News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FAST class secret cam grinds

Started by Ghoste, July 06, 2009, 09:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

This is more or less just a question for my own interest, but, I was reading some little blurb about Bob Karakashian's secret cam grind that he has available for the FAST class Mopars.  So I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with those secret grinds and if they drive those cars on the street?  I know Ed Cook runs a couple of cars in FAST but I have no idea what cam he uses or if he drives them on the street.  That's it, no deep mystery just throwing it out to see what comes back.

Rolling_Thunder

There was a write up on Dudek's Hemi a while back in one of the rags...      he even gave the specs but it was a big roller stick...        You have to remember these guys are required to stay close to a "stock idle" - but the massive cubes eat most of the sound of these cams...       don't know much about K's cam grinds - he is one helpful dude though - maybe just shoot him an e-mail and ask him what he thinks --->     :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

375instroke

I'm thinking they are giving something up on the bottom where they won't be able to use the power, and making it up at higher speeds.  Would probably be doggy on the street.

Ghoste

That is kind of my guess too since they have to make those big numbers without overpowering the stock size rubber at the launch.

firefighter3931

Rumor has it that Bob K has Engle grind his famous "6-pack" cam profiles. The lobes are most likely standard catalog stuff with some type of wide split and wide lsa to his specs. I remember someone posting a pic of one of his cams awhile back and it had Engle stamped on the flank.  ;)

Dwayne does a lot of work with the FAST guys and has developed a few nice cam profiles that seem to work quite well with the restrictive manifold exhaust systems. Lots of R&D as well as dyno time has gone into these proprietary grinds. The really competetive builds are not very street friendly....big stroke and LOTS of compression.

I just dropped off a 6-pack setup for Dwayne to play with because all the quick wedge builds use them as opposed to the factory cast iron intake manifolds which are quite restrictive. He has a mule engine setup like a FAST type build and is currently doing some serious dyno thrashing & experimenting. Seeing as He does most of the cylinder head work for those guys and knows how to port (Huge Understatement  ;) ) this progression in the evolution of the FAST build seems only natural.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

You aren't aware of anyone running those kind of cams on the street though are you Ron?
And no it isn't something I'm contemplating, just trying to be aware of what's going on out there.

firefighter3931

I'm sure that some guys run them on the street on a limited basis (local car cruise) but these engines all burn race fuel and use agressive solid roller cams. They may sound somewhat mild but they're really race engines and should be treated as such.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Troy

There's an article in the latest Hemmings Muscle Machines about the fastest of the FAST cars. Only one guy lists the cam specs (solid-lifter roller 242/248 duration at .50" and .725" lift in a 486 cid Hemi w/13:1 compression). The intake and exhaust manifolds are only stock looking on the outside. The big thing I noticed is the compression - guys are anywhere from 13-16.75:1 with iron heads! Some do tricks like making 2nd gear "soft" to keep wheel spin down and all use extensive weight reduction techniques (one even removes every other spring in the passenger seat).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Rolling_Thunder

Wow -   if K's cams are from Engle I would bet it is a K56 / K60 grind on whatever LSA - the K56 and K60 lobe have 4* more advertised duration per lobe but more lift...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip