News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is this a good deal, cause im seriously thinking about it! (pics)

Started by Bulldog69RT, August 22, 2009, 10:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bulldog69RT

There's this add on craigslist for a '70 Charger for $6500. Heres what the add says...

Here is a 1970 Dodge charger that RUNS AND DRIVES SWEET. it is a 318 2 barell v-8 with a rebuilt 904 lock up transmission, and a 8 3/8 2.71 rearend. Has Recent 2 1/4" exhaust with 2 chamber FLOWMASTERS, New windshield and gasket, New front park light lenses, Has Recent Reapulsterd Front seats and a 68 rear seat used. Recent headliner, recent rebuilt front end with poly bushings, tierods, draglink, front brake shoes, wheel seals and brake hoses.

If there is any questions please email me, have clean title. and ALSO HAVE A NEW SET OF 15X8.5" AMERICAN RACING REPRODUCTION WHEELS IN BOXES THAT ARE AVAILABLE FOR A EXTRA PRICE.

Dont let this car pass by just needs some tlc and body work but you CAN drive it while you work on it,

'69 Charger R/T. Restoration in progress...

73TXRallye440

Bulldog69RT

dkn1997

The only difference between that and the ones sitting in a field for 2-3K is someone got this one running, threw an exhaust on it, and some seat covers.  any work you see that was done to this puts it in the "get her running" category and suspect at best.  I'd even the new stuff would have to be redone if you were really trying to put together a nice driver.  for the average beater driver, it may be ok.

Pros
-It's a charger
-runs and drives

Cons
-Ton of rust on it.  you can multiply the amount you see by at least 3. then double that.  If you go into it withthat
 assumption, you will be only mildly shocked when the true amount is uncovered.  That one will need quarters,
 rockers, trunk floor, quarter extensions, rechrome everything...that's just the tip of the iceberg
-Interior.  new seat covers and all, i'd call that "clapped out"  dash looks like it's been in the ocean.  when they
 are that dirty, that tells me it sat with the windows open.  No door panels unless I missed that.  

sorry if it sounds harsh, but you'd be better served spending 5K more and you could end up with something requiring many thousands less to get it where you want it.

Having bought my charger at the ripe old age of 26, and now that I'll be 40 soon...I can say that something I read recently on a thread here or at moparts rings true:  If you buy a project, you will spend money for at least 5 years and constantly be working on it.  If you buy something done for a lot more money, you will be spending money for at least 5 years.  the huge difference is that you will be driving and you will end up spending less in the end.

easier said than done.  Not everyone can plunk down 30-40K on a really nice car or get the financing.  If I were doing it again, I'd beg, borrow, and steal to get enough cash together to get something that's done.  They all still need work, but I'd rather spend a weekend installing 4 wheel discs than scraping undercoating.  

RECHRGED

Back N Black

Quote from: dkn1997 on August 22, 2009, 10:44:20 AM
 The only difference between that and the ones sitting in a field for 2-3K is someone got this one running, threw an exhaust on it, and some seat covers.  any work you see that was done to this puts it in the "get her running" category and suspect at best.  I'd even the new stuff would have to be redone if you were really trying to put together a nice driver.  for the average beater driver, it may be ok.

Pros
-It's a charger
-runs and drives

Cons
-Ton of rust on it.  you can multiply the amount you see by at least 3. then double that.  If you go into it withthat
 assumption, you will be only mildly shocked when the true amount is uncovered.  That one will need quarters,
 rockers, trunk floor, quarter extensions, rechrome everything...that's just the tip of the iceberg
-Interior.  new seat covers and all, i'd call that "clapped out"  dash looks like it's been in the ocean.  when they
 are that dirty, that tells me it sat with the windows open.  No door panels unless I missed that.  

sorry if it sounds harsh, but you'd be better served spending 5K more and you could end up with something requiring many thousands less to get it where you want it.

Having bought my charger at the ripe old age of 26, and now that I'll be 40 soon...I can say that something I read recently on a thread here or at moparts rings true:  If you buy a project, you will spend money for at least 5 years and constantly be working on it.  If you buy something done for a lot more money, you will be spending money for at least 5 years.  the huge difference is that you will be driving and you will end up spending less in the end.

easier said than done.  Not everyone can plunk down 30-40K on a really nice car or get the financing.  If I were doing it again, I'd beg, borrow, and steal to get enough cash together to get something that's done.  They all still need work, but I'd rather spend a weekend installing 4 wheel discs than scraping undercoating.  

Very good advice and i agree.

Bulldog69RT

ya tru. thats exactly what i was looking for. Thanks. I think ill just continue on as planned with my '69, seeing as its rust free and its an R/T  :coolgleamA:. I think im gonna sell my dirtbike and use that money to go towards a paint job and the rest of my sheet metal.

68X426

Keep going on yours as planned. Good call.

Too much rust times $6500 equals too much time and too little left for everything else you'll want.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Charger440RDN

It probably needs $5,000 worth of new repo sheet metal and then you still have to paint it and do the interior. It's tempting though because it is a running car and it's getting harder to find a Charger these days.  :rotz: