News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got A Question

Started by Lost Sheep, May 16, 2009, 10:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Sheep

Do you guys think that A Pair of 906 Heads for a 383 or 440 that the owner wants 175 bucks for is a decent deal? these heads have no picture. I was going to put them on my 440 for my Charger.
Chicks Dig Muscle Cars

Ghoste

These are just a pair of used ones that he pulled off or...?

bull

No, not if they need rebuilt. Maybe $100/pair tops.

And if they're rebuilt the price is too low.

Ghoste

Ahh but what about somewhere between?  You know, a recently rebuilt set with low miles on them.

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on May 16, 2009, 10:55:49 PM
Ahh but what about somewhere between?  You know, a recently rebuilt set with low miles on them.

That would depend on how much you trust the seller I guess. I'd have to have documentation to believe they're anything but cores.

mikepmcs

Just an outsider looking in.... I agree with Bull..If they don't say they are worked or give other information on the condition with some documentation, consider them a base for rework and price accordingly.
Good luck.  :cheers:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

hemi-hampton

Just cost me $1,000 to have my heads rebuilt.  :scratchchin: LEON.

mikepmcs

WOW, now that changes things, rebuild or buy off the shelf from summit :scratchchin:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

bull

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 17, 2009, 09:40:19 AM
WOW, now that changes things, rebuild or buy off the shelf from summit :scratchchin:

Off the shelf heads are not automatically a bolt-n-go deal. Many people have found problems with them from all manufacturers. They still have to be checked carefully before you can run them.

mikepmcs

Well there you go.  I learned something today, thanks Curtis. :cheers:

Troy

I'd assume they need looked over at least. I think the going rate from most of the vendors (440Source et al) is $100 per head (core, used). Are they bare heads or do they include the rockers and shafts? Do you currently have heads on the 440 or do you need some? If you don't have any at all I'd suggest a set of the later 452 castings since they'll have hardened seats (and are generally cheaper). You can buy a set from AeroHead (Indy) completely rebuilt for around $500 (show price).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Lost Sheep

the seller hasnt returned my emails yet so I have idea what condition they are actually in. I do have the factory 1973 heads that came on this motor.
Chicks Dig Muscle Cars

Mike DC

Hey 'sheep!

If you can get the heads in front of you, try pouring some gasoline into the ports (so it puddles around the tops of the closed valves).  See if the gas leaks past the valve seats or not.  That's at least some indication of how well the valves/seats are sealing, which is some indication of whether they can be run as-is or they're just cores.  It's not a pefect system but it might reveal whether the seller is totally lying his ass off about the heads' history.