News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what do you think of these bearings?

Started by Charger72SE, May 10, 2009, 07:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger72SE

what do you think of these bearings?  I'm due to repack the bearings and thought to maybe just replace them since I thiink they are the originals.  I don't want to put junk in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=270372571037

thanks for your comments!!

Charger-Bodie

You are better off with used bearings in good condition than new Chinese ones. Thety fail alot and pretty quicly in my experiance......If your old ones just need a repack, Do just that.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bull

I wouldn't buy that kit for two reasons:

1. Because all you're getting is bearings, no races. It's best if you can buy bearings and races as a matched set but even if you can't do that I still would not recommend matching new bearings with old races.

2. It doesn't say where the bearings were made. The auction says a lot about how they put the sets together in the good 'ol USA but nothing about where they were produced. Red flag.

If you're going to use your originals just be sure to clean them off very well and check them and the races for any pitting, heat checking and deep grooves. If you can catch your fingernail on any part of a clean roller or race surface you should probably replace them. There are plenty of quality bearings and races out there that are made in the US or Germany such as Timkin, SKF or FAG (yes, you read it right) that would be good replacements. If you do replace them be sure to tell the guy at the counter you don't want any Chinese junk. Any parts store like Napa will carry these parts, or can at least order them in.

Things to look for: http://www.theautoist.com/wheel_bearing_maintenance.htm

Charger72SE

Sublime/Sixpack

And if you reuse yours don't spin them with compressed air after cleaning them. I've seen many guys do that and its not good for the bearings.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak