, 2009, 02:11:59 PM
Went over to Atlanta Dodge to get some service done to my '96 Ram and they were shutting it down as of today. It wasn't on the list but one of the now ex-employees told me it was owned by a group from FL and they shut it down. 
Maybe chrysler should have asked for volenteers first before making the list   :smilielol: :smilielol:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE