News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got to see my first General Lee

Started by Martian R/T, May 11, 2009, 01:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martian R/T

I never was a fan of the General lee, it always annoyed me when people say about my Charger, oh like the Dukes of Hazzard, you should paint it orange and put a flag on it, that usually ended the conversation, so it has always been a sore spot with me, but a guy that I know showed up at the dealership that I work at driving his, and I have never seen people react to a car like that, all the sales people and customers came running to get a look, little kids who I don't think could have seen the show were wanting to honk the horn, it was crazy, I stood there and watched in amazement at the way people acted to this orange Charger, it was beyond anything I had ever seen, so I guess I have a better understanding why the are so many GL clones, I still think I will thump the next person to tell me to paint mine orange. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
                            1970 Charger R/T 440 Auto 3:55 Martian Green???

69*F5*SE

Yeah, I don't think 2nd gens will ever get passed the General Lee harrassment.     :eek2:

Back N Black

Quote from: Martian R/T on May 11, 2009, 01:13:48 PM
I never was a fan of the General lee, it always annoyed me when people say about my Charger, oh like the Dukes of Hazzard, you should paint it orange and put a flag on it, that usually ended the conversation, so it has always been a sore spot with me, but a guy that I know showed up at the dealership that I work at driving his, and I have never seen people react to a car like that, all the sales people and customers came running to get a look, little kids who I don't think could have seen the show were wanting to honk the horn, it was crazy, I stood there and watched in amazement at the way people acted to this orange Charger, it was beyond anything I had ever seen, so I guess I have a better understanding why the are so many GL clones, I still think I will thump the next person to tell me to paint mine orange. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Thats not the type of attention that i'm looking for, but each to his own.

Arkgl01

I have a General lee and I know lots of people dont care for it. I grew up watching it and made me a mopar fan from age 4! The General lee got me interested in cars and I know the show ruined alot of them but still got lots of cars saved too. I love my general but you cant drive it any where..I went to the store one time for my wife and was in the general and when I came out I was blocked in and everyone wanted to know about it. Its really cool and at car shows its fun but it does get old. Another thing is no one has any respect for the general people do not mind opening the door and sitting in it at a show. It is so hard to tell the kids you wont blow the horn one more time..lol

I have my black 69 and it gets alot of attention but from a different crowd of people that understand and respect muscle cars!
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

Mike DC

Yeah, it's an experience.  I really don't know of any other vehicle you could compare it to. 

When GL owners say "you can't take it anywhere without a crowd" they're not just talking about the way a new Viper or an old Challenger draws a crowd.  Lots of cars get attention, but a GL is an entirely different sport. 

QuoteAnother thing is no one has any respect for the general people do not mind opening the door and sitting in it at a show. It is so hard to tell the kids you wont blow the horn one more time..lol

So true.  The same random strangers who wouldn't dare lean their leg against my raggedy 1995 Dakota in public, are liable to just sit right down on the fender of my GL.  The car just seems to shut down that portion of their brains that warns against messing with someone else's property.  It's hard to explain how blatant people can be when it's a GL. 

skip68

That's why I stress to everyone if they build a GENERAL LEE, "DO NOT SPEND TOO MUCH ON PAINT".   :rotz:    If you were a movie star, people would want to touch you and take pictures with you.  So, the same goes for the GENERAL LEE.  It is a celebrity and will get the same attention.  :yesnod:   My car gets touched more than I can count and you know what, that's ok.   This is what I made the car for.   My family to enjoy and all others.  My car has made so many adults and children happy that it makes it all worth it.   I don't want any scratches but, it will get them and has gotten a few.   I think from my own kids.  :smilielol:    The reaction from people is nuts and does get old.  I can't come to one stop without someone giving me a thumbs up or saying something.   But hey, that's what it's all about and I'm damn proud of my white trash car.    :rofl:   :2thumbs:   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Martian R/T

I know that the Charger gathers alot of attention normally,  it would be nice to just get gas without someone wanting to talk to you about the car, but this was insane, people opening the doors and pawing all over the GL, I would go berserk , I get mad when someone messes with my Charger, I don't think I could do that, it is definitely to much attention, when I was moving, I had the Charger on my car trailer, and getting gas was a 30 minute ordeal, everyone wanted to chat, plus driving down the road, everyone wanted to stay right beside the car and gawk, I have a new appreciation for anyone who would subject themselves to owning a GL.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Martian R/T on May 11, 2009, 03:34:53 PMI had the Charger on my car trailer, and getting gas was a 30 minute ordeal, everyone wanted to chat,
Just last Friday i drove my Charger to work and stopped at the bank on my way home.  As i'm walking out of the bank an older guy is walking in, sees me going for the Charger, then strikes up a conversation about it and then proceeds to tell me about his friends '69 GTX ragtop that sold at BJ for 6 figures for about 15 minutes.  I dont mind a quick converstion but i had to get home in the rain!

I remember when i saw my first general lee, i was about 5 years old in 1980 and mom took us to meet Dad at his work and there was one in the parking lot.  I was hooked ever since..  :yesnod:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

mikepmcs

The nerve of some people...... :D Of course nobody ever gets to look at mine cause it's in pieces right now. :lol:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

GL0169

i agree with skip68 ,if you cant touch it you cant enjoy it - here's my story  one day i was comeing out of the bank where i worked and a man came up to me and said, my son is haveing a birthday party and loves the dukes of hazzard and general lee- he went on to tell me that his son is mentally handicaped and he's not  sure how much i would charge to birng the general lee to the party - i said, dont worry about it save your money ,what is your address and time  - he gave me his address but didnt think i was going to show- that saturday i got some dukes of hazzard items from my stock pile and wrapped them up- when i pulled up to his party and honked the horn - the smile on this kids face and his dads face was like a gift from heaven - his dad said thanks for letting him see the general lee -i told him you dont see the general lee you ride the  general lee - so with the kid in shotgun and his brothers and dad in the back -we drove around town for half an hour honking the horn and waveing to everyone - afterwards we had cake- he opened his gifts and was the happiest kid in the whole world that day.    thats what the GENERAL LEE is for- to make people happy for a moment in time   

Sublime/Sixpack

1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

runningman

Quote from: GL0169 on May 11, 2009, 06:07:53 PM
i agree with skip68 ,if you cant touch it you cant enjoy it - here's my story  one day i was comeing out of the bank where i worked and a man came up to me and said, my son is haveing a birthday party and loves the dukes of hazzard and general lee- he went on to tell me that his son is mentally handicaped and he's not  sure how much i would charge to birng the general lee to the party - i said, dont worry about it save your money ,what is your address and time  - he gave me his address but didnt think i was going to show- that saturday i got some dukes of hazzard items from my stock pile and wrapped them up- when i pulled up to his party and honked the horn - the smile on this kids face and his dads face was like a gift from heaven - his dad said thanks for letting him see the general lee -i told him you dont see the general lee you ride the  general lee - so with the kid in shotgun and his brothers and dad in the back -we drove around town for half an hour honking the horn and waveing to everyone - afterwards we had cake- he opened his gifts and was the happiest kid in the whole world that day.    thats what the GENERAL LEE is for- to make people happy for a moment in time   

Awesome story!!!  :cheers:

skip68

:2thumbs:  Great story.   I was driving around my neighborhood several months ago and had a guy in a white hummer stop me.  He told me his nephew was 9 years old and loved the dukes and has several seasons on DVD.  He then asked if I could fallow him to the kids house that was 1 mile away and surprise him.   I said no problem, I was just putting more miles on the break in anyway.  The guy called ahead and told the kids mother to have them come outside before we got there.   I pull up, hit the horn and the kid went nuts.  I then gave him a ride for a couple miles with mom and two other kids in the back.   We squealed the tires once and hit the horn a few times and then went back to his house for some pictures.  I let him sit out the window on the door just like Bo Duke for the last picture.   I think this made this kids year and that was so cool.  I have the attitude that if you want to look at a car, go to a museum.   :yesnod:   I could never not enjoy my car.   It's like having a hot wife but not touching her.  :shruggy:  How much fun is that ?  Like I say, I mean no offense to anyone.  You can admire your car all you want, I'll be out back doing donuts with mine.   :2thumbs: :smilielol:   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

GL0169

yeah - i will join you out back to do some dounuts

CB

Quote from: Back N Black on May 11, 2009, 01:25:13 PM
That's not the type of attention that I'm looking for, but each to his own.

When I was in Vegas with Chuck, sitting next to him , cruising the Strip or the neighborhood I couldn't believe how much attention it draws.
People stopped jogging to watch us passing by, honking, thumbs up, even girls flashing their boobs!!!
Chucks Lee next to a (with $160K) beautifull restored 1969 R/T, a really cool 68 Charger and my 4-speed Charger and guess who had the most attention? Right, Chucks' Lee!
No, really, if you like to be a celeb, drive around in a Lee  :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

GL#10

Hey

Try driving a screen used GL  , people really go nuts , when i drove WGL57  from Los Angeles to Glendale in Arizona in 2001 , i was stopped 6 times by the Highway Patrol , no wasn't speeding  , they just wanted to take a look and get a pic , 4  times by the California Highway Patrol , and two by the Arizona Highway Patrol , one officer even made me blow the horn so he could relay it on his radio  to his station , funny stuff , they where all good people , just made the trip to Az so much longer !!!.

K.c

BrianShaughnessy

Like it or not...    the General Lee is considered to be one of the most famous and recognized cars EVER.    It takes a special breed of person
that wants to drive a GL clone or whatnot and frankly there's a price to pay for it. 

Maybe some people want the attention...  some don't.   If you don't want the attention then it's probably not a good idea to paint your car orange and put a dixie flag on top.

I get enough problems from the self described auto body and paint experts always looking for problems with my black car when I go places to bother wanting anymore.    I hear the comments all the time "It's a General Lee car" from folks at shows or cruises anyway.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Bob

That is an awesome story.
Thanks for taking the time to put a smile on a kids face.
Bob

skip68

Real GL or clone, it's the same reaction.  But, I bet when you tell them it's the one of the real cars they really want to touch it or fallow you right K.c. ?   :yesnod:   Most people ask me, "Is that the real car from the show"?   ;)   Lisa and I had a guy the other day ask us is that a camaro ?   :smilielol: ::)  He was in his 30's and had no idea what kind of car it was.   Thanks for reminding me about the girl on the strip flashing boobs CB.   :drool5:   She was probably looking at me and not the car.   ::)

Mike DC

It's actually difficult to convince a lot of normal observers that a real GL is in fact real. 

The real survivors are just raggedy battle-scarred workhorses.  40-footers at best. 

But people often expect "the real thing" to be gorgeous & super fast & highly optioned.   

bull

One good thing about the General Lee in my case is when I'm trying to explain my Charger to a person who doesn't know a header from a heater. I just say, "Remember the General Lee? It's the same body style just one year older and black instead of orange." Then they always get it.

Martian R/T

Truly amazing story, I never thought about that side of a celeb Charger, that puts alot into perspective, you always here of celebs doing that kind of stuff for people, but I see that it would be the same type of situation, I have to applaud you GL owners for all you do, I have to say that I could never own one, I am to selfish about my Charger, I have never even let my wife drive it, well thank you all for opening my eyes about the true purpose of the GL, keep up the good work. :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

68coronetGLwannabe

A while back at a local cruise a family with a mentally challenged daughter came to look at my GL. They told me she loved the DOH and watched her DVDs everyday. I let her set in the car for pics and play the horn. The smile on that girls face I will never forget. Her whole family was so happy and excited for her, we thought we may have to pry her out of the car. My 21 year old daughter who could car less about cars rode in it with me one day she couldn't believe all the people that were staring and gawking. the GL put a smile on my face and bring a smile to many others young and old and I enjoy every minute of it! I can only hope someone will ask me to bring it to there child's party so they can enjoy it as much as my family has. Maybe someday I will outgrow my GL but I hope that day never comes.  :2thumbs:
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

jb666

Quote from: skip68 on May 12, 2009, 08:46:55 AM
Real GL or clone, it's the same reaction.  But, I bet when you tell them it's the one of the real cars they really want to touch it or fallow you right K.c. ?   :yesnod:   Most people ask me, "Is that the real car from the show"?   ;)   Lisa and I had a guy the other day ask us is that a camaro ?   :smilielol: ::)  He was in his 30's and had no idea what kind of car it was.   Thanks for reminding me about the girl on the strip flashing boobs CB.   :drool5:   She was probably looking at me and not the car.   ::)

I agree -- How can someone on the street , watching you drive by, tell if it's a screen car or a clone? Either way it's like driving around with a parade float and Britney Spears dancing & singing on the back. The attention is unreal..

And I can tell you that by only putting 20 miles on mine  :lol:

Awesome story!!!! :cheers: :cheers:

skip68

I agree, you can't tell the difference from a clone or the real deal until you are told.   I feel for you GL#10,  I'm glad that I don't have to tell people mine is a real GENERAL LEE.   :yesnod:    I bet you can't get away from people once they find out it's real and start talking to you.   :pity:   :2thumbs: